First Day of BJJ

User3256

White Belt
Reaction score
I had my first BJJ class a few days ago and everything went great for the entire class until the last drill. We started out with my partner already in the back mount on me with scissor hold and we did this alot in drills but this time he used a little more strength then he had been doing all day.

For some reason I suddenly became extremely clausterphobic and completely panicked. I forgot all the previous drills and started trying to brute force my way out with strength like my life depended upon it even forgetting I could just tap. It not only didn't work but I guess I hurt my partners finger cause he got mad and yelled at me.

Needless to say I felt horrible once I calmed down from my panicked state but couldn't even apologize cause he had already left since it was the last drill. I didn't even know I was clausterphobic until I was trapped with no way to move and no idea how to get out of it. I spent alot of money to take the classes and I feel like it's a waste to never go back but I'm too ashamed of myself to even show my face there again.

Has anyone else ever suddenly gotten clausterphobic and freaked out or had a white belt freak out on them during a hold?

dunc

Black Belt
Reaction score
I had my first BJJ class a few days ago and everything went great for the entire class until the last drill. We started out with my partner already in the back mount on me with scissor hold and we did this alot in drills but this time he used a little more strength then he had been doing all day.

For some reason I suddenly became extremely clausterphobic and completely panicked. I forgot all the previous drills and started trying to brute force my way out with strength like my life depended upon it even forgetting I could just tap. It not only didn't work but I guess I hurt my partners finger cause he got mad and yelled at me.

Needless to say I felt horrible once I calmed down from my panicked state but couldn't even apologize cause he had already left since it was the last drill. I didn't even know I was clausterphobic until I was trapped with no way to move and no idea how to get out of it. I spent alot of money to take the classes and I feel like it's a waste to never go back but I'm too ashamed of myself to even show my face there again.

Has anyone else ever suddenly gotten clausterphobic and freaked out or had a white belt freak out on them during a hold?
I would say that at one time or another everyone doing BJJ will have this experience
It's kinda part of the process: To learn how to relax and switch out of "panic mode" into "technique mode"
Keep at it, you'll get through it with practice and supportive training partners

jayoliver00

Black Belt
Reaction score
I had my first BJJ class a few days ago a I spent alot of money to take the classes and I feel like it's a waste to never go back but I'm too ashamed of myself to even show my face there agaid.

Goodness, how much did ONE class cost?

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score

Welcome to MartialTalk, User3256. :)

Just go to class, it's not a big deal, honest to God. Like @dunc said, it's just part of the process.

Go have fun, bro, it gets more fun the more you go.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
You don't pay for one class, you pay for the month.
If you don't mind me asking, what does a month cost and how many times are you allowed to train?

I only ask because I'm trying to keep up with the cost of various Martial Arts in todays crazy world.

OP
U

User3256

White Belt
Reaction score
If you don't mind me asking, what does a month cost and how many times are you allowed to train?

I only ask because I'm trying to keep up with the cost of various Martial Arts in todays crazy world.
One month for me was $200. Then you can go to as many classes as you want during the month.

I think I'm going to give it another shot since it sounds like it's normal for people to freak out during the beginning and just focus on trying to remain relaxed and not panic. If I see my partner from last time there I will just apologize to him.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
One month for me was $200. Then you can go to as many classes as you want during the month.

I think I'm going to give it another shot since it sounds like it's normal for people to freak out during the beginning and just focus on trying to remain relaxed and not panic. If I see my partner from last time there I will just apologize to him.
I hope you do give it another shot, then a zillion more shots after that. It gets to be so much fun it's hard to describe.

I'm thinking that cost is about average now. It's great you can go to as many classes as they have!

Go back, go have fun. Then tell us all about it!

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score

Don’t feel bad. I’m brand new to BJJ. I tapped to a blue belt that was cranking my neck ( I may be mistaking neck crank for a different move) and had me in a pretty helpless position. I had a moment where I thought I was going to have neck injury. I didn’t panic, I just realized there wasn’t much I could do. He didn’t let me up when I tapped repeatedly. I’m not thrilled with that. I am going to check a few other spots out. I’m less thrilled about the local BJJ as a result. I have 25 years in CMA and I’m no spring chicken, I don’t want to waste time with egos and I can’t afford foolish training injuries. If the guy was gentle you should be fine, don’t worry about embarrassment, that’s just pride talking.

