female aggression, trauma and wing chun

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
There is a LOT that isnt taken into account by the Writer.

All the usual oversights, anyway.

WTchap

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Well, one article can't contain everything on a given subject. Personally, I liked the article.

The biggest problems I have with the way MAs are taught to women for self defense are:

a) not teaching to develop and issue power (too many classes seen with woman who have trained for a while and still cannot hit with force)

b) not teaching how to deal with very aggressive, heavy attacks (too many classes seen with male partners going far too easy on their female training partners)

Especially common problems in WC/WT, which is fundamentally a soft and relaxed art. Heck, I've seen too many classes where the men don't train 'hard' enough with other male practitioners. :)

I came across a WC/WT site recently that had a FAQ section and it had something like this:

Q: Will I get hurt in training?
A: Absolutely not. We train in a control environment so you learn safely.

WTF. Any martial practice will, or should IMO, leave you a little bruised. You should leave training feeling like you actually attended some 'martial' art training.

OP
fighterman

fighterman

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I agree to both comments, in fact it's pretty hard to cover many areas and personally I feel that the article would have been too long and drawn out. however I am interested in hearing other opinions

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
You misunderstand - I mean, like the Calling the Police Option.
Ive seen that end very ******* poorly for the Woman and her Family. Especially her Family.
I mean as in, it overlooks Variables, and jumps to conclusions only someone whose either gotten off Luckily, or with someone elses Help could draw.

In any case, we seem to be on the same page regardless.

Well, one article can't contain everything on a given subject. Personally, I liked the article.

The biggest problems I have with the way MAs are taught to women for self defense are:

a) not teaching to develop and issue power (too many classes seen with woman who have trained for a while and still cannot hit with force)

b) not teaching how to deal with very aggressive, heavy attacks (too many classes seen with male partners going far too easy on their female training partners)

Especially common problems in WC/WT, which is fundamentally a soft and relaxed art. Heck, I've seen too many classes where the men don't train 'hard' enough with other male practitioners. :)

I came across a WC/WT site recently that had a FAQ section and it had something like this:

Q: Will I get hurt in training?
A: Absolutely not. We train in a control environment so you learn safely.

WTF. Any martial practice will, or should IMO, leave you a little bruised. You should leave training feeling like you actually attended some 'martial' art training.

Latest Discussions