Fitting FMA into MMA

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately, your disclaimer sort of sums it up. I'm not trying to paint us in a negative light, but for the most part, our culture tends to switch gears when it's in a competitive spotlight, and I've been told by my parents, aunts and uncles that Filipinos already tend to be competitive in the first place.

Invite us to a BBQ and we're good company, but ask us who's better at BBQ-ing and instantly it's a competition... LOL

Isn't that just men as a whole?

OP
Ronin74

Ronin74

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Isn't that just men as a whole?
That depends. "Man Law" (yes, the concept is becoming more popular... lol) encourages camaraderie at the grill, such as when the designated cook (a position of great prestige I might add) has to take a restroom break. He can choose who tends to the grill temporarily, but whoever is chosen must NEVER deride the cook's skills.

Yes, a Man Law. LOL

Seriously Tez, it may be, but there's sort of an unique little quirk to it that I can't describe... lol.

Last edited:

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That depends. "Man Law" (yes, the concept is becoming more popular... lol) encourages camaraderie at the grill, such as when the designated cook (a position of great prestige I might add) has to take a restroom break. He can choose who tends to the grill temporarily, but whoever is chosen must NEVER deride the cook's skills.

Yes, a Man Law. LOL

Seriously Tez, it may be, but there's sort of an unique little quirk to it that I can't describe... lol.

Ah, it's something I and my fellow women shall never experience.........
(thank goodness she whispers) lol!

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Unfortunately, your disclaimer sort of sums it up. I'm not trying to paint us in a negative light, but for the most part, our culture tends to switch gears when it's in a competitive spotlight, and I've been told by my parents, aunts and uncles that Filipinos already tend to be competitive in the first place.

Invite us to a BBQ and we're good company, but ask us who's better at BBQ-ing and instantly it's a competition... LOL

You're all invited anyway. I'll supply charcoal and cold drinks.

Now who wants to show me if their Chicken Adobo is better than mine? :D

OP
Ronin74

Ronin74

Brown Belt
Reaction score
You're all invited anyway. I'll supply charcoal and cold drinks.

Now who wants to show me if their Chicken Adobo is better than mine? :D
I won't even try to compete... lol. To be honest, I never took a liking to adobo, and I grew up with my dad and uncles doing a lot of BBQ-ing (while drinking) or frying, so my skill set would go towards frying fish, lumpia, bananas, or BBQ-ing meat, and of course cooking rice (fried or steamed... lol.).

Sadly, in the past few years, I've tried to steer away from Filipino food, as it's usually not very healthy when it tastes very good.

LoneRider

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I won't even try to compete... lol. To be honest, I never took a liking to adobo, and I grew up with my dad and uncles doing a lot of BBQ-ing (while drinking) or frying, so my skill set would go towards frying fish, lumpia, bananas, or BBQ-ing meat, and of course cooking rice (fried or steamed... lol.).

That's roughly the extent of my culinary abilities as well, although I also grill fish frequently as well and have experimented with healthier recipes I do like.

That bolded skill is inherent to Filipino childhoods.

Dad and my Titos (Uncles for not Filipinos in the audience) will often say that we tend to squabble too much and that holds us back. I can only imagine if all the FMA organizations in collaboration with experienced MMA trainers were to try and put their heads together to create a training program, select a team, and train a group of fighters to fight in any MMA promotion. I get the feeling we'd be squabbling over who's brother, cousin, tito, tita, sister, etc...has the best dietary program, best fighters, etc... for a long while.

Again, not to paint us in a negative light, but our competitiveness at times hinders as well as helps. But a culture that produces a boxer like Pacquio could probably churn out a great MMA fighter or three given time...

OP
Ronin74

Ronin74

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Dad and my Titos (Uncles for not Filipinos in the audience) will often say that we tend to squabble too much and that holds us back. I can only imagine if all the FMA organizations in collaboration with experienced MMA trainers were to try and put their heads together to create a training program, select a team, and train a group of fighters to fight in any MMA promotion. I get the feeling we'd be squabbling over who's brother, cousin, tito, tita, sister, etc...has the best dietary program, best fighters, etc... for a long while.

Again, not to paint us in a negative light, but our competitiveness at times hinders as well as helps. But a culture that produces a boxer like Pacquio could probably churn out a great MMA fighter or three given time...
That's it in a nutshell. What's sad is that the FMAs do have arts that specialize in grappling and striking as well as weapons, but the squabbling over the pettiness of who or what group would be the best resource for a particular aspect of the MMA game is what holds us back.

I've been out of touch with other FMA practitioners as of late, but when I was involved, a lot of groups seemed to be at each other's throats, looking to "represent" or show loyalty to their respective crews. And this wasn't a "style" thing either. I remember hearing about friction between the students of the Presas brothers, as well as the conflicts between students from Cabales Eskrima. I'm hoping it's cooled down in the time I've been gone. The sad thing was each of these groups probably would've had something to gain by working together.

