Flight Attendant Uses Martial Arts to Subdue Passenger

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Nice video of the FA who is a TKD BB. She seems like a nice person.

http://www.wltx.com/news/local/story.aspx?storyid=83831&catid=35

PITTSBURGH (CBS/AP) It is hard to imagine that Kinman Chan, a San Francisco man who claims he was high on a double dose of medical marijuana cookies when he screamed, dropped his pants and attacked crew members on a cross-country flight last week, knew who he was up against. Meet Lorin Gorman, his flight, or should we say, fight attendant.
A fourth-degree black belt in Tae Kwon Do, Gorman is credited with helping to avert a precarious situation in the air for US Air flight 1447.
Crew members said Chan made odd gestures before he entered the plane's rear restroom shortly after takeoff and began to scream, according to a complaint filed by the FBI.
Chan told agents that he "came back to reality" and exited the restroom, at which point the crew noticed his "pants were down, his shirt was untucked and all the compartments in the restroom were opened."

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Great story

And a word of advice for those who may find themselves flying on any of the major Chinese Airlines... they train all their flight attendants in Sanshou these days :EG:

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Good for her..That's a job I would like, teaching SD to flight attendants...

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nice story, score for the good guys.
icon7.gif

Flea

Beating you all over those fries!
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I guess I'm the only hippie chick here, but I've never heard of marijuana having that effect on someone. Most people just get silly and sleepy. Why wasn't he ordering extra pretzels instead?

OP
Bill Mattocks

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I guess I'm the only hippie chick here, but I've never heard of marijuana having that effect on someone. Most people just get silly and sleepy. Why wasn't he ordering extra pretzels instead?

Perhaps he had other issues as well?

Xinglu

Black Belt
Reaction score
Sounds like he might have been doing MORE than just MJ. Maybe he put a little acid in there too? Anyways, good story! Thanks Bill!

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Margaret Philbin, a spokeswoman for the U.S. attorney's office in Pittsburgh, said Chan has a legally issued medical marijuana card for a "legitimate" health issue, which she declined to identify.

Hmm... The guy's only 30 years old, and has a "legitimate" health issue?

Most people just get silly and sleepy. Why wasn't he ordering extra pretzels instead?

Probably because the airlines charge you for just about anything these days...

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
My guess is the offender was on something much harder than pot, but figured he had to admit to SOME kind of drug use to explain his behavior, so figured "medical marijuana" is semi-legal and would fit the bill.

My guesses would be LSD or Acid (not REALLY the same anymore, are they?), magic mushrooms, PCP or was just wigging out from a week-long meth binge.

But POT? Nah.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Expect attendance and enrollment to TKD schools to go up a bit... especially by female FA's... :uhyeah: I'm with you Drac... lets start a class... one airline at a time.

I would agree that it's odd that marijuana had that psychotic effect on the guy... but the drug is psychotropic and does alter brain chemistry. The guy might have had other drugs in his system like an anti-depressant or some thing else. And I concur that the guy could've had other issues as well. Who knows?

Family sized box of cereal or at least a jumbo bag full of chips-o'hoy chocolate chip cookies... that was always my craving when ever I got stoned... eons ago it seems.

No, Flea isn't the only Hippie in the bunch. :wavey:

Xinglu

Black Belt
Reaction score
Hmm... The guy's only 30 years old, and has a "legitimate" health issue?

Why not? I personally was medically retired from the military due to my injuries before I was 30, are you going to tell me that age is now a prerequisite for having legitimate health issues?

Chronic pain knows no age limits.

I still assert that there is no way this guy was only on pot, and that his defense is bogus.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Why not? I personally was medically retired from the military due to my injuries before I was 30, are you going to tell me that age is now a prerequisite for having legitimate health issues?

Chronic pain knows no age limits.

I still assert that there is no way this guy was only on pot, and that his defense is bogus.

I agree my father has always said I was the biggest pain in the *** he knew.

Flea

Beating you all over those fries!
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Xinglu, I'm sorry to hear about your injuries.

As for legitimate health reasons, disease doesn't discriminate by age.

Maybe the guy has other mental health issues. Maybe he uses other medications and had an interaction. Maybe it was recreational drugs. Or maybe it was marijuana - it's extremely rare, but it can cause psychosis in some people.

In any case, I'm glad the situation worked out well. I also hope this guy can work out his health issues, whatever they are.

kungfu penguin

Green Belt
Reaction score
1st there was the mile high club and now the mile high fight club good for her kudos for someone doing what was necessary i hope all FA's and pilots get some SD training PS where was the flight marshall?

K831

Black Belt
Reaction score
I agree with the the thoughts on his claiming "MJ" to be the issue. And from brownies no less... how many did he eat?

All my friends who smoke just want to eat dorito's and watch toy story.

As to the flight attendant training. My mom is a flight attendant and she showed me the techniques she was taught in flight attendant school. Some good things there, but as a whole, I was surprised they couldn't get better material taught.

Many of the techniques relied too much on size and strength that most flight attendants don't have. They were taught a lot of locks and hip toss type stuff.

No disrespect but the gal in the video isn't tiny. I would guess she has some weight and some strength.

My mom is 5'10" and maybe 110-115 lbs. I have a hard time believing she could hold a man in an armbar or choke.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Expect attendance and enrollment to TKD schools to go up a bit... especially by female FA's... :uhyeah: I'm with you Drac... lets start a class... one airline at a time.

I made numerous inquiries and was told that it was the Air Marshalls that did that protion of the training for them..

Latest Discussions