Do you like to fight? WHY?!?!?

sopraisso

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Hi everyone again.
LetÂ’s go straight to the point: I love fighting. And I believe IÂ’ve been liking it before I have a hint on why I do.
Today, I believe itÂ’s in my blood.
Because, oh well. Assuming we are descendants, let’s say, of people that had to hunt animals and fight predators and rival individuals or groups to survive. Those who “didn’t enjoy the action” just wouldn’t survive to have a brood. So, making it in these terms, we’re children only of the ones who were ready to fight. We have will for fighting in our blood. To me this even helps to explain why men tend to enjoy it more often than women (I don’t mean women don’t or can’t enjoy it, of course): it should be due to the fact that the ancestors would leave the duties of fighting to the men of the primitive group.
So I love martial art, and itÂ’s much more than fighting, but maybe I have a primitive instinct of willing to fight! And I even believe all in all itÂ’s the main reason IÂ’ve chosen a martial art instead of, for example, yoga. That also seems why IÂ’m always so concerned in not only practicing at the dojang, but in really being able to fight, for real, even if I will never do it.
I hope some donÂ’t get me wrong believing IÂ’m some kind of sexist. IÂ’m just trying to interpret it in biological terms. And off course, I assume I can be wrong.
So what do you people think of that?

P.S.: Hey, Manny! Greetings to the Pan American Guadalajara Games!!

Gwai Lo Dan

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Assuming we are descendants, let’s say, of people that had to hunt animals and fight predators and rival individuals or groups to survive. Those who “didn’t enjoy the action” just wouldn’t survive to have a brood. So, making it in these terms, we’re children only of the ones who were ready to fight. We have will for fighting in our blood.

Man is very poor at fighting compared to say a similarly sized tiger. So why has mankind overpopulated the planet, and some tigers are almost extinct?? Thinking! So I read your post and I think "..people had to THINK to survive..." Hence I don't agree that fighting was that critical to survival.

ralphmcpherson

Senior Master
Reaction score
Man is very poor at fighting compared to say a similarly sized tiger. So why has mankind overpopulated the planet, and some tigers are almost extinct?? Thinking! So I read your post and I think "..people had to THINK to survive..." Hence I don't agree that fighting was that critical to survival.
I couldnt agree more. Our brain is what sets us apart from other animals. If humans had to rely on fighting skills we would have died off thousands of years ago. Sharks, tigers, lions, crocodiles, panthers, wild dogs, gorillas, bears etc etc would tear a human a new one in a fight. I see 'fighting' as primitive and like to think we have moved on past that. When I see two grown men having a 'fight' I honestly find it funny and stupid at the same time. I hate to fight with a passion. Dont get me wrong, if I have to fight and there is literally no other option, I will fight and fight hard, but realistically there are very few times in modern life where a human has no option but to fight. I am 37 years of age and have been in 2 fights in my life (both 20 years ago), and I honestly felt like a goose once the fight was over. In a nutshell, no I dont like to fight, in fact I hate fighting, and avoid it at all costs.

OP
S

sopraisso

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I couldnt agree more. Our brain is what sets us apart from other animals. If humans had to rely on fighting skills we would have died off thousands of years ago. Sharks, tigers, lions, crocodiles, panthers, wild dogs, gorillas, bears etc etc would tear a human a new one in a fight. I see 'fighting' as primitive and like to think we have moved on past that. When I see two grown men having a 'fight' I honestly find it funny and stupid at the same time. I hate to fight with a passion. Dont get me wrong, if I have to fight and there is literally no other option, I will fight and fight hard, but realistically there are very few times in modern life where a human has no option but to fight. I am 37 years of age and have been in 2 fights in my life (both 20 years ago), and I honestly felt like a goose once the fight was over. In a nutshell, no I dont like to fight, in fact I hate fighting, and avoid it at all costs.

I agree with you and with Gwai Lo Dan in some extent.
But also you have to see I'm not only talking about fighting against other animals (although I believe that could've even been important, too).
Note there was a long way our current culture, and before it was built, there was a time when really one man would fight the other for food, for a place to live and, surely, for women. Just like other animals, including primates, do. In this case intelligence wouldn't be important? Certainly. But I don't think we can deny the were -- many -- physical fights. And anyway, fighting with intelligence doesn't mean not fighting!

