fighting bigger and stronger person or people

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
I do recall that conversation. I was arrogant and I apologize.

No need to apologize. I personally don't have any problems with arrogance from high quality individuals. The best and the brightest tend to have a willful self confidence. If they didn't have that, they wouldn't be soaring into uncharted territory. I predict you will be kicking and fighting throughout the beginning part of the journey, at least to yourself, until you reach a point where you are no longer fighting it. That's when true freedom and true mastery will begin for you. I suspect you are already at that point in goju ryu.

It is not that I necessarily wish personally to learn the poomsae now for myself, but as I now own a dojang that follows KKW guidelines, I should serve my new students and do so. Perhaps in time I will see the value of the poomsae and be able to impart it to others.

Everyone has to start somewhere. The main thing is that you have begun.

Thank you. We don't agree on some things but I have never doubted your sincerity to build TKD the best way you know how.

We don't ever have to agree on everything. We don't ever have to agree on most things. What is important is that you feel welcomed within the taekwondo family, and that you know that if you ever need help, your family is there for you. You are not alone.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
For example kicking low to the knees, or the blader or the b.....s, or maybe a karate chop to the neck or troat, or maybe a hammerfist to the temple or nose or what about a palm strike to the chin, or poke an eye... yes I know that maybe some of these techs are dirty but what the hell, if this techs save me from been brutally beaten I will use them in a blink of an eye.

Some times we encourage our students to fight fair (ala WTF for example) We must teach our students to fight dirty too.

Manny

First I think it is important to instruct students as to the different realities involved in sparring and when faced with a threat of serious harm.

Someone once said that if you are involved in a "Fair Fight" (self defense, not competition) things have already gone horribly wrong.

Fopr a technique against a larger opponent I reccomend a kick to the shin.
See page 20 http://371078645507472465-a-1802744...72tGQT0efLKqWp-BXU_Jib2MPZpjE=&attredirects=0

This technique was used in 2 movies, Gety Shorty with by John Travolta and in Cocktail by Tom Cruise. (I just love educational films) If you ever banged your shin on a piece of furniture you know it hurts like the dickens. It's an easy target and hard to see the technique coming. We practice it using kicking shields.

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
Manny, it sounds like your school is a sport only school. Sorry if it is, because sport should only be a small part of your school with only a few students wanting that aspect. The majority of the school should be learning basic kicks, punches, knees, elbows, take downs, and locks. They should be working on forms for good techniques, accuracy, and power. They should be learning TKD as an art and then some sport tossed in just to keep things light and fun. The serious sport students should have their own class for just that.

There is no such thing as WTF Taekwondo or WTF techniques. WTF does not teach or have any curriculum they only set rules and regulations for the sport. If you are being taught TKD then you should know how to punch, kick, knee, and everything else a person can do. WTF would only tell you that many of the techniques could not be used in the sporting ring. That is it. So sorry that you are not getting that.

igillman

Purple Belt
Reaction score
No matter how big or tough a person is there is one part of the body that cannot be strengthened and that is the eyes. Having said that it is going to be very difficult to get to them. Knees are another good area, a good roundhouse to the knee will take someone down. Your aim should be to take them out of the fight for long enough for you to get a head start on the retreat. You already know and practice all of the techniques necessary to defeat the person the only difference is your target area.

OP
Manny

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
First I think it is important to instruct students as to the different realities involved in sparring and when faced with a threat of serious harm.

Someone once said that if you are involved in a "Fair Fight" (self defense, not competition) things have already gone horribly wrong.

Fopr a technique against a larger opponent I reccomend a kick to the shin.
See page 20 http://371078645507472465-a-1802744773732722657-s-sites.googlegroups.com/site/ntkdacad/files/TotallyTKD_Issue08_Master_Weiss.pdf?attachauth=ANoY7cqXC-oaUSdMuNtT0wt_b984cH8ZwAeSe-VR7nxG3hQOYhjxkSe17WAuhtIUQatLjewxloaBVnZg8_gZz7liMV9OkQ7CXXAA6cnrcDcFC-Fh31sBl5rApmwaIDP0ezMjfh1TdvPEYsyoNDCYUnwGgRQDd7kk2QRFF_kKn3YCXcNzLZRuRxe5LVEYP_tqcU4CNXqyF2r4Kglba5Yw36lLKt72tGQT0efLKqWp-BXU_Jib2MPZpjE%3D&attredirects=0

This technique was used in 2 movies, Gety Shorty with by John Travolta and in Cocktail by Tom Cruise. (I just love educational films) If you ever banged your shin on a piece of furniture you know it hurts like the dickens. It's an easy target and hard to see the technique coming. We practice it using kicking shields.

Thank you, nice link BTW.

Manny

OP
Manny

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
Manny, it sounds like your school is a sport only school. Sorry if it is, because sport should only be a small part of your school with only a few students wanting that aspect. The majority of the school should be learning basic kicks, punches, knees, elbows, take downs, and locks. They should be working on forms for good techniques, accuracy, and power. They should be learning TKD as an art and then some sport tossed in just to keep things light and fun. The serious sport students should have their own class for just that.

