Final Fu TV show on MTV

Fluffy

Black Belt
Reaction score
AceHBK said:
Being that Matt is a 4th Dan to means to me that he should be able to show more control than the lower belts on the show. My former Master is a 4th Dan and we sparred all the time and he always stressed control and showed it in our sparring matches.

Can't disagree with you, but I know I would have been DQ'd.

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
For what it is worth, it is on the regular MTV 1, at 11 pm eastern and 10pm central. I think I will watch it at least once.

I am going with the thought that at least there is some kind of exposure. Just like the UFC stuff on Spike. Whatever happened to ESPN and ESPN 2 showing team weapons forms, sparring and that sort of thing?

OP
AceHBK

AceHBK

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
matt.m said:
I am going with the thought that at least there is some kind of exposure. Just like the UFC stuff on Spike. Whatever happened to ESPN and ESPN 2 showing team weapons forms, sparring and that sort of thing?

I watched XMA stuff on ESPN like twice but it couldn't hold my attention. I don't know why though. Maybe cuase it was all about the show i guess? Seemed like everyone was moving super fast and was trying to show 50 million different types of ariel moves and while I understand how hard it is to do, it did little to impress me.

evenflow1121

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
AceHBK said:
I watched XMA stuff on ESPN like twice but it couldn't hold my attention. I don't know why though. Maybe cuase it was all about the show i guess? Seemed like everyone was moving super fast and was trying to show 50 million different types of ariel moves and while I understand how hard it is to do, it did little to impress me.

Totally agree, with respect to this show, I have to say it is amusing, last night I saw quite a few un guarded faces, stances, and sides and made me say wow, this is pretty unrealistic. The funniest thing is how MTV2 calls it an *** kicking competition lol. What I love about the UFC on Spike is the fighting, it is very technical, of course in UFC you dont have to hold up rice cups or whatever they are while doing a horse stance or something. I am still trying to figure out what I like about Final Fu. With respect to that dude that was gloating about his martial art being better than that other guy's American Karate, while I am not really sure what American Karate is, pssst, get real beating someone at tag and where you are restricted to body shots only much less is no reason to gloat about anything.

OP
AceHBK

AceHBK

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
evenflow1121 said:
With respect to that dude that was gloating about his martial art being better than that other guy's American Karate, while I am not really sure what American Karate is, pssst, get real beating someone at tag and where you are restricted to body shots only much less is no reason to gloat about anything.

I agree his cockiness disturbs me.

The 30 second penalty for Matt W. to me wasn't even enough punishment. I felt he should have been kicked off the show. I feel bad as a MA to see this sort of attitude. You some some who have no honor at all. Being that you are on t.v with many watching, you would show some class and honor let alone respect. I know his instructor must be embarassed by his attitude.

Hand Sword

Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In the Void (Where still, this merciless GOD torme
I watched it for the first time today. I thought the Blonde (Whitney?) was a cutie. Always wanted a girlfriend like that. But, the MA stuff was CRAP IMHO! Listening to them say how they can take a shot based on the fighting, and the complaining of hard they were hit.....PLEASE!

Christina05

Green Belt
Reaction score
I posted one of these in the mma section. And personally I was so looking forward to this show a whole month before it came out and yeah I see it as a total flop. I was so disappointed with the setup and the whole concept and the sad part about it is that it could be something great if it had a better concept so yeah your better off watching UFC.

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
I finally saw it last night. It was pretty bad. The sparring matches were..I dunno...it seemed like early on one or both fighters would figure out that they could score the most points by just getting in close and slapping the other person as fast as possible. Looked pretty silly; nobody had much power or very good technique (althought that may be because they were parring by pretty limited rules) so it was hard to tell if the fighters just weren't that good, or whether they couldn't really do anything. Actually, they really didn't look that good, either

OP
AceHBK

AceHBK

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
oK last night was ok.
I don't like how they saw one minute that u can aim anywhere from below the neck to the knee but then a guy got a warning for kicking to the hip.

I see many people say that the matches look sloppy but from what I have seen a lot of TKD fights look like this. They generally look sloppy. The reason for it looking worse on the show is that u get 2 pts for every punch while kicks to the leg and body only get 1 pt. Therefore everyone wants to punch.

Whitney is a cutie and who wouldnt want a g/f that can kick some butt.

MMAfighter

Green Belt
Reaction score
Maybe we should send someone from martial talk to represent us to the show and show them what REAL martial arts is hahaha. I bet Ernie reyes jr. could whoop em all.

OP
AceHBK

AceHBK

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
MMAfighter said:
Maybe we should send someone from martial talk to represent us to the show and show them what REAL martial arts is hahaha. I bet Ernie reyes jr. could whoop em all.

:rofl:
Im all in favor of that idea!

Nevada_MO_Guy

Green Belt
Reaction score
It sure is a "pretty" show. :)

The intro to the show...shows a fella working his way to the top of a building and hits and kicks to the head are shown, but they are not allowed in the actually fights on the show.

phlaw

Purple Belt
Reaction score
To me the show reminds me of WMAC Masters, without the crazy costumes. None of them really impress me as martial artists, with the exception of Ernie.

painstain

Green Belt
Reaction score
i've seen it twice. i have to say i liked it. it is point sparring allowing the watchers to see good clean technique. i know one guy is a 4th dan there is a hapkido guy, kunf fu, karate, and another i've never heard of. last night one guy actually used a drunken boxing style. i enjoy watching it and recomend it. where i am it comes on at 9pm on fridays.

with respect,
painstain

Nevada_MO_Guy

Green Belt
Reaction score
painstain said:
last night one guy actually used a drunken boxing style. i enjoy watching it and recomend it.
I saw that episode as well, he was the XMA guy. He switched it up by going to drunken boxing then monkey kung fu.

That episode was going good until the guy got a throat punch.

evenflow1121

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
That isnt drunken style, that is just some made up crap he probably picked up somewhere like the Dead or Alive Video Game, the footwork wasnt agile enough, in Drunken Boxing your footwork has to be agile in order to pick up power from ackward positions. There is more to drunken boxing than that, and as far as that monkey thing he was doing, sort of reminded me of Bloodsport for a second there rofl.

OP
AceHBK

AceHBK

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
evenflow1121 said:
That isnt drunken style, that is just some made up crap he probably picked up somewhere like the Dead or Alive Video Game,

LOL

Speaking of. The guy Johnathan (talked bad about american karate) his bow is taken from the video game Tekken. I think Jin Kazama does it. :rofl:

Kenpobldr

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I watched two episods last night to give it the benefit of doubt and I was unimpressed. I thought that it was pretty lame and I doubt that it will be picked up again for another season. Some of the sparring was ok but I think that at least there should be headgear worn and headshots allowed. I have tivod the show in hopes that it will improve.

Latest Discussions