I'm not an apologist of people brawling around. I defend non-violence in every possible situation. But I believe there is an agressive aspect of our instinct, and it also serves to explain many stupid actions of people nowadays. I just believe it has a natural cause. And more, I believe we, who practice martial arts, have found a good way to express this natural instinct, and making it become a good thing instead of a bad.

Some days ago I was talking to a friend who was starting training martial arts, and he said self-defense was an important aspect to consider. I thought about it, and today I come to the conclusion that I don't exactly need to learn to defend myself. Not in a common sense way. I wouldn't dare to bare-handed fight an armed person. I shouldn't fight in every occasion I had a chance to run.

I'm not a LEO, when would I really need to apply self-defense knowledge? Maybe there would be a time in life, but I doubt fighting would be the best available option (in most cases there would be too many risks). Even if it were, such a situation seem to be more unlikely to happen than any other danger situation in my life.

Unfortunately, I have never attempted to learn first aids like cardiopulmonary resuscitation or Heimlich manouver. These are self-defenses I believe I could need some day. So why do I opt for learning a martial art, instead? I believe there is another reason, and honestly I believe "self-defense" is just a frequent illusion.

Anyway, off course there are million other benefits in martial arts other than self-defense (the most uncertain one), but I think there are other attractive aspects in it. :p

ralphmcpherson

Senior Master
Reaction score
Even fighting against other people for food, shelter, women etc became irrelevent a long time ago. People started using their brain and realised it gets you further than fists would. Basically, smart people ended up with more money and with more money they didnt have to fight. The 'brawlers' died off, the rich had better food, clothes, shelter etc and lived longer healthier lives and could procreate and because of their wealth their children had a better chance of survival. This went on for thousands of years to the point where it could be argued those that didnt fight and used their brain rather than brawn won the battle of 'survival of the fittest'. Even human vs human, the one with the most brains generally wins out.

OP
S

sopraisso

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Even fighting against other people for food, shelter, women etc became irrelevent a long time ago. People started using their brain and realised it gets you further than fists would. Basically, smart people ended up with more money and with more money they didnt have to fight. The 'brawlers' died off, the rich had better food, clothes, shelter etc and lived longer healthier lives and could procreate and because of their wealth their children had a better chance of survival. This went on for thousands of years to the point where it could be argued those that didnt fight and used their brain rather than brawn won the battle of 'survival of the fittest'. Even human vs human, the one with the most brains generally wins out.

If you permit me to respond once again, I agree with your general idea, but...
I believe the fact that fighting other people for food, shelter or woman have become irrelevant doesn't mean it was not relevant at a time. And in that time, only the ones who fought survived and, more important, had their children. All the following people were descendant of those first who fought. I agree with most of what you said. Of course the most brains tend to win. Even in this case, as I said before, it's fighting with brains, but still fighting.
Anyway, the brains, but I don't believe it was always like that. If there was a single momment in pre-history where it wasn't just intelligence what decided a fight, so after that, all the people have descended from the "fighters".
By the way, even nowadays unfortunately it's not always the most brains who "wins", in some places and circumstances. I'm not only talking about wars (I reffer actually most to a time much earlier than organized wars).
Also, for the ones who believe evolution theory (I can't assume everyone does, off course), we may have inherited such instincts from other species, and it just remained there in human species.
Again, I don't mean we have to focus our agressivity in gratuitous violence. Martial arts are a great way to deal with it.

