Music Videos

Gin-Gin

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
michaeledward said:
8 for 10 .... I got lucky on a lot of guesses. I know nothing of music videos for the last 12 or 13 years. I remember staying up to watch 'Friday Night Videos'. As I recall, it showed an hours worth of videos late at night, before the MTV era.
Yep, I got 8 out of 10 also. Which is surprising since the last video I watched on MTV was "I Touch Myself" by the Divinyls (around 1990 or 1991, & that was only because one of my roommates said, "Hey, you have to come see this video!"). Too bad MTV doesn't show videos that much anymore - when I look at the TV listings, all it seems to have are reality shows. When I was in school, I looked forward to coming home & plopping down on the couch to forget about the day & just watch videos, 24/7. Ah, those were the days....

Someone needs to remind the people at MTV what those letters stand for-- Music Television!! (same goes for VH1) :(

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Bammx2 said:
anybody "old timers" ever watch HEADBANGERS BALL on mtv?
The music wasn't that bad ... but, good grief, the leather was just entirely too 'fetish-like' for my tastes. Eewww!

OP
Lisa

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
michaeledward said:
The music wasn't that bad ... but, good grief, the leather was just entirely too 'fetish-like' for my tastes. Eewww!
LOL! I don't know there MichaelEdward...when I was young, a skinny anorexic looking long haired freak was pretty okay in my books :D

K

Kempogeek

"Friday Night Videos"!!! I forgot all about that show. Back in the day that was the highlight of my whole week. I believe that where I first saw Duran Duran's "Hungry Like The Wolf" video. After that I became a big fan. Just about everything they came out with I liked up until they became a trio. (Roger and Andy Taylor leaving the group) Sure wasn't the same after that......You are right on target Gin-Gin. MTV continues its downfall. MTV had some great VJs in the beginning (Alan Hunter, J.J. Jackson, Martha Quinn, Nina Blackwood and Mark Goodman). Remember the Top 20 Video Countdown? I believe there's a Classic MTV channel as well as a Classic VH-1 channel for us old schoolers. The "Behind The Music" series were great and I want to see them more often but that's wishful thinking. Best regards, Steve

OUMoose

Trying to find my place
Reaction score
Bammx2 said:
You mean with Ricky Rackman, or waaaaaaay back when Lars was hosting? :D

I was always more of a fan of Alternative Nation with Kennedy or 120 minutes when Matt Pinfield was hosting...

*blinks and hangs head*

Ah well... back to the topic. I think the first videos I remember seeing were Duran Duran's "Rio", Def Leppard's "Photograph", Kashagoogoo's "Too Shy", and Twisted Sister's "We're not gonna take it". :p

Gin-Gin

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Bammx2 said:
Yep - I watched cute guys with long hair (at least most of them seemed cute at the time) playing heavy metal music while wearing leather--those were the days! :partyon: I also loved MTV's "Closet Classics" & every once in a while, watched "Yo, MTV Raps" hosted by Dr. Dre & the guy from Public Enemy.
:p

OP
Lisa

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Friday Night Videos... didn't they always have a "guest host" I recall having Moon Unit Zappa as a host and her talking about her..ummm... "treasure line". :idunno: I ain't saying anymore.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
5 / 10. Wow. I suck. I haven't had cable in years.

Gin-Gin

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
shesulsa said:
5 / 10. Wow. I suck. I haven't had cable in years.
Don't worry, SheSulsa. You haven't missed much, except for Nick & Jessica, Anna Nicole Smith, The Osbournes & SouthPark; and some would say that's a blessing. :lol:

And yeah, I watched "Friday Night Videos" too! (I admit it.) :lol:

A

AnimEdge

Wow that was a insainly easy test, i dont watch mtv and i got a 9/10, I think the frist one i rember was...um..some rap song when iw as in California, and i dont even like rap

Bammx2

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Oh god...ricky rackman!

I got majorly hammered with him and pantera(r.i.p Darrel:asian:) and skidrow after filming a show for headbangers ball in N.C.
He got mad cause I kept raggin his shoes
icon10.gif

I was even on the show at the end....and my hair was all the same colour then.......
damn.

Darksoul

Black Belt
Reaction score
-MTV just hasn't been good for the last, oh lets say, 12 years. Stupid producers and excutives making bad programming choices. Not to mention playing the same boring, repetitive music when they do play videos. Ghetto booty anyone? Gross. Reality tv has only proven how shallow it all is with some people. Though I feel the same about the radio stations in my city. Same songs, everyday. Whatever. Thats why I have a cd player. Going to go listen to some VNV Nation and Covenant now.

A---)

Latest Discussions