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
I would say that at one time or another everyone doing BJJ will have this experience
It's kinda part of the process: To learn how to relax and switch out of "panic mode" into "technique mode"
Keep at it, you'll get through it with practice and supportive training partners
I gotta say it ain’t no fun being under a big bruiser doin whatever he wants to me. I’m used to striking and being struck, I’m not loving that sweltering hot gi either.

jayoliver00

Black Belt
Reaction score
Don’t feel bad. I’m brand new to BJJ. I tapped to a blue belt that was cranking my neck ( I may be mistaking neck crank for a different move) and had me in a pretty helpless position. I had a moment where I thought I was going to have neck injury. I didn’t panic, I just realized there wasn’t much I could do. He didn’t let me up when I tapped repeatedly. I’m not thrilled with that. I am going to check a few other spots out. I’m less thrilled about the local BJJ as a result. I have 25 years in CMA and I’m no spring chicken, I don’t want to waste time with egos and I can’t afford foolish training injuries. If the guy was gentle you should be fine, don’t worry about embarrassment, that’s just pride talking.

Did you say something beforehand that disrespected him? Could just be that this guy wasn't nice. That's not a nice move. Was it a "can opener"?

OP
U

User3256

White Belt
Reaction score
I was matched with a blue belt as well, considering how badly I was freaking out he was pretty gentle, he could have easily put me to sleep specially since he started with back mount but he didn't. I would have went back the next day to apologize but during my flailing I reaped my own leg and could barely walk the next day and behind my knee hurt when I tried to stand. Feels alot better now though think I just overstretched the muscle and tore it a bit. It made a loud pop I got lucky it wasn't worse.

Going to let it keep healing a bit and go back this weekend.

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
Did you say something beforehand that disrespected him? Could just be that this guy wasn't nice. That's not a nice move. Was it a "can opener"?
Can opener? No, I would not be that new guy that comes into someone’s gym and disrespects. I am a martial arts teacher. In fact I have met him before and he seemed to be a nice guy. He was immediately rough and I’m not there to compete, I’m there to learn so I didn’t resist much because I’m trying to observe and listen. I am unfamiliar with the teaching style, which was really no teaching at all.

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
I was matched with a blue belt as well, considering how badly I was freaking out he was pretty gentle, he could have easily put me to sleep specially since he started with back mount but he didn't. I would have went back the next day to apologize but during my flailing I reaped my own leg and could barely walk the next day and behind my knee hurt when I tried to stand. Feels alot better now though think I just overstretched the muscle and tore it a bit. It made a loud pop I got lucky it wasn't worse.

Going to let it keep healing a bit and go back this weekend.
How old are you and what is your martial arts/fitness background? Not my business of course. I’m 50. I have Boxing and a little JJJ followed by 25 years of CMA. I just tried BJJ recently.

OP
U

User3256

White Belt
Reaction score
How old are you and what is your martial arts/fitness background? Not my business of course. I’m 50. I have Boxing and a little JJJ followed by 25 years of CMA. I just tried BJJ recently.
I'm 41, I have no fitness I haven't worked out in like 20 years but my job is physically demanding so I was able to last the whole session. I did Karate for a few years when I was a teen up to purple belt but that was like 20+ years ago I barely remember any of it nor have the flexibility anyway.

I'm 5'6 156 lbs

On a side note I've also smoked for 20 years too but surprisingly my lungs held out better than my muscles. I made sure to shower before I went as well as have clothes fresh from the wash. Brushed my teeth and used mouthwash as well as chew mentos gum on the way over and didn't smoke till afterwards. Didn't want to smell like cigarettes during training.

Last edited:

jayoliver00

Black Belt
Reaction score
Can opener? No, I would not be that new guy that comes into someone’s gym and disrespects. I am a martial arts teacher. In fact I have met him before and he seemed to be a nice guy. He was immediately rough and I’m not there to compete, I’m there to learn so I didn’t resist much because I’m trying to observe and listen. I am unfamiliar with the teaching style, which was really no teaching at all.

Can opener = a very pleasant & gentle way of submitting someone in BJJ that you have the deepest care & respect for; now take everything after the "=" sign and reverse it, then multiply by 11.

I bet you went through your whole resume of MA experience when you met him before, which gave him the green light. :p

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
Can opener = a very pleasant & gentle way of submitting someone in BJJ that you have the deepest care & respect for; now take everything after the "=" sign and reverse it, then multiply by 11.

I bet you went through your whole resume of MA experience when you met him before, which gave him the green light. :p
Nope. I’m also not that guy. I just said I did some training in martial arts. We had a friendly chat outside the gym before hand. We had met before outside the gym. We are of similar age, although he is larger and stronger. I am 6’2” 210 lbs. I must have made a really poor impression on you. You seem to be engaging in victim blaming, and that makes the baby Jesus cry.

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score

Should I have tried to defend using all of my other MA skills? That seems ultra douchey. I’m there to learn BJJ not show off something else. Besides, I’m a nobody special late summer chicken. The dude was just making sure I know who is boss, no biggie.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Flipping out isn't unheard of or impossible to overcome.

Latest Discussions