First thing you wanted to learn

Instructor

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just wanted to not get beat up anymore in the first days.

Then I wanted to be as good as the other guys.

Then I wanted to be better.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Nothing in particular, just wanted to be more like my brother who had been taking classes.
Now, he no longer practices at all, while I do, go figure.

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nothing in particular, just wanted to be more like my brother who had been taking classes.
Now, he no longer practices at all, while I do, go figure.
It is funny how things turn out. To some it is a hobby, to others a means of staying in shape, and then there are the ones that make it a life time endeavor. No matter where your brother was at, he may come back in time. But, until then, he in a way was instrumental in showing you the way.

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Heya everybody, I'm Chris and I for the most part I didn't have a 1st thing I wanted to learn. For me what I was looking for was something to do, mental clarity and to prove to myself I could do this and keep up with it. So far I'm new only been doing this for basically 3-4 weeks. I typically hit class 3 times a week.

I wanted to learn how to fight like Bruce Lee. Luckily my dad was into the books and not the movies lol!!!

Flow, i wanted to move like a martial artist ... still not there though ... a long journey

All three of you should hit the meet and greet thread and introduce yourself. It is a great place to get to know everyone on the site. We do hope you enjoy MT.................

UKS

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I wanted to learn Aikido because of the fluid movements.

chien_fu

White Belt
Reaction score
When I was young, all I wanted to do was have fun with my buddy and learn some cool moves. My mom got me signed up for kempo classes when I was 11. After 2nd dan, in college, I got into Capoeira, again, to learn some more (arguably far cooler) moves, but the main motive behind training that was to stay in good shape and build muscle. I took up praying mantis kung fu after working at a desk job for a few years after college. My knees started acting up and it was affecting my rock climbing. After training kung fu for a few months, my knees were in the best shape of my life. At that point I was also ready to delve into the more esoteric internal aspects of training.

francium

White Belt
Reaction score
Hmmm... to start with, I just wanted to learn "cool stuff" (I know- I am intensely creative and detailed sometimes), but after going to an open class one night as a white belt, and seeing the black belts doing an advanced form (5 Kata), I decided that I'll learn that some day. Now, to learn everything I need to know to learn how to do that first....

Giant Marshmallow

White Belt
Reaction score
I had spent 12 weeks watching my son learn so many things (and trying to learn them myself, at least well enough to help him practice at home) so I started very greedy. I wanted to learn it ALL! If I had to pick one thing, it would be kicks. I still suck at them (only been doing it 12 weeks myself) but I work on them most every day.

Now I want to practice sparring. I've only done it once and it was toally awesome. LOVE it.

Aiseant

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I wanted to be as calm and peaceful as this strange tall black man was in the middle of the crowd. He's my sabeum since then, and I'm still struggling with my goal ^^ (but I made awesome progresses, though)

After the first training, I just wanted to be able to finish the warming part without dying

After the first year, I wanted to learn the 8th taegeuk poomse so badly ... They told me "yup ... but you have to learn all the others before", so it became "I wanted to learn all taegeuk poomse so badly" :D

Curlykarateka

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I think I only bothered to start martial arts because my brother wanted to, now weirdly I take it more seriously and passionately than he does

DavidMoreland

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I seen a Martial Art demonstration, when I was 7. There have been tons of gifted people presenting kata, self defense, and choreographed routines. His movements were so sluid, his pace so measured, and his strikes so exact. He embodied control, power, and grace. I always wanted to be able to proceed like that.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The first thing that I tried to do when I was a boy was to put a small rock among my 3 fingers. I tried to squeeze that small rock into powder. I learned that from my first MA book.

Reaction score
I remember being a little kid and all i wanted to be was a ninja :) but as for a specific thing... it didn't exist and still doesn't I don't want to learn one thing I want to learn everything. :)

BruceLee23

White Belt
Reaction score
I would have to say that the first thing that I ever wanted to learn was how to kick with such flexibility as Bruce Lee or Scott Adkins or Chuck Norris. I also wanted to learn how to use many different weapons.

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
When you started your Martial Arts journey and you were the excited newbie in the class, what was the first thing you wanted to learn. What was it that you just couldn't wait to be shown. A certain kata? A technique? what?

When I started Karate I wanted to learn katas really really bad. I thought they were so cool! :D

In wing chun I wanted to learn chi sao. Oh, and how to generate the power to do the one inch punch.

Roger Tyson

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I actually saw a documentary on Discovery channel called extreme martial arts. Think it was a little bit of different styles but mostly Taekwondo. It made me want to learn how to move like that.
But when I started it was nothing like it because I didnt know the difference between styles and didnt have a clue, so I started training an Iranian kung fu style called Kung fu Toa. Then I figured out that I wanted to learn how to fight. Not dance and soon the whole documentary was forgotten...

Reedone816

Blue Belt
Reaction score
360 degree jump kick! Really cool when I saw it in taulu demonstration.
Haven't manage do be able to do it all these years, and stop to bother trying after being shown how easily it is being countered...

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

qianfeng

Green Belt
Reaction score
First thing i wanted to learn was the Baji shoulder strike. It looked really cool in Kenji ;)

Latest Discussions