Floor washing?

TallAdam85

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
So last week I was a guest for a schools black belt class A friend of mine was in town and use to train there. After the class the teacher said Soku and grab a rag I looked lost and said what? Then my friend told me time to clean the floor. So we washed the floor while he counted in korean. Now this was a first for me in the 8 years of trainning. Normaly If my teacher told me to wash the floor I grab a mop a bucket of mr clean and go to town. Now sure it shows respect to the dojo and keeps you humble but I just dont see the reason till still do it when u can get a wet jet to clean it and bleach it after the classes are done for the night. I just think it is taking martial arts little back lol The reason they cleaned by hand back then was 1 they lived there and 2 was no scrubing bubbles.

Adam just my thoughts

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Talladam when I was growing up it was tradition that all student got a towel and bucket and got on there hands and knees to clean the floor. Even today my student get to do this once a month we pull out the buckets and hand them a towel and on hands and knees the clean every single matt we have. I believe it humble the students and makes them relize that we all have to be humble every once in a while.

I hope you enjoyed the tradition, I know I always did and still do for I clean the floor as well with them.

PS by the way our floor gets mopped everyday so it really does not need the towel thing but the school enjoys it.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In the USA: having people to "volunteer" work without pay and an employment in place is usually a violation of federal labor laws and child labor laws.

For more info: www.dol.gov/flsa

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Counting as you did it?

That seems rather overboard... ok a lot overboard.

I've trained in places where students had to mop / sweep. It was fine, in some it was the lowest rank person there, sometimes everyone did it, including the instructor. But to stand there counting as you do it sounds to me like someone on a power trip.

Laurentkd

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Talladam when I was growing up it was tradition that all student got a towel and bucket and got on there hands and knees to clean the floor. Even today my student get to do this once a month we pull out the buckets and hand them a towel and on hands and knees the clean every single matt we have. I believe it humble the students and makes them relize that we all have to be humble every once in a while.

I hope you enjoyed the tradition, I know I always did and still do for I clean the floor as well with them.

PS by the way our floor gets mopped everyday so it really does not need the towel thing but the school enjoys it.

I agree. It's not necessary but is a good tradition IMO. I don't know, sort of gives you a connection to those who did train before you (before scrubbing bubbles). Makes you value what you are receiving. Plus it is a great workout ;)

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, Another way to look at it? First it is a tradition. 2. it is an ending excercise....and learning to be HUMBLE !

Lastly cheap labor to get the floor clean....Only kidding on the word cheap.

On those who use the floor...it is only right to put it back the way it was before....CLEAN.....

============================

We train in a Elementary Cafetoria...we (Instructors' who comes in early) have to move all the tables and chairs to one side.) After classes end we ask all the students to PLEASE help put the tables and chairs back.

We (Instructors) always sweep and clean the floors before everyone come in to train.

=====================

So if you ask to mop floors... be humble and willing to clean the floors as an honor too to do it! RESPECTFULL ! ......Aloha

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
...it is only right to put it back the way it was before....CLEAN.....

============================

We train in a Elementary Cafetoria...we (Instructors' who comes in early) have to move all the tables and chairs to one side.) After classes end we ask all the students to PLEASE help put the tables and chairs back.

We (Instructors) always sweep and clean the floors before everyone come in to train.

=====================

So ... be humble and willing to clean the floors as an honor too to do it! RESPECTFULL ! ......Aloha

Sounds a lot like my classes :) Oh, the grandeur of being a Martial Arts Teacher!!!!!!

JasonASmith

Black Belt
Reaction score
Sounds a lot like my dojo, as well...
I show up at least a half-an-hour early to warm-up and to vaccuum the mats...I just see it as part of the job...

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
So last week I was a guest for a schools black belt class A friend of mine was in town and use to train there. After the class the teacher said Soku and grab a rag I looked lost and said what? Then my friend told me time to clean the floor. So we washed the floor while he counted in korean. Now this was a first for me in the 8 years of trainning. Normaly If my teacher told me to wash the floor I grab a mop a bucket of mr clean and go to town. Now sure it shows respect to the dojo and keeps you humble but I just dont see the reason till still do it when u can get a wet jet to clean it and bleach it after the classes are done for the night. I just think it is taking martial arts little back lol The reason they cleaned by hand back then was 1 they lived there and 2 was no scrubing bubbles.

