Five Animal Kenpo with Sijo Trevor Haines

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
kenposikh said:
No Probs Doc I'll be first in line but can I just try this little magic trick I learnt by watching a magician on TV. All you need to do is lie down in a wooden box and I use a big 2 foot blade to chop youi in half. It's that simple really. :)

Have practiced a lot but not had anyone willing to get in the box. I don't know why :idunno:
Let me know when you perfect it. I'll send you some business. Hell I'll send them anyway china.

kenpo_cory

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Doc said:
I guess that depends on your definition of "... finest teachers ..."
Most suck™. And although a couple may have merit, I'll play the odds and say they suck™ until proven different.

I gotta say hahahahahahahah on this one. Thats what i admire about ya Doc, youre not afraid to say what you think. I can speak outta experience on this one as someone who has argued with Doc on this forum out of ignorance and been set straight. Also, I didnt know "suck" was a registered traid mark. I better stop using it before i get sued huh.

C

Citius

I spoke to Trevor about this thead and he had much to say. I will pass it on to you.

1) He deliberated about even using the word "Kenpo" in the name of his new style. This means he knew the EPAK community would decry him. But his passion was EPAK and it was the basis for his new style but it goes back beyond EPAK.
2)He does not wish that anyone think that the new style "improves" upon EPAK.
3)He does not wish to ever be compared to GMS Ed Parker because it is obvious that he does not, nor does he profess to have GMS Ed Parker's ability to teach nor his skill. He simply decided to create his own style with no qualification whatsoever.
4)I have learned much from Trevor and I enjoy his new style as I began as his student when he still taught only EPAK and have continued with him in his new style.
5)I perhaps made an error even posting in the "kenpo" forum because it has lead to nothing by antagonistic responses. So for that I apologize. I watched Jeff Speakman in a movie and was inspired to take Kenpo in 1997 and Trevor was still teacing EPAK so I joined. Please forgive me.
6) Too all EPAK student and teachers I apologize. My art has the word kenpo in it and I learned much EPAK so I figured I would post my thoughts.
7)I love my Kenpo teachings and I admire the teachings. Perhaps you could forgive the derivation in my art and accept the fact that I love Kenpo and enjoy this forum.

Thank you for your consideration and please forgive me if you think any less of me.

Kembudo-Kai Kempoka

Senior Master
Reaction score
Never apologize for having passion; too many of lifes events will try to siphon it out of you without you helping it out. The nature of men is to mess up. The measure of a man is the level to which he owns his *edited* (own stuff), lives the consequences of his actions, and learns from the past to take his integrity in life to the next level.

The gesture is meaningful. Now learn, live, and enjoy the ride. It's what we're here for.

Regards,

D.

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
Citius said:
I spoke to Trevor about this thead and he had much to say. I will pass it on to you.

1) He deliberated about even using the word "Kenpo" in the name of his new style. This means he knew the EPAK community would decry him. But his passion was EPAK and it was the basis for his new style but it goes back beyond EPAK.
2)He does not wish that anyone think that the new style "improves" upon EPAK.
3)He does not wish to ever be compared to GMS Ed Parker because it is obvious that he does not, nor does he profess to have GMS Ed Parker's ability to teach nor his skill. He simply decided to create his own style with no qualification whatsoever.
4)I have learned much from Trevor and I enjoy his new style as I began as his student when he still taught only EPAK and have continued with him in his new style.
5)I perhaps made an error even posting in the "kenpo" forum because it has lead to nothing by antagonistic responses. So for that I apologize. I watched Jeff Speakman in a movie and was inspired to take Kenpo in 1997 and Trevor was still teacing EPAK so I joined. Please forgive me.
6) Too all EPAK student and teachers I apologize. My art has the word kenpo in it and I learned much EPAK so I figured I would post my thoughts.
7)I love my Kenpo teachings and I admire the teachings. Perhaps you could forgive the derivation in my art and accept the fact that I love Kenpo and enjoy this forum.

Thank you for your consideration and please forgive me if you think any less of me.

Hey speak your mind. You didn't say anything nasty or call anyone a name. You expressed your opinion, and there is nothing wrong with that. We argue all the time with each other, but don't think we're trying attack you personally. What do you think this is, Kenponet? :)

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
Kembudo-Kai Kempoka said:
Never apologize for having passion; too many of lifes events will try to siphon it out of you without you helping it out. The nature of men is to mess up. The measure of a man is the level to which he owns his shyte, lives the consequences of his actions, and learns from the past to take his integrity in life to the next level.

The gesture is meaningful. Now learn, live, and enjoy the ride. It's what we're here for.

Regards,

D.
Man, that's just beuootiful. I love ya man!

M

Mark Weiser

Doc maybe we can model the Virtual Reality Instructor after you? :whip:

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
Mark Weiser said:
Doc maybe we can model the Virtual Reality Instructor after you? :whip:
Awwww no you don't. I know a trap when I see it. You're not going to put one of those spandex outfits with the ping pong balls on me. Nope, no way Jose. I knew a fat guy once that put one of those on to do a "motion capture." A seam gave way and the dam suit exploded. Nope! Not me buddy. They already Kilt one fat guy.

M

Mark Weiser

rofl.gif
rofl.gif
rofl.gif

The Kai

Master of Arts
Reaction score
) He deliberated about even using the word "Kenpo" in the name of his new style. This means he knew the EPAK community would decry him. But his passion was EPAK and it was the basis for his new style but it goes back beyond EPAK.

How does it goes way back beyond EPAK??

