First year training problems

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah probably. The one that the MT fighters often seen doing in the ring. They bring their leg up and then manoeuvre the leg, knee height to the chest, outwards.

That's actually a part of the Ram Muay, a ritual dance/warm up that fighters perform before the fight begins. It's not really for stretching - more for mental focus and showing respect to their trainers.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My biggest issues during my initial years of training were probably the following:

1) Extreme lack of physical and mental toughness
2) General lack of coordination (even compared to most beginners)
3) The Dunning-Kruger effect. I was physically unaware enough that I couldn't even tell how bad I was.

It took me a lot longer than my first year to get past all of those.

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
Ahh, that first year. What I see the most in first year students is two distinct things. On one hand, you have folks who get a little overwhelmed with this new thing in their life. It seemed like a good idea, took some gumption to actually commit, sign up, put on that gi - which is so different from any other work out clothes they've ever had, if they've ever actually worked out before - and get on a floor with a bunch of strangers who do what's being done better than they can do.

Then there's the physical contact. If it's a striking art, nobody is used to getting punched and kicked, especially in the face. Touching of the face is an intimate thing to most people, there's just not a lot of people in their life who ever touch their face. Especially people they really don't know. If it's presented properly, and the strangers they train with make it no big deal and are friendly, or at least not intimidating, they start to get used to it and they progress. But as they do, they are exposed to higher levels of expertise and the cycle usually repeats. It's not an easy transition.

If it's a grappling art, they are in a closer proximity to another person than they have ever been before other than with family, close friends or lovers. Except the other person is trying to dominate and/or submit them. And they are sweating in their face because rolling usually comes at the end of classes when everyone is already sweating. Their faces and necks are engulfed in a way they just aren't used to, there's pressure and weight applied to their chest and torso, and the other person is moving, moving, always moving and they just can't keep up. And other beginners are not relaxed, they're rushed and spastic, always trying to win, win, win. Again, it's not an easy transition from normal life.

On the other hand, people who are athletically gifted get all psyched up and run head first at it. It seems so much easier to them than to other beginners - this is what they're going to do FOREVER! Then that passes with the realization of how much work is ahead and how others, with just a little more experience will have none of their nonsense. What I find with most of these folks is a lack of patience. Once it isn't fun, games and easy - it isn't fun games and easy.

But what I also find is the students you really don't notice for a while. They just keep coming to class, day in and day out. Not particularly talented, not particularly untalented - just your average Joe. Until they're not.

That first year is a tough one. But if they can stick it out for five years or so, then they really have something they can use in life. Hopefully, anyway.

Another thing I think you have to consider is the age of the person when they start. Lots of people start martial arts as children and lots of people finish as children. A child is not going to be as physically and as mentally developed as an adult. I started at the age of 12 which is somewhat young and I've stuck with it although I know theres many people who started younger than that and who finished younger than that. Also a person's athletic background, when I started I was already a competitive swimmer and I had been on my local swim team for years so that also makes a difference. But, from what I've seen in the martial arts world, lots if not most of the people who start martial arts are children and usually they finish within their first year of starting and move on to other stuff. There is a difference between a child starting their first year of MA training and an adult starting their first year of MA training.

donald1

Senior Master
Reaction score
some of the mistakes i made my first year were...

-low stances... wernt low enough i remember the instructor would yell lower stances!
-tight fists... gotta make tight fists! the instructor would hit your hand if it wasnt tight enough.
-and pushups needed improvement...
-also i got distracted a lot and occasionally would randomly zone out and forget what im doing... PS. dont get distracted when someone is demonstrating a roundhouse kick(luckily i was wearing a mouthguard so no damage :) )

EddieCyrax

Blue Belt
Reaction score
To breathe. Seriously. I had 20+ years experience in endurance type training prior to beginning my martial arts journey. I ran and cycled countless miles. I was in excellent physical condition.

All this said, I tired quickly. All my previous training was based on controlled cyclical/systematic breathing. The martial arts is high intensity for short intervals, and in the beginning you are worried about being hit.

Took quite some time at the beginning to learn how to breathe effectively and stay relaxed.

Last edited:

donald1

Senior Master
Reaction score
I think you lost me, I don`t know the names of many stretches at all. Like this?
hip-flexorstretch-step3.gif

If so yes, but most often I will drop my rear knee to the floor and work from there.
honestly i dont know what to call most stretches, when i give orders on which stretches at the begginning of classes i... sort of make up a name and they see what stretch im doing and... hopefully follow along

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
honestly i dont know what to call most stretches, when i give orders on which stretches at the begginning of classes i... sort of make up a name and they see what stretch im doing and... hopefully follow along

I thought I was the only one who did that! :)

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
What you are showing is a Hip Flexor Stretch called the Lunge Stretch

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
That's actually a part of the Ram Muay, a ritual dance/warm up that fighters perform before the fight begins. It's not really for stretching - more for mental focus and showing respect to their trainers.
Yeap; if your aren't stretched out and warmed up prior to entering the ring the Wai Kru isn't going to do much for you. It is far more ceremonial and respect driven than warming up.

Latest Discussions