I honestly think it's an issue of pride when it gets down to it. We've got a lot of MMA camps that come together because different trainers like what other trainers bring to the game. I remember when Fairtex was the place to train in the Bay Area, they had their Muay Thai game set, but that didn't stop them from introducing good boxing coaches and BJJ instructors. There wasn't that friction, but more of encouragement. If your ground game needed help, they told you to jump into the BJJ classes, if your striking needed work, they sent you to the boxing or MT coaches.

But in FMAs? At least from my experience, your crew and your teacher were practically the be-all-end-all of training.

OP
Ronin74

Ronin74

Brown Belt
Reaction score
That's roughly the extent of my culinary abilities as well, although I also grill fish frequently as well and have experimented with healthier recipes I do like.

That bolded skill is inherent to Filipino childhoods.
Yeah, that cooking of rice was almost like a rite of passage into the world of more chores. I know for a fact that I learned how to clean and cook rice before I got into middle school. And lets not get into the use of garlic or soy sauce... lol.

LoneRider

Purple Belt
Reaction score
That's it in a nutshell. What's sad is that the FMAs do have arts that specialize in grappling and striking as well as weapons, but the squabbling over the pettiness of who or what group would be the best resource for a particular aspect of the MMA game is what holds us back.

I've been out of touch with other FMA practitioners as of late, but when I was involved, a lot of groups seemed to be at each other's throats, looking to "represent" or show loyalty to their respective crews. And this wasn't a "style" thing either. I remember hearing about friction between the students of the Presas brothers, as well as the conflicts between students from Cabales Eskrima. I'm hoping it's cooled down in the time I've been gone. The sad thing was each of these groups probably would've had something to gain by working together.

I honestly think it's an issue of pride when it gets down to it.

Lord knows I agree with you whole heartedly there, my friend. It would be something great to see if all the grandmasters of the various FMAs were to collaborate with each other and with experienced MMA specific trainers (for polish) on something like training a group of MMA fighters to compete in various MMA promotions. It would be publicity central for the FMAs if said fighters were to win or even give a good showing.

Not to mention the good publicity said fighters generate would spur interest in the FMAs from overseas. Meaning more dollars for the various organizations who would suddenly receive interested personnel. Meaning gains to be had for all of them, not just one or two. But sadly the aforementioned attitude mentioned tends to hold us back.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Oh I didn't get the impression you were picking on anyone. Don't worry.

:)

I think you're right that he didn't expect that guy to have the defense. But Jimmy was also pretty fatigued, that being his third opponent in a row. He bent at the waist, presenting his back. He also didn't "shoot" in the sense that there was no overwhelming forward motion. He just kinda flopped around the guy's waist. (This is no disrespect to Jimmy Smith. I wouldn't have gotten that far.)

The guy was also absurdly tall and knew how to sprawl. He successfully sprawls before dropping the elbow. Whereas most of the "I'd just drop the elbow on his spine" arguments I've heard reject the necessity of learning to sprawl so you can retain your structure long enough to drop an elbow.

But yeah, if he'd bent at the knee, then he would have presented his shoulders and kept his upper body more upright as he shot. At least, that's what I've seen in pure wrestling. Mind you, in a format that allows knees and so on, that also presents its own hazards.

Agreed. That guy he fought was a giant. There was one clip where he grabbed Jimmy by the shirt, and shook him like a rag doll. Likewise, regarding the elbow to the back....yeah, many of the 'defenders' of that tech. are probably not taking into consideration the sprawling. Personally, thats one of the reasons I like to test my Kenpo takedown defenses against those in the grappling arts. Not so much as to turn it into a competition, but to make the defense better. Interestingly enough, more times than not, I find myself falling back on the sprawl. LOL...go figure.

Not a doubt in my mind about that, mate.

Thanks!

Stuart

:ultracool

JKD143

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I thought shall I post about this or shan't I, then I thought 'oh lets add to my post count' so I am replying, hey why not it's what internet warriors do isn't it? And I might get lots of thanks for it too, whooppee! Maybe even a rep point if I'm lucky!

I'm glad you did.

Yeah I know everything cuz I roll in the gym, yep thats me,though I don't coach other peoples competitions whatever that means.

Whether or not you actually believe that, you certainly come across that way in many of your posts.

Should we ignore my military service starting in 1971,

No, we shouldn't. However, when you make broad, condescending statements with a "pat on the head" attitude, expecting some of us to just take all you say as fact, without engaging any real conversation on the subject, all I am left with is a heavy handed opinion and a post count. That is the stuff of internet warriors. Is that what you are? Doesn't look like it. Is that how you treated our initial conversation. Yup.

I'm sorry you lost people but son, you ain't the only one. Ever been stood next to mate when a sniper put a round through his head and you got splattered with his brain? Northern Ireland 1972.

