Floating Elbow Theory

futsaowingchun

Black Belt
Reaction score
This is a short and simple exercise you can do to get familiar with the idea of the elbow moving in a dynamic and circular position. The concept is call Floating Elbow theory. The idea is that the elbow is not in a fixed position but can move in any direction , and that it's not important to have the elbow on the Centerline or a certain distance from the body..By using the Floating Elbow idea more possibilities open up.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
This is a short and simple exercise you can do to get familiar with the idea of the elbow moving in a dynamic and circular position. The concept is call Floating Elbow theory. The idea is that the elbow is not in a fixed position but can move in any direction , and that it's not important to have the elbow on the Centerline or a certain distance from the body..By using the Floating Elbow idea more possibilities open up.
Interesting.

I do some similar drills but with very small elbow circles and without moving the bridge (or wrist) so far off centerline which creates openings in one's defense. Also, I often work with rising and sinking arm, essentially using a small vertical circle. In any case, I believe an "alive" and elastic elbow is very important. I think this is close to what you mean by a "floating"elbow.

BTW, do you also apply this elastic quality to waist, body, and stance?

OP
futsaowingchun

futsaowingchun

Black Belt
Reaction score
Interesting.

I do some similar drills but with very small elbow circles and without moving the bridge (or wrist) so far off centerline which creates openings in one's defense. Also, I often work with rising and sinking arm, essentially using a small vertical circle. In any case, I believe an "alive" and elastic elbow is very important. I think this is close to what you mean by a "floating"elbow.

BTW, do you also apply this elastic quality to waist, body, and stance?

Yes to all of your questions..I will make some videos on how I use the Floating elbow.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I have problem to understand your logic here. Do you suppose to have a goal first, you then find a path to achieve your goal?

You talk about floating elbow (path), but you haven't mentioned your goal yet.

- Why do you want to train floating elbow (What's your goal)?
- Why do you think the floating elbow is the only path that can help you to reach to your goal?

OP
futsaowingchun

futsaowingchun

Black Belt
Reaction score
I have problem to understand your logic here. Do you suppose to have a goal first, you then find a path to achieve your goal?

You talk about floating elbow (path), but you haven't mentioned your goal yet.

- Why do you want to train floating elbow (What's your goal)?
- Why do you think the floating elbow is the only path that can help you to reach to your goal?

My goal is to improve myself and expand my martial art which is a reflection of myself. The Floating Elbow is only one thing but a big thing as it can change how you do your martial art..Its much more then that simple exercise in the video..I never said the Floating Elbow is the only path.. Its one path.. My path..

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
My goal is to improve myself and expand my martial art which is a reflection of myself. The Floating Elbow is only one thing but a big thing as it can change how you do your martial art..Its much more then that simple exercise in the video..I never said the Floating Elbow is the only path.. Its one path.. My path..

In what situation would you use a floating elbow?

OP
futsaowingchun

futsaowingchun

Black Belt
Reaction score
A: Why do you train foot sweep?
B: To take my opponent down.

A: Why do you train uppercut?
C: To knock my opponent down.

A: Why do you train floating elbow?
D: To improve my MA skill.

Is D's answer too abstract?
My answer to your questions are not abstract because The Floating Elbow is not a simple technique. It developes many things not like sweeping someone foot or and upper cut as your example..That is a to simplistic of an answer.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The Floating Elbow is not a simple technique. It developes many things
What are those "many things"? Could you provide more detail?

- Do you use floating elbow to block a punch?
- What kind of punch?
- How do you use it to block a punch?
- Do you use floating elbow to strike?
- How to use floating elbow to strike?

Here is an example that one uses elbow to deflect a straight chest punch. Do you try to achieve something similar?

Last edited:
OP
futsaowingchun

futsaowingchun

Black Belt
Reaction score

- What kind of punch?

Here is an example that one uses elbow to deflect a straight chest punch. Do you try to achieve something similar?

The picture quality is bad but I would say no..Thats not what I do..He always backing up I would bridge and rediirect his forse using my floating elbow.

OP
futsaowingchun

futsaowingchun

Black Belt
Reaction score
What does the "Floating Elbow" do? Can you explain how it works and relates to the concepts and principles of the system?
The floating Elbow, connects, absorbs,and re-directs incoming force moving it in a circular path. In Wing Chun you have the immovable Elbow which stays in a relative fixed position unlike the Floating Elbow which moves in all direction.

OP
futsaowingchun

futsaowingchun

Black Belt
Reaction score

- What kind of punch?

The Floating Elbow is used just like The immovable elbow theory is used in standard Wing Chun or what is commonly called Ip Man Wing Chun. The Floating Elbow can be a substitute for the Immovable Elbow. The immovable elbow moves mostly in a linear path as opposed to The Floating Elbow which uses a circular path in any direction

OP
futsaowingchun

futsaowingchun

Black Belt
Reaction score
I plan on making a few videos of examples on How I use the Floating Elbow..

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think the name "Floating Elbow theory" is what is throwing people off. As I watch the video you put up it is no more then the proper way to preform sticky hands with a partner. (Adhere. follow, redirect) your partner, is all done within our open hand... "blocking"... techniques.

Latest Discussions