Fight Quest Kyokushinkai Karate Tonight!

Martin h

Green Belt
Reaction score
These guys all trained very hard! I was really impressed.
I have a question for you karateka though.... TKD often gets a bad rap because we allow kicks to the head but no hand techniques. But in Fight Quest they laid down the same rules. Is this the standard, or did they just do this for the episode?

Kyokushin (and its realtives -ashihara, enshin, sediokaikan etc etc) do generally not allow punches to the face (there are exceptions), and does indeed get some bad rap for it. That is the price for refusing to abandon bareknuckle. The difference (apart for the technical differences) from tkd is in the lack of body armor, the use of sweeps, lowkicks, knees, elbows and punches (the last two below the neck only) -and that you have to physically knock someone down to score a point (it is not enough to just hit).

Martin h

Green Belt
Reaction score
ya, but i didnt see any technique ... just pound each other in the chest and belly and ribs.... and maybe a kick to the head once in a while... sorry was not impressed with it.

The technique was there, you just could not spot it. Full contact fighting is never as "clean" looking as point fighting.

TimoS

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I've watched a few episodes of Fight Quest and while I don't doubt that the hosts take a lot more beating than in the Human Weapon, one thing that's been bothering me is the amount of injuries those guys receive. Like I said, I don't doubt that they get injuries, but are they really as severe as they make them to be? For example in the Pencak Silat episode, the other host said that because of the injury he can barely walk, yet he didn't seem to have much trouble with the leg during the fight. How do others see it? Are they exaggerating in your opinion?

Latest Discussions