I have had similar experiences.

Thats just the start of it, guess I may have seen more violence that many but then you think I'm liar, right, what I say isn't the truth,

No, I wouldn't call you a liar. You appear as one when you start a conversation questioning a persons credibility, start a conversation you don't intend to actually have, and then, rather than give it any real discussion or consideration, resort to name calling;

numties and nuggets

Condescending statements;

ah poor deluded boy!... Little man..
etc... ad nauseum

Why does it worry you so much what others write?

It doesn't bother me personally, however, I recognize that people come here looking for SD information, and that incorrect notions, opinions and poor information could get someone hurt or killed, so I do believe it should be taken seriously.

why are you getting so upset?

No where have I gotten upset. The only post calling you out on your potential as a keyboard warrior came long after you addressed me in a post asking questions, beginning a conversation you refused to actually have, and it came long after I was misquoted, you contradicted yourself and after condescending and inflammatory posts from you and your loyal pal.

It's a shame that from the start, you were so resistant to just having a constructive conversation regarding the questions you originally asked me.
Given what you have posted above, we have had some similar experiences (as I'm sure others here have)and could likely have had a goo conversation but your knee jerk, defensive reactions to a post you don't agree with or don't understand seems to have killed that option.

I wish you well. Stay safe.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm glad you did.

Whether or not you actually believe that, you certainly come across that way in many of your posts.

No, we shouldn't. However, when you make broad, condescending statements with a "pat on the head" attitude, expecting some of us to just take all you say as fact, without engaging any real conversation on the subject, all I am left with is a heavy handed opinion and a post count. That is the stuff of internet warriors. Is that what you are? Doesn't look like it. Is that how you treated our initial conversation. Yup.

I have had similar experiences.

No, I wouldn't call you a liar. You appear as one when you start a conversation questioning a persons credibility, start a conversation you don't intend to actually have, and then, rather than give it any real discussion or consideration, resort to name calling;

Condescending statements;

etc... ad nauseum

It doesn't bother me personally, however, I recognize that people come here looking for SD information, and that incorrect notions, opinions and poor information could get someone hurt or killed, so I do believe it should be taken seriously.

No where have I gotten upset. The only post calling you out on your potential as a keyboard warrior came long after you addressed me in a post asking questions, beginning a conversation you refused to actually have, and it came long after I was misquoted, you contradicted yourself and after condescending and inflammatory posts from you and your loyal pal.

It's a shame that from the start, you were so resistant to just having a constructive conversation regarding the questions you originally asked me.
Given what you have posted above, we have had some similar experiences (as I'm sure others here have)and could likely have had a goo conversation but your knee jerk, defensive reactions to a post you don't agree with or don't understand seems to have killed that option.

I wish you well. Stay safe.

It's such a shame you missed the point isn't it?

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does this actually need to be a public exchange? Seems to me that it would benefit MartialTalk more if this were sorted out in private.

It didn't need to be an exchange in the first place. JKD143 has obviously taken a dislike to things I've posted and decided to make a personal attack which is against the rules here. However I have tried to deflect it with typical British humour which admittedly isn't understood or appriciated by all and has in this case been mistaken for a lot of other things.
If KKD would care to PM with exactly what has upset him perhaps having got it off his chest we can resume normal service.

ap Oweyn

Brown Belt
Reaction score
It didn't need to be an exchange in the first place. JKD143 has obviously taken a dislike to things I've posted and decided to make a personal attack which is against the rules here. However I have tried to deflect it with typical British humour which admittedly isn't understood or appriciated by all and has in this case been mistaken for a lot of other things.
If KKD would care to PM with exactly what has upset him perhaps having got it off his chest we can resume normal service.

Then I'd encourage him to do just that.

Stuart

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Then I'd encourage him to do just that.

Stuart

Thank you, it would be appreciated.

I would add that if someones posts, opinions or ideas are considered offensive or otherwise not to your taste, there are two courses of action that can be taken, the use of the ignore function or report the post(s) to the mods.

ap Oweyn

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Thank you, it would be appreciated.

I would add that if someones posts, opinions or ideas are considered offensive or otherwise not to your taste, there are two courses of action that can be taken, the use of the ignore function or report the post(s) to the mods.

You talking to me or him?

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
*shrug*

Doesn't matter. If anyone posts, opinions or ideas are considered offensive or otherwise not to your taste, there are two courses of action that anyone else can be take, the use of the ignore function or report the post(s) to the mods.

Can we get back to the fight discussion now? :D

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You talking to me or him?

As Carol said, it was a general comment addressed to everyone.

When a quote is posted, the next sentence/paragraph usually refers to that. When, as I posted, there is a space before the next comment, it is a general one, people shouldn't assume in that case the post is directed totally at them. People are assuming that because their quote is at the top the whole post is directed at them.