NSRTKD

Green Belt
Reaction score
As a woman, this topic is really interesting to me. I like to fight so that I know I can defend myself or my children should fighting become necessary. But I also like to watch MEN fight. I like to watch them duke it out and use their muscles aggressively. If my instinct to protect my kids from forces I haven't encountered yet still run strong even though I no longer need to know how to protect them from plundering enemy villages, then I can assume that the reason I like to watch men fight because on some ancient level of my instinct, they are showing me they can still defend my home and kids and hunt us good food. Look at it this way: men still like breasts even though a lot of women don't breastfeed their babies anymore. It used to be that breasts meant your children would survive, and now we have replacement options for that, but you don't see men in the supermarket drooling over bottles and formula just because it is another way for babies to survive. Nothing replaces the original lol!! We were designed for survival, and just because the NEED to fight to survive has dwindled doesn't mean our instinctive drive to be able to do so when necessary has disappeared. Part of being a long surviving species is not giving up on things that have helped you survive in the past.I like fighting because it is natural to like fighting, and because it gives me confidence that I can protect my family, whether a man is around to do it for me or not.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Man is the most violent creature ever to inhabit the earth. I wonder how many people have died at the hands of another since the dawn of man? While we have progressed into societies, the violence hasn't really left. (I'm just glad there aren't a lot of lions and tigers around who drink beer. :))

Also, violence, has become a form of entertainment. In sport, film and literature. It seems to do well, too. We seem to see the acting of it all the time. Kind of hard to channel surf, go to the movies or a bookstore and not see it. Or at least find it if you look.

Maybe the saturation of it has brought out something from inside many of us. Maybe it's natural in our DNA, I don't really know. But when you train in Martial Arts, you become better at it. Or at least better at dealing with it. Think back to before you ever took your first class. Probably a little different in your ability to deal with another who might bring a fight/violence into your life. Maybe that difference is what makes it fun in practice. We get a higher skill set, a certain peace of mind knowing that we can do things we weren't able to do before.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score

That means we fight but we fight sneakily, we are slyer than the animals so we win.

I like fighting, not just to defend myself etc I like the whole thing of pitting yourself against someone to see who will win, In MMA it's not brawn that wins, it's brains and techniques, physical chess. I like watching people fight, not just men, I hate this thing that women shouldn't fight. Believe me there's been plenty of fights over men!

There is still a need in people even in this day and age of relatively easy living to prove themselves, fighting sports and very pyhsical games like rugby are hugely popular with men and women playing all over the world in these types of sports.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
I like to spar because I consider it a mental and physical challenge like a physicl chess match.

Within certain parameters sparring is a "fair" contest

Sparring is not fighting. I don't like to fight. If you are in a "Fair" fight things have already gone horribly wrong.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like to spar because I consider it a mental and physical challenge like a physicl chess match.

Within certain parameters sparring is a "fair" contest

Sparring is not fighting. I don't like to fight. If you are in a "Fair" fight things have already gone horribly wrong.

If all else fails and you end up in a 'fight' fighting fair is the last thing you should do. I don't and never would fight fair in a non competitive fight situation.

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Liking to fight could lend itself to an aggressive nature. The human being has an innate nature to survive, which allows us at times and certain circumstances to protect ourselves and others if need be.

While teaching people to fight, I tell them we learn to fight so we won't have to fight. This concept helps us to distinguish between a pure self defense situation and a mere reaction to an aggressive act.

Gwai Lo Dan

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Note there was a long way our current culture, and before it was built, there was a time when really one man would fight the other for food, for a place to live and, surely, for women....
I am sure it is still true in high school today! haha. In general society, people treat a strong 250 weightlifter differently than a 125 marathon runner....whether I agree with it is irrelevant because it IS reality.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm afraid I do have an aggressive nature which of course is keep under control at all times! As someone said 'a lady never starts a fight...but there's nothing wrong with finishing it!'

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I'm afraid I do have an aggressive nature which of course is keep under control at all times! As someone said 'a lady never starts a fight...but there's nothing wrong with finishing it!'
I am with you Tez! Fighting is therapy to me :)

When done as part of one's martial art in a controlled ring or dojo fighting it is comradely (sisterly / brotherly). We are all friends afterwards, yes?

Fighting it is exercise for the mind and fighting encourages us to utilise our physical equipment as it was designed to be used. We do not grow old with the others, we grow older with strength and suppleness and faculties that the others keep through luck and not through effort.

Fighting can alleviate stress and fighting can brighten one's mood. Fighting is an antidepressant. I know this.