There is no such thing as WTF Taekwondo or WTF techniques. WTF does not teach or have any curriculum they only set rules and regulations for the sport. If you are being taught TKD then you should know how to punch, kick, knee, and everything else a person can do. WTF would only tell you that many of the techniques could not be used in the sporting ring. That is it. So sorry that you are not getting that.

Yes, my master's dojang it's 80% sport and 20% self defense. The average class consist of warmup/calistecnics/streching, kicking drills, kicksing drills, more kicking drills poomsae and once a week WTF sparring.

The way I teach in my class is warm up/calistecnics/streching, basics (hand techs,kicks,blocks,etc) poomsae and self defense techs and once in a while sparring.

Why sparr once in a while, very simple I only have two students, when they show up at the same time I put them to sparr, however I¡ll star sparring with them more ofthen, for me and for them.

Manny

sopraisso

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Dear Manny,

I'm still new in the martial arts journey, but for what it's worth, here is my opinion:

You are interesting in self-defense. Martial arts were meant to work just for that, but frequently (not always) they're are just not practiced with that in mind nowadays. Everyone here said important things regarding the subject.
So first, taekwondo may work for self defense, but only if your training is dedicated to that aspect. I honestly don't believe the majority martial art schools do that today, and if yours want to be different, it has to focus hard on it.

Anyway... Self defense is something much beyond martial arts. It's much beyond fighting. So, what's the best way to defend against someone bigger than you? Maybe if you have a gun. Ok, I'm kind of joking, but not totally. The point is in a real self defense situation, the physical unarmed altercation should be the last option (and many times you just don't have such an option).

Let me go into examples: where I live it's almost impossible I go into a real fight. Why? First, because I don't work in an environment where it could happen more often (like being a LEO or a bouncer). Second, because if someone attacked me, there would be 0,1% chance my best option would be fighting back.
Why would ever someone attack me? Where I live, there's almost one only reason: to rob me. But where I live a robber would never attack me without circumstances that would put him in great advantage like: 1) the assailant has a gun; 2) he's got me alone against him and his partners (even so, rarely they would be unarmed); 3) there's a fragile and beloved one with me, like my wife or my daugther. Why would I ever, in such situations, chose to risk my life and/or other people's lives instead of only giving my money and going back home safely, after it's over? It's a very complicated choice, and there are many variables involved.

So I do believe fighting is an option, but it's the last option. Seriously, if you live in a hard environment, maybe you should buy a gun (anyway, you have to understand fully the responsibility of having one). Furthermore, self defense begins much sooner. Start watching out for your back when going on the streets. Avoid going out alone and walking around dangerous places (it many times depends on what time it is). Beware of the surroundings, trying to detect people with bad intentions. Try to walk in a way you don't look like a convenient target. Remember women and children are the favorite targets of assailants, so you have to take particular care with your loved ones. A person concerned with self defense maybe should try to learn to have how to talk to an agressor, how to avoid a fight with using words (example: not to stimulate or increase an agressive response from another person). One more thing: we have to remember that an agressor could have a much more prepared to deal with stress over violent situations than a martial artist, once the first can already be used to deal with alike situations, while the later is used to train in a safe, control area. We have to remember that martial arts were created in a reality totally different of ours today, and in that time it was immediately meant to be used as self defense -- and they were even more useful, because there weren't or there were not so many fire guns like today.

Now how to teach this to your students? First, this seems to be out of the martial art class curriculum (but totally within a self defense course), but it could be nice to talk about it in classes sometimes. As I said, I believe martial arts would help in self defense, but maybe an adequate state of mind is more important.

I hope people don't think I don't enjoy martial arts for self defense (sport martial arts are not my type). No way! I just love it, and I'm willing to learn to fight under real circumstances, and all that stuff. But I'm not planning to use that knowledge, and I even think I won't need to use it (hopefully).

Regarding to techniques in a no-rules fight... I could tell you what sounds good to me, but many people here know much more and are more experienced, so the above is my 2 cents, that I hope you find helpful.

Reactions: ATC

msmitht

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Manny, why must you teach your students to do something that is not a part of your art? You are teaching them TKD no? In that case, can you not figure out instead how to make the TKD do what you want it to do with regard to fighting "thugs"?

Otherwise, if you are going to teach them other kinds of fighting, you might as well teach them firearm handling or vehicle maintenance. These things are not a part of TKD. Should you not stick with the TKD and adapt that instead of taking your students down other roads?

Of course if you are teaching a course which is specifically self-defence then that is another thing :)

I wish you well, Jenna
actually the techniques are there and are a part of kukkiwon tkd. Must schools do not teach them. Knee, elbow, forearm, fingertip, palm heel....even wrist striking can be fornd in the current kkw instructors textbook. However, I have been to 3 kkw master instructor seminars(chocago, korea and california) and honestly we did not cover them.

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
actually the techniques are there and are a part of kukkiwon tkd. Must schools do not teach them. Knee, elbow, forearm, fingertip, palm heel....even wrist striking can be fornd in the current kkw instructors textbook. However, I have been to 3 kkw master instructor seminars(chocago, korea and california) and honestly we did not cover them.
She knows - I believe She meant, why doesnt He Teach the KKW TKD Methods of doing them, instead of Outsourcing.

Latest Discussions