Finger Locking Techniques On The Instinctive Edge!

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Do you reserve finger locks for essentially come along set ups? I know you said you didn't. But I mean that front on arm secure like you would go if you were trying to standing arm lock someone.

I have instinctively used them for an escape from an eye gouge before. But you tend to go for that finger that is exposed anyway. I mean it is in your eye and you naturally want to get rid of it.

Have also seen the Vulcan used from a gooseneck come along. And it worked but I am not a fan because I think you trade a secure hold on that arm for a pain compliance.

By the way I hate getting locks ground in on a demo.

You can dirty finger lock if hand fighting a rear naked. But personally I think it is low percentage to try on its own. And is a good idea to have some mechanical escapes as well.

Hand fighting.
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=R8rYIURG4sE

Mechanical escape.
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=loxLjElA9x8

Last edited:
OP
Brian R. VanCise

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hey Drop Bear, I personally reserve fingers for breaking. Not any kind of pain compliance or trying to use them as a lock. When the adrenaline is flowing I think most people will not comply with finger locks. So my opinion is if you are in a violent situation just break the finger and move to a more solid control position such as an armbar, armwrap with leg destructions in place or some thing more structural.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
View attachment $IMG_0085.jpg
You've never had this guy put you in a finger lock. I dropped to my knees and screamed like a 12 year old girl meeting Justin bieber

Attachments

• $Higaonna+manos.jpg
    $Higaonna+manos.jpg
    11.4 KB · Views: 304
OP
Brian R. VanCise

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Lots of people can put you in a finger lock and have you screaming in training. More than likely not in a combative situation when your adrenaline is flowing. Someone with a strong will, on drugs, alcohol will probably just walk through a finger lock and elbow you in the face even if you break their finger. From my perspective it is unreliable as a control technique. However, it is not unreliable to break it and move on to a better structural control position. Just sayin...

Last edited:

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
On the training end of the finger lock I also have been put to the ground. "On The Instinctive Edge", it ain't over till it's over.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hey Drop Bear, I personally reserve fingers for breaking. Not any kind of pain compliance or trying to use them as a lock. When the adrenaline is flowing I think most people will not comply with finger locks. So my opinion is if you are in a violent situation just break the finger and move to a more solid control position such as an armbar, armwrap with leg destructions in place or some thing more structural.

More the set up. Do you work from that stand up module?

Finger lock to standing arm bar etc. As opposed to an escape.

OP
Brian R. VanCise

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I think it would depend on the situation. If someone is finger locking me I am probably going down the pipe to deliver some hellacious elbows at him as my finger is being broken. To attempt escape maybe if he has a knife in his other hand. ;) I would not actively look for a finger to break it but if I got ahold of one, snap then forward on to control. If I broke the finger and it was warranted that I escape at that point, ie. weapon, multiple people, working on a time crunch, etc. then I would.

RTKDCMB

Senior Master
Reaction score
I would tend to use the finger lock to break a grip in a hold as a precursor to a more secure hold or a strike. If the person is sweaty the finger might slip out and if you don't have any backup plan then you may be in trouble.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I think it would depend on the situation. If someone is finger locking me I am probably going down the pipe to deliver some hellacious elbows at him as my finger is being broken. To attempt escape maybe if he has a knife in his other hand. ;) I would not actively look for a finger to break it but if I got ahold of one, snap then forward on to control. If I broke the finger and it was warranted that I escape at that point, ie. weapon, multiple people, working on a time crunch, etc. then I would.

Yeah so more like my eyegouge finger break than shooting for a standing lock.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
I would tend to use the finger lock to break a grip in a hold as a precursor to a more secure hold or a strike. If the person is sweaty the finger might slip out and if you don't have any backup plan then you may be in trouble.

In the Hapkido I learned, we had some finger locks to break a grip and then we applied grappling and kicking techniques. They work well except that if the person's finger knuckles are locked, you have to yank hard then release just enough for the person to unlock (which will be a reflex action) and then continue with the technique. There are some other finger locks as well, that work if applied correctly. But then that is the case with all techniques.