Fighting can prepare us for real world confrontation, not only in a physical sense and but can enable us to tackle bullying and aggressive-natured workplace colleagues (or nastyass bosses) without such fear or reticence. Fighting encourages confidence.

Fighting is not gratuitous, it teaches humility where we are the vanquished and it encourages magnanimity where we are victorious.

Fighting teaches strategy and tactics. It is akin to chess and but with strikes as chess was also designed.

Fighting with a certain irony I think encourages compassion. Who of us would ever bloody up or damage an opponent in the dojo without having immense compassion for their recovery and health, yes?

Fighting through one's martial art* is good, that is my opinion.
*other forms of fighting should be avoided for one's own good.

msmitht

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I say the more primitive the mind the more you like to fight. The more advanced the mind, or the more learned, the less fighting will occur.(unless it is against someone really annoying)

StudentCarl

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I like to win when I'm competing for anything. I'd always rather win without fighting. I like training to win, and sparring is fun.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I say the more primitive the mind the more you like to fight. The more advanced the mind, or the more learned, the less fighting will occur.(unless it is against someone really annoying)

I'm alright then, the only people I 'fight' are annoying well actually they are criminals so that's fine. :)

However, several well educated, erudite, thoughtful people I know are also people who like to fight so I wouldn't say it's a primitive mind that makes you like fighting.
http://www.martialedge.com/articles...rs/interview-with-bodog-fighter-rosie-sexton/

OP
S

sopraisso

Blue Belt
Reaction score
[...] Sparring is not fighting. I don't like to fight. If you are in a "Fair" fight things have already gone horribly wrong.
Liking to fight could lend itself to an aggressive nature. [...]
I like to win when I'm competing for anything. I'd always rather win without fighting. I like training to win, and sparring is fun.
Let me make something clear here. When I talk about fighting here, I'm talking about sparring, too. It's fighting in general, not in strict sense. I would hardly defend the idea of people liking to fight in strict sense, because off course nowadays (fortunately) most people don't like to fight. And, when I talk about fighting in a general sense, I guess I can notice the majority here of people enjoy it.

Why do we enjoy playing video-games (well, at least some do)? Why have we enjoyed catch-and-run plays when children? I believe it's all in our instincts. Those activities kind of deceive our brains making it feel like we were doing the real thing. The real thing? Well, hardly, but something closer to it. And that's why fighting themes are enjoyed for everyone. The whole plot of appreciated historical human dramas are about fighting somehow, and many times physical fighting. Come on, off course I'm not talking about really fighting to injure some other person.

Anyway, I do believe we have a primitive nature, primitive aspects of our mind, and I think denying that could even be just like filling a pressure cooker. Instead, we can deal with that, focusing those primitive aspects in healthy habits, and controlling them.

[...] Fighting it is exercise for the mind and fighting encourages us to utilise our physical equipment as it was designed to be used. [...]

• Exactly! I believe nature has grought our bodies to be like that. As well as out brains! And that's why or brais enjoy the feeling of fighting, even if in a controlled not harmful context.

[...] Fighting can alleviate stress and fighting can brighten one's mood. Fighting is an antidepressant. I know this.

• Yes! The same happens to me, and I believe it happens to most. And why? Have you asked yourselves about?
  • Biologically speaking, such relief, antidepressant effect may be related to the liberation of endorphines in the synapses. Why would the body respond like that? I would say, because our genetic heritage has given us all that character. The ones who didn't have such genetics simply died long ago (as I said, even in human species ancestors, maybe), and we couldn't be their children, after all.

[...] Fighting with a certain irony I think encourages compassion. Who of us would ever bloody up or damage an opponent in the dojo without having immense compassion for their recovery and health, yes?

Fighting through one's martial art* is good, that is my opinion.
*other forms of fighting should be avoided for one's own good.

• I agree with you, and with everything else you said in your post, and to me that means: we have some kind of fighting, agressive nature. But we can controll it and direct it to good things like martial arts, which even helps us to deal with such agressivity, and also gives us many other benefits, as we all know.

Latest Discussions