Adam just my thoughts

Not too sure what the purpose of standing there and counting is. Its not uncommon for the students to help in the upkeep of the dojo. While its not their business, physically, its still 'their' dojo in a sense. In the past, I've asked students to help out in the after class clean up, but I'm not above grabbing some papertowels and washing the mirrors, emptying the garbage or vaccuming the carpet or sweeping the floor, if it was wood or tile. If they can do it, so can I. In this case, it probably wouldn't have been as bad if, as you said, you were able to grab the mop and bucket.

Zida'sukara

Black Belt
Reaction score
We never did that at our Dojo but I think it is a good tradition. It makes you feel one with the Dojo and the Dojo is a part of your life.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
While I do not have my students do this I see nothing wrong with it. It is a traditional training exercise used to get the students to connect with themselves and their Training Hall. The counting may have been kind've differant as I have never heard of that but I am sure the overall emphasis is on getting that connection.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
There are ways to get people connected other than unpaid labor.

All it takes is one attorney to get involved and a beloved training hall may be shut down and silenced due to legal action. Have a minor child involved or have someone get hurt while performing the unpaid labor and the litigation will happen all the more swiftly.

Responsibility works in many ways. There is the responsibility of the students to take care and respect what they are learning and where they are learning it.

There is also the responsibility of the instructors and owners to understand and abide by the local laws, to set good examples for others, and to not do anything that would foolishly squander what everyone together has worked for.

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If a school wants to do this, and if the students are willing, then I see no real harm in this. If it helps build spirit and unity, then more power to them.

The scientist in me is a bit more torn on this subject, though. On one hand, I wonder why they do not take advantage of more modern cleaning equipment and chemicals. On the other hand, maybe exposure to that dirt and bacteria can help keep an immune system well-excercised.

gblnking

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
For me it’s already a very humbling experience paying the $100 + per month for the training. If you attend a locale community college would you get on your hands and knees to scrub the floor after class? Probably not.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
*shrug* I've been a member of the same health club for 11 years. They never asked me to scrub the floors. Yet I'm still loyal.

Laurentkd

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
For me it’s already a very humbling experience paying the $100 + per month for the training. If you attend a locale community college would you get on your hands and knees to scrub the floor after class? Probably not.

but if you take a chem class and make a mess do you clean it up before you leave?

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ok well I have a lawyer at my school and he gets on his hands and knees once a month and helps out, we do not mandate our students but they see me and my instructors do it and they join in it is not something we absolutelt need to have done it is something we do as a team working for the same common goals inside the dojaang.

You see it is not about getting cheap labor or free labor, we have a cleaning crew that comes in and cleans the school, we do it as part of our connection to the past and to build esteem between us that we are no better than the person next to us wheather they are a white belt or 10 degree BB. My grand Master when he comes to town and we do this joins in with us and he is 82 year old.

I guess I'm from a different era that is all.

Drag'n

Green Belt
Reaction score
Ah but a good era!
We sweep and wash the floors by hand after EVERY training session here in Japan.
Not only is it part of a tradition but an important lesson.
Martial arts based on a DO philosophy are about more than just whacking each other. They are also about building character and overcomming the weaknesses of your ego.
Exercises like this teach humility and a sense of community in the dojo. It teaches a sense of appretiation for your dojo. Its your sweat and blood on the floor. Why should someone else have to clean it up for you?
Its not a health club its a DOjo.
Its also a great exercise when done properly. Try running lengths of the dojo pushing a rag with your hands. Or when on your knees push the rag out as far as you can tightenning your abs to suspend your body just above the ground and then pull back to starting position. Who needs an ab wheel?

Those who follow a Do path find ways to incorporate their training in to all their daily activities.Even house cleaning becomes a way of training your body and perfecting yourself.
The act of washing the dojo floors is supposed to illustrate this point. It has nothing to do with free labor or power trips.
In polishing the floor you learn to polish your self.

Zida'sukara

Black Belt
Reaction score
I do not intent to spread my blood over the Dojo Floor on regular basis....well at least not today... ;) :D

Understand your point Drag'n and I surely agree that it is a good exercise for both body and soul but we simpely dont do it in our dojo, nobody did till now and nobody talked about it.

I would not have a problem with it, can be fun too!! :)

Latest Discussions