Fiction MA Books you'd recommend

JP3

Master Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I seem to be running out of good fiction MA books.

In looking for new fiction books with martial arts being used by principal characters, and therefore such are described in the action sequences -- I can't seem to find good, new authors. Obviously, I'm not looking int he right places. So, what books have you read with good MA-using characters in the story, as "part of" the story, not just "Well, this ex-Navy Seal is a bad mamajama because he's a Seal and he can, like, do Seal-stuff. Actual scenes, descriptions of training/fighting and so forth.

Three of the ones I've found really good are....

The "Rain" series John Rain (who is Barry Eisler's character). The first book was "Rain Fall," but was subsequently released as "A clean kill in Tokyo." John Rain is a judoka, who went on to train with the Gracie's in Brazil. He is/was a Vietnam veteran green beret. So, he can be nasty.

The series containing the character Mitch Rapp (who is Vince Flynn's character). The first book was "American Assassin." Primarily army combatives at the elite level is what Mitch does. Good action, great poklicitcs but in a fast-moving story.

The series containing the character Connor Burke (who is John Donohue's character). The first book was "Sensei" Traditional karate style and instruction. Good read, someone is out killing high-ranked karate instructors. Who is it?

What would you recommend?

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well these are more teenage fiction but the Alex rider books have some good martial arts. The main character is a karate black belt and uses martial arts on numerous occasions.

There's another one where martial arts is the main theme. It's called Kung fu high school by Ryan Gattis

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
There is the les Norton series that kind of leans in that direction. (The guy is a boxer. Thats a martial art isn't it)

Anyway there are a lot fights in it. It leans towards a less serious take on the idea.

Les Norton - Wikipedia

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Remo Williams, The Destroyer series, by Warren Murphy and Richard Sapir.
Casca series by Barry Sadler.

OP
J

JP3

Master Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well these are more teenage fiction but the Alex rider books have some good martial arts. The main character is a karate black belt and uses martial arts on numerous occasions.

There's another one where martial arts is the main theme. It's called Kung fu high school by Ryan Gattis
I'm not uppity with my reading. I really enjoyed reading the Harry Potter books, for crying out loud. I'll check this stuff out.

OP
J

JP3

Master Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Remo Williams, The Destroyer series, by Warren Murphy and Richard Sapir.
Casca series by Barry Sadler.
Shiun's Sinanju! Loved those books. Hard to find them now, except in the half-price and/or used bookstores though. I totally forgot about the Casca series.

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
i never new there even was such a thing as martial arts books other than Japanese novels. have you ever read one of those? Musashi is the best known classic

OP
J

JP3

Master Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Shogun, by James Clavell has a bunch of martial arts scenes, primarily swordwork, but some hand to hand as well between clashing of different locals (i.e. houses with different karate-ryu) in there. Fantastic novel.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm not uppity with my reading. I really enjoyed reading the Harry Potter books, for crying out loud. I'll check this stuff out.
Also there's martial arts in some Sherlock Holmes stories couldn't tell you which ones but Sherlock Holmes was meant to be an expect in baristu and was a underground boxer in the stories

Ellis Amdur

White Belt
Reaction score
I hope this doesn't come off as self-serving, but when one self-publishes, there are few ways to get the word out on one's book. My novel, The Girl with the Face of the Moon, set in late Edo-early Meiji, with what would be now called koryu woven through it. More description and reviews on Amazon (currently e-book only - bound book later this year).

Ashworth

White Belt
Reaction score
The Katana series by Ken Warner. 5 books:

Katana Shodan: The Scroll of the Five Masters
Katana Nidan: The Unwritten Koan
Katana Sandan: The Code of Bodhidharma
Katana Yodan: The Immortal Masters
Katana Godan: Nemesis

I'm a big Harry Potter fan and an even bigger martial art fan... This series is pretty much like the martial art version of Harry Potter! I have just started reading through it again! definitely recommend!!

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
The Belgariad series by David and Leigh Eddings has some martial arts in it, although not specifically described as a particular system. It is a high fantasy series, not bad for the genre. The martial arts is definitely not a main focus, but is fit in where appropriate and decently done in a minimalistic way.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
John Rain books by Barry Eisler are okay. In the book, he's a Judoka, and the author clearly knows a thing or two about Judo and BJJ.

Eric Van Lustbader has written some martial arts related books, too... like Nicholas Linnear series.

F. Paul Wilson has written some fun books about Repairman Jack. Not as directly MA related, but he's a badass who does a lot of martial arts like stuff.

And lastly, the Connor Burke series is pretty good, too, by John Donohue.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score

I'm a big Harry Potter fan and an even bigger martial art fan... This series is pretty much like the martial art version of Harry Potter! I have just started reading through it again! definitely recommend!!
Not heard of these. I'll check them out. Thanks for sharing.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

Had to look up the summary of the first book. I'm very interested in reading this, but at the same time I don't know if I can read a book who's plot is focused around dim mak, even as fantasy.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
The Belgariad series by David and Leigh Eddings has some martial arts in it, although not specifically described as a particular system. It is a high fantasy series, not bad for the genre. The martial arts is definitely not a main focus, but is fit in where appropriate and decently done in a minimalistic way.
I've seen those books come up when I worked at b&n. Haven't started yet, because when I start a series I feel a need to finish it so 5 books is a big gamble on my time. Outside of the martial arts, is it worth reading?

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I've seen those books come up when I worked at b&n. Haven't started yet, because when I start a series I feel a need to finish it so 5 books is a big gamble on my time. Outside of the martial arts, is it worth reading?
I believe it is more than five books. That may have been the first set, then I think there was a second series, and a couple of backdrop volumes. It isn’t bad as far as it goes, but with the genre you always need to be careful because there is a lot of junk in there. I first read it as an early teenager and liked it a lot. I read it again as an adult, was probably in my 30s at the time, and while some parts felt a bit juvenile, overall it wasn’t cringey. I think if you enjoy the genre, then this one is worth reading.

MetalBoar

Black Belt
Reaction score
I seem to be running out of good fiction MA books.

In looking for new fiction books with martial arts being used by principal characters, and therefore such are described in the action sequences -- I can't seem to find good, new authors. Obviously, I'm not looking int he right places. So, what books have you read with good MA-using characters in the story, as "part of" the story, not just "Well, this ex-Navy Seal is a bad mamajama because he's a Seal and he can, like, do Seal-stuff. Actual scenes, descriptions of training/fighting and so forth.

Three of the ones I've found really good are....

The "Rain" series John Rain (who is Barry Eisler's character). The first book was "Rain Fall," but was subsequently released as "A clean kill in Tokyo." John Rain is a judoka, who went on to train with the Gracie's in Brazil. He is/was a Vietnam veteran green beret. So, he can be nasty.

The series containing the character Mitch Rapp (who is Vince Flynn's character). The first book was "American Assassin." Primarily army combatives at the elite level is what Mitch does. Good action, great poklicitcs but in a fast-moving story.

The series containing the character Connor Burke (who is John Donohue's character). The first book was "Sensei" Traditional karate style and instruction. Good read, someone is out killing high-ranked karate instructors. Who is it?

What would you recommend?
Steve Perry (Sci-Fi writer, not Journey's ex-frontman) is a Silat practitioner and has trained in a number of other arts I believe. A lot of his books do a good job with fight scenes. I'm not sure if they qualify as martial arts books, they're mostly science fiction, but they might hit the flavor you're looking for.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Jim butcher is quite the avid martial artist.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Here is one. No idea what it is like. But I know a few local martial artists who did the promo for the book.

If I looked in to it close enough she will probably belong to one of the local clubs we interact with.

Latest Discussions