Floating Elbow Theory-Applied

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I've noticed Wing Chun schools run by Chinese people never have this problem.
Dunno. A lot of the romanization used by Cantonese speakers from Hong Kong don't work at all when given a North American pronunciation. For example bart cham do ...Americans pronounce the letter "r" very differently from a typical British accent. And regardless, most of us gwailo are better off keeping quiet instead of butchering Chinese terms.

It seems that relatively few foreigners ever do justice to Chinese pronunciation (Mandarin or Cantonese).

BTW are you Chinese, or did you grow up in a Chinese speaking area? You seam to have a great deal of knowledge about the language.

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
Dunno. A lot of the romanization used by Cantonese speakers from Hong Kong don't work at all when given a North American pronunciation. For example bart cham do ...Americans pronounce the letter "r" very differently from a typical British accent. And regardless, most of us gwailo are better off keeping quiet instead of butchering Chinese terms.

It seems that relatively few foreigners ever do justice to Chinese pronunciation (Mandarin or Cantonese).

BTW are you Chinese, or did you grow up in a Chinese speaking area? You seam to have a great deal of knowledge about the language.
I'm not Chinese, but I have lived around speaking peoples for a long time now. I've been studying Chinese as a language for about ten years.

The Chinese can say something a thousand ways, it's another thing to hear the difference between "chun" and"tchun" in my head. It's just like when people call it a "frigerator". The spelling check kicks in.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I'm not Chinese, but I have lived around speaking peoples for a long time now. I've been studying Chinese as a language for about ten years.

The Chinese can say something a thousand ways, it's another thing to hear the difference between "chun" and"tchun" in my head. It's just like when people call it a "frigerator". The spelling check kicks in.
That's figerator, thank you very much!

OP
futsaowingchun

futsaowingchun

Black Belt
Reaction score
Hey Futsao- I was just watching some stuff on YouTube and came across short video by Paul Fernandez who trained under my old sifu.

Some of Paul's movement here reminded me a little of what you show in video posted above about "floating elbow" application. It's short enough to watch the whole thing, but I was especially referring to the section from about 2:20 to 3:00.

Watch how his arm and body relax, flex and turn slightly to absorb and then release the energy received. Unfortunately, the action takes place on the far side of his body away from the camera, but you can still get a sense for the movement.

yeah i watched the video..its a bit of what am doing when hes using his right tan sao..he retracts his elbow a bit..

hunschuld

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I am confused. Not by the poster. This seems to be an attempt to address some peoples chi sau issues but rather by the reply's

For us Chi Sau is a drill to help learn fighting skills. the point is not to be good at chi sau and learn chi sau games. How does this floating elbow stop a jab,cross ,hook, real wing chun punch by someone that understands spiral energy . How does removing a key to wing chun combat, elbow position and distance, help you fight. How does bringing your elbow back to your body help you not get thrown by a player of Judo, greco roman wrestler or shuai jiao? Yes your elbow can float within the context of proper distance and position.

Relaxation and softness are accomplished by use of your lower body allowing energy to flow through your upper body to the ground or cycled back into your opponent and allowing energy to flow up from the lower body and out through your arms. How do these modifications improve upon the natural structure and use of the body in actual combat?

Latest Discussions