I am glad you are enjoying your Kenpo experience,

antec20

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
TaiChiTJ said:
Found a kenpo site i had never heard of:

http://www.kenpodvd.com/

i think his background is Parker, but i am not sure.

any comments from the sizeable martialtalk kenpo community ?
i'm a student of mr. haines. trained with him in the early 1990's when he was Larry Tatum lineage. he even used to hold seminars where he'd bring in Mr. Tatum, which i've attended. he attained his 4th dan from Larry Tatum and then his 6th dan in parker kenpo under someone else. he's been studying wing chun separately since about 1986; so it's about 19 years in that. he teaches the wing chun separately from the 5 animal.

i also have all of his dvd's to supplement my training. the videos are definitely high quality.

all i can say is people should meet mr. haines in person before making assumptions. he's very nice and a very good teacher.

Bluewolf

White Belt
Reaction score
I was trained by Trevor Haines in Citrus Heights CA.

Say what you will about him, but i must say this. I have fought many martial artists, and most of them I have defeated as I trained hard in Kenpo my main style and also jujitsu and with partners who trained in kyokoshinkai, some MMA oponents also.
Out of all the warriors I have come across in my days (which are not so numerous as I am only 26) the only one who completely showed me the true meaning of humility and that my training will never be complete as there is no completion of a warriors training, Trevor Haines is the only one who I have fought who I couldnt even touch.
Not so much as even a glancing blow. The shame I felt after besting most of his black belts in a round robin tournament only to attempt to spar him with nothing but a lesson well learned was the perfect thing for the warrior ego to experience.
He is a business man of that i have no doubt. He knows how to make money. But I say if you are to make money, why not do so in the career of your choice and doing something you love.
He taught me to fight, and when not to fight. How to treat people with decency and respect. How to have confidence in your abilities without being an arrogant fool.
If nothing else he has made me a better person along with countless others who respected him and admired his talents.
I know this. That Trevor Haines is a man of honor, a man with a warrior spirit, and a man who deserves respect.
I owe my life to him in a way because of the ethics he passed on to me, and the law of the fist that saved me in numerous situations and others that I have protected in my line of work because of the training I recieved from him. He is truly one of the greatest men I have ever known.
I am on Trevors family tree of black belts as well as Larry Tatums.
My name is Adam Thomas and an obvious supporter of Trevor Haines.

yorkshirelad

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
"ANYBODY who gives rank from distance by video, even if you have to show up in person a few times a year, it is only about the money"

That is a very slanderous statement. You must think you are the wisest person on Earth to know the hearts and minds of every person who has charged a fee for martial arts instruction.
Slander denotes the spoken word. It is libel that applies to your statement here and again, you are mistaken.

Anyone who begins a distance learning programme in the martial arts is in the business of selling DVDs, not teaching martial arts. I used to get into this argument with a former teacher of mine who had a similar programme and he finally conceded and admitted that selling videos and receiving testing fees were a way of keeping his studio open and taking money.
Don't get me wrong, if you are an experienced martial artist and want to add to your knowledge and repetiore then by all means buy and view DVDs. I myself have a closet full of videos, books and DVDs. Please do not use them as an instructor. A DVD will not correct you, or push you into training the right way. Doesn't the Kenpo BB creed state "to not [sic] divest the gullible onto unprofitable paths". Let's keep this in mind.

Some people do it the right way however. Larry Tatums DVDs are exeptional quality and he doesn't award people rank through the post just because they buy the material.

You don't have to be "the wisest person on earth" to conclude that someone has produced DVDs for the sole purpose of making money. Using your logic Steven Spielberg produced "Schindler's List" purely to draw attention to the holocaust and the money he made was nonconsequential.

Again, as I have said in previous posts, there is nothing wrong with making money. Just don't do it by deception. Don't promise someone that they will be something that they are cleary not going to be.

Find an instructor who you like and who treats you with respect. If he starts pushing product on you or wants to charge you for merely being in his presence then run the other way and don't look back.

These comments are not libelus, there just opinion based on experience.

Kembudo-Kai Kempoka

Senior Master
Reaction score
Came across this on youtube, thought I would post it for people to see. It is some of Haines clips taken from his dvds.

http://www.youtube.com/user/trevorhaines

Lots of short, snappy, poppy, dissociated little-man kenpo movements. I guess I'm just partial to big man kenpo, with things like DIRECTIONAL HARMONY and MARRIAGE OF GRAVITY, STRUCTURAL INTEGRITY, ANATOMICAL ALIGNMENT, and ANATOMICAL POSITION combined with CONTROL MANIPULATION and DEPTH PENETRATION leading to STRIKE MANIPULATION. All rather important things in "kenpo, done well", and all missing from an otherwise very pretty demonstration of kenpo karate.

Danjo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Probably my biggest peeve with those that advocate "distance learning" is when they say "But there are no schools around me/them."

My reply is "So what?" Who ever said that everyone had to have access to everything? Who ever said that the lack of live training meant that video training had merit? How does one translate into the other logically?

There is no Great Wall of China near me, but watching a video of it doesn't equal actually visiting it.

I never got to train with Professor Chow, Ed Parker, Bruce Lee, Choki Motobu or Sijo Emperado. Does watching a video of them equate to the actual experience? Should people that actually did give me some sort of credit because they feel badly that I missed out on that opportunity? Would I expect them to say, "Poor Dan never had the chance to train with these guys, so let's just give him credit for it because he watched their videos. We'll say it's the same thing." Yeaaaaaaahhhhh Right!

We can't be all places at all times. Blame it on physics. Sorry if you don't live near a school teaching a style you like. Either move or study something else, but don't ask me to pretend that video training has anything to do with live training.

Latest Discussions