First thing you wanted to learn

Fiendlover

Black Belt
Reaction score
When you started your Martial Arts journey and you were the excited newbie in the class, what was the first thing you wanted to learn. What was it that you just couldn't wait to be shown. A certain kata? A technique? what?

When I started Karate I wanted to learn katas really really bad. I thought they were so cool! :D

The sais, katana, and the flying side kick. :ultracool

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
When you started your Martial Arts journey and you were the excited newbie in the class, what was the first thing you wanted to learn. What was it that you just couldn't wait to be shown. A certain kata? A technique? what?

When I started Karate I wanted to learn katas really really bad. I thought they were so cool! :D
To fight like Remo Williams, of course.
Sean

shane

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
When i was kid i was thinking that i will love to be a superman , who help everyone and all people like him . but now i realize that a supper man is just a character in the movie....

Blade96

Senior Master
Reaction score

I don't know. Because I didn't know one bloody thing about shotokan when i first started.

I only knew that wesley snipes did it. and i wanted to learn that :uhyeah:

Phelan

White Belt
Reaction score

I wanted to learn the Vulcan Nerve Pinch...

Sadly, that never panned out the way I wanted it to :(

Yondanchris

Master Black Belt
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The first thing I remember I wanted to learn was the Pinan "dragon breathes fire" intro, and then the whole form, man was I easily amused back then!!

Athelus

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I really wanted to learn to break boards, but quickly learnt that attempting to break boards before instructor says you should is a bad idea.
Boards break you.

Peace & Harmony

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
the first thing i wanted to learn was the roundhouse kick! i saw it one day and i thought it was so cool looking and now that im a white belt in taekwondo, i can actually do it! :)

Narges

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I knew next to nothing about the martial arts when I first started karate. I only knew that it includes cool fighting techniques and I used to fight a lot back then, so I thought it would be great to learn to fight in an advanced way! But when I stepped on the path I learnt much more than fighting techniques.

elmerq

White Belt
Reaction score

There's so much I wanted to learn... I wanted to know everything like how to do the katas, learning how to spar and employ techniques, mastering the self defenses, and so much more.

I guess what I really was interested was the JKD portion of the class. I love going through the pak-sau and lap-sau drills. It was so confusing at first, but now it's built into my muscle memory. I loved how fast the techniques were and it just looked so cool!

Amoroque

White Belt
Reaction score
When I first started Kung Fu, I really wanted to learn sparring techniques. Sparring is still my favorite part of class.

Indie12

Blue Belt
Reaction score

Started in '1989' and I just wanted to be a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle!!!
icon10.gif

Lee Ch'a

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
That's a tough question; all I can remember wanting to learn was simply... everything, ha ;)
But I agree with dodoman- a full split would certainly be nice.
I suppose board breaking was probably on my mind, as well as self defense! And nunchaku, definitely nunchaku. They're pretty fun!

DennisBreene

3rd Black Belt
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
When we started (my family), we had just watched a demonstration on "Wide World of Sports" and a demo at a local dojang that my instructor was starting. The spectrum was almost overwhelming and while I wanted to be able to do everything I had seen I was also too intimidated to even consider what "I" wanted to learn first. Good thing; Grand Master Roberts had his own ideas about what we should learn first.
Dennis

Cjransom

White Belt
Reaction score
Heya everybody, I'm Chris and I for the most part I didn't have a 1st thing I wanted to learn. For me what I was looking for was something to do, mental clarity and to prove to myself I could do this and keep up with it. So far I'm new only been doing this for basically 3-4 weeks. I typically hit class 3 times a week.

Romethemighty

White Belt
Reaction score
I wanted to learn how to fight like Bruce Lee. Luckily my dad was into the books and not the movies lol!!!

Tugan Karl

White Belt
Reaction score
Flow, i wanted to move like a martial artist ... still not there though ... a long journey

Latest Discussions