God, this is going to sound so childlike. Solid Snake fighting style?

DoubleZ711

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Yes yes, I know its a game, but this question has just been eating at my insides for the longest time. If you had to choose, which martial art do you think most closely resembles the CQC he uses in the games.

Now, before you flame, I am not looking to be like a video game character or anything, but me and my friends always get into nerd arguments about this, and I just have to know the answer. So, what do you think?

If you have not played the games, no need to reply.

Aiki Lee

Master of Arts
Reaction score
In snake eater the CQC style looks a lot like the old green beret self-defense manuals you can buy at a book store.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In snake eater the CQC style looks a lot like the old green beret self-defense manuals you can buy at a book store.

Yeah...

...but how does it taste? :D

(for the record, I agree...)

Empty Hands

Senior Master
Reaction score
I was actually impressed by the fight choreography in Metal Gear Solid 4. It looked somewhat realistic. Bits of it reminded me of kenpo, but that it is my art, so it is to be expected. It looked like a healthy mix of several styles, with a heavy reliance on joint locks, manipulations and chokes, without going to the level of full on grappling.

Empty Hands

Senior Master
Reaction score
Ryoji Okamoto is credited as the motion capture actor in MGS4. I can't find anything on whether he is a martial artist.

Andy Moynihan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
People's Banana Republic of Massachusettstan, Disu
Yes yes, I know its a game, but this question has just been eating at my insides for the longest time. If you had to choose, which martial art do you think most closely resembles the CQC he uses in the games.

Now, before you flame, I am not looking to be like a video game character or anything, but me and my friends always get into nerd arguments about this, and I just have to know the answer. So, what do you think?

If you have not played the games, no need to reply.

Bit like Silat, Bit like Booj, Mostly like military H2H manuals from WWII--present.

But the engraving offers you no tactical advantage whatsoever. :p

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
If I had to bet, it would be Krav Maga. That is the "new thing" with military units and special forces. I have read a couple of the Splinter Cell books and that is what he uses as well.

GBlues

Purple Belt
Reaction score
No, it's not Krav Maga. I forget, but in MGS 3, if you buy the walk through, which I did at the time. In the back it talks about where hideo got the idea for the cqc. There is somebody in Japan that is actually teaching this stuff, and apparently from my understanding it's a pretty big deal in Japan. The LE officers there, and military are incorporating it, if I'm not mistaken. I'll see if I can find the book, and double check. But I'm pretty sure. I'll get back with you on it.

Latest Discussions