First MTV video...

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
A friend and I were talking about MTV and how much it sucks now and reminiscing about the good old days of MTV and it got me thinking about the very first video I remember seeing.

Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers "Refuge"

How about everyone else? What was the first video you ever remember seing?

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
"Safety Dance", but I grew up in a reall small town, we didn't get cable till MTV had been around a few years.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It was either Holiday by Madonna or Beat it by Michael Jackson

OUMoose

Trying to find my place
Reaction score
Def Leppard - "Photograph"

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
Video killed the radio star. The earliest videos I remember the most have to be the ZZ top:Legs, Duran Duran:Hungry Like a Wolf 82-83 time period.

Geez MTV used to be so cool. Now I have to say since 93 it has been the worst station on cable.

J-Man

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Walk of Life - Dire Straits...I am sure it is not the first video I ever saw, but it is the first one that comes to mind. :)

Shaolinwind

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Lisa said:
A friend and I were talking about MTV and how much it sucks now and reminiscing about the good old days of MTV and it got me thinking about the very first video I remember seeing.

Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers "Refuge"

How about everyone else? What was the first video you ever remember seing?

I had the strange priviledge of being there the very moment MTV came onto cable. And I mean the moment they flipped on, the very second there was a flash of fuzz and suddenly "let there be MTV". I will never stop being proud of that. They played "Video Killed the Radio Star."

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Joan Jett and the Blackhearts, singing "I Love Rock 'n Roll."

Of course, this was back in the days when MTV was exactly that: Music Television. They would play actual music videos most of the hours of the day. These days, you can rarely see music videos on "Empty Vee."

Shaolinwind

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Grenadier said:
Joan Jett and the Blackhearts, singing "I Love Rock 'n Roll."

Of course, this was back in the days when MTV was exactly that: Music Television. They would play actual music videos most of the hours of the day. These days, you can rarely see music videos on "Empty Vee."

Which makes me wonder why they stopped playing any M on MTV. It seems more like that it's Pop Culture TV based on the Pop Culture that Pop Music has designated. Even when they get around to playing music.. LIke on that *****ing ignorant *** beach party show, they play half a song while the ugliest, skinniest bikini broads shake their non-things and make real women feel insignificant.

But I digress, just after I reiterate that I feel MTV is evil incarnate.

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I don't remember a specific video. What I do remember are the old "I want my MTV!" promos.

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Shaolinwind said:
Which makes me wonder why they stopped playing any M on MTV.

Lots of articles this past week, upon the 25th anniversary.

The issue with the M is that viewers didn't know when to tune in to see what they were interested it. Sure, you could turn it on and watch, but if a video came on for a performer you didn't like, there was nothing to keep your attention. Click ... and off you went to something else. In order for the market to succeed, they need to keep your eyeballs on the screen. Which is why the format changed.

I liked the game show in that guys basement ... with Colin Quinn as the Ed McMahon character (although that reference may be getting old, right?).

For Videos ... remember 'Friday Night Videos'?

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I too like some was there when it happened and that song is still killing me today Video killed the radio star
Terry

Jade Tigress

RAWR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Kreth said:
I don't remember a specific video. What I do remember are the old "I want my MTV!" promos.

Me too...but I do remember one video that used to crack me up..and I can't for the life of me remember the artist right now...name's on the tip of my tongue...anyway, it was all these mechanical robot things dancing and twitching to the song...

I also remember good old Martha Quinn (can't remember the guys name now). My friends and I also used to call her Quinn the Eskimo.

MTV...it's just not the same. :(

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Jade Tigress said:
Me too...but I do remember one video that used to crack me up..and I can't for the life of me remember the artist right now...name's on the tip of my tongue...anyway, it was all these mechanical robot things dancing and twitching to the song...
Rockit, by Herbie Hancock.

OP
Lisa

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I loved MTV back in the day. Unfortunately in 1984 MuchMusic debuted in Canada and MTV was basically locked out. MuchMusic followed the Canadian content rules of broadcasting.

I missed MTV, but by the sounds of it, I am not missing much anymore.

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I haven't watched MTV in years. I have no interest in seeing Cribs, Pimp My Ride, or Real World MCMVII... :rolleyes:

Latest Discussions