First MTV video...

OUMoose

Trying to find my place
Reaction score
Andy Moynihan said:
Oh, first you *Remember* OK. Dunno.

But if you ever end up on like, Jeopardy or something, the first ever music video was "Video killed the radio star" by the Buggles.
:) Just a tidbit of trivia. The Buggles had the first popular music video, but the first music video played on "mainstream" TV was from Alice Cooper. He made "Welcome to my Nightmare" into a video with some odd people dressed up like wraiths doing ballet. Quite surreal. heh.

Shaolinwind

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
OUMoose said:
:) Just a tidbit of trivia. The Buggles had the first popular music video, but the first music video played on "mainstream" TV was from Alice Cooper. He made "Welcome to my Nightmare" into a video with some odd people dressed up like wraiths doing ballet. Quite surreal. heh.

I've seen it... Rather inspired and the dates line up. Why is devo accredited with inventing the music video? I mean, I love devo but now I'm questioning their prominence in music videos.

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
Remote Control was the game show with Colin Quinn. MTV has let us all down that were with them in the beginning. It was good, fun, and a bit clever to see that take on pop culture.

As far as Music TV is concerned as a format, my favorite channel has to be VH1 classic. I like their general overall format.

OUMoose

Trying to find my place
Reaction score
matt.m said:
Remote Control was the game show with Colin Quinn. MTV has let us all down that were with them in the beginning. It was good, fun, and a bit clever to see that take on pop culture.

As far as Music TV is concerned as a format, my favorite channel has to be VH1 classic. I like their general overall format.
Bah... Colin Quinn was a sideliner. Ken Ober was the main guy. :p Then of course, Kari Wuhrer... *rawr* Plus, any show that has snack time by dumping snacks on the contestants heads gets bonus points in my book. :D

It's too bad VH1 is owned by MTV, along with CMT and just about every other "music" channel.

Paul B

3rd Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Van Halen's "Jump"

Good gawd..the great DLR in pink spandex pants..scarred me for life.

Swordlady

Senior Master
Reaction score
I didn't have MTV when I was a kid. :( My parents were too cheap to get cable.

I did manage to catch a handful of videos, thanks to "Friday Night Videos". The first one I remember seeing was "Take on Me" by Aha. I also remember the big hoopla about the special effects used in that particular video, which were pretty impressive (switching back and forth from "real life" to a moving drawing).