OP
Jade Tigress

Jade Tigress

RAWR
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
TonyMac said:
JT, try internal visualization with intent. Develop a sense of enemy in your training.

I like that that. Thank you, I will.

Blotan Hunka

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Not intending to open a can of worms but here I go.

Perhaps if you want to be able to fight, the style you are studying isnt sufficient. When it comes to fighting not all "arts" are created equal.

OP
Jade Tigress

Jade Tigress

RAWR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Blotan Hunka said:

Perhaps if you want to be able to fight, the style you are studying isnt sufficient. When it comes to fighting not all "arts" are created equal.

No that's not it at all. The applications are very effective...my mind just goes blank on spontaneous application drills. Re-read the post. :)

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Blotan Hunka said:

I know the style Jade is training and I can tell you from (painful) experience it is very good at fighting.

Jade Tigress said:
No that's not it at all. The applications are very effective...my mind just goes blank on spontaneous application drills. Re-read the post. :)

Things take time, even if you have previous experience in another CMA form or for that matter the same CMA form. The approach to fighting can be different from form to form and teacher to teacher.

One of these days I will post my recent Yang style experience as it applies to teachers... now that was a very frustrating yet liberating situation... Pushed me right back into Chen it did.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Correction in my previous thread, replace form with style.

Correction: Things take time, even if you have previous experience in another CMA style or for that matter the same CMA style. The approach to fighting can be different from style to style and teacher to teacher.

Sorry about the error

pirate wyatt

White Belt
Reaction score
The best advice on this ive ever heard was from one of my old football coachs "dont think do ill repeat that just to let you know how important it is, dont think do. I dont care if you mess up but if you do i want to see you mess up at a million miles an hour"

Thinking back on a few of my boxing matches i never thought to myself "oh now would be a good time to throw in a jab" you just have to kinda loose control and not think about what your doing.

I dont know but maybe your worrying to much about "applying" let your instincts take over it makes your body do things much faster.

OP
Jade Tigress

Jade Tigress

RAWR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
pirate wyatt said:
I dont know but maybe your worrying to much about "applying" let your instincts take over it makes your body do things much faster.

Well, that's exactly what happens, my problem is that when I let my instincts take over I end up responding with some dumb, ineffective action, rather than an effective technique I've been training.

Another thing I realized the other night in class, was that I am learning some new techniques and feel that's what I have to use in the drill. I am supposed to be learning the new technique...so I refrain from using a technique I trained for against a similar attack. And again, when faced with needing a quick action I spaz...lol.

I just feel like I should be able to demonstrate more skill considering I have some experience.

I appreciate all the feedback and it has all been very helpful. I feel better about it and will just keep trying my best until I succeed. At which point..I will move on! :D

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
One thing I want to say about the instinct thing is that kung fu is not natural. You have to train your body to react in certain ways to certain stimulus. Just letting your body react is great, but when training, when trying to learn kung fu, especially mantis, you need to slow down and learn the movements and let them become natural before you will be able to react and be able to pull off the techniques. So, while letting your body react is good advice, when learning new things that can't be done, you will have to go slow and learn every little piece of the tehcnique, every movement and such.

just my 3 cents,
7sm

OP
Jade Tigress

Jade Tigress

RAWR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
7starmantis said:
One thing I want to say about the instinct thing is that kung fu is not natural. You have to train your body to react in certain ways to certain stimulus. Just letting your body react is great, but when training, when trying to learn kung fu, especially mantis, you need to slow down and learn the movements and let them become natural before you will be able to react and be able to pull off the techniques. So, while letting your body react is good advice, when learning new things that can't be done, you will have to go slow and learn every little piece of the tehcnique, every movement and such.

just my 3 cents,
7sm
That is so true, I'm glad you brought that up.

Here's an interesting caveat...at class on Monday we were doing some application drills again and I was working with a younger guy, maybe 15 or so, who only started a few months before me and one of those whom last time I was thinking "look how well he does this already"...well, he says to me, "You do this so much better than me" LOL! I guess perspective has a lot to do with it too! HAHA!

I am seeing improvement, slowly but surely..

Kensai

Black Belt
Reaction score
You think YOU'RE inadequate? Mate, you've got nothing on me. I've just picked my car up from having it serviced. I raced back to my office during lunch having picked it up, around 3 to 4 miles or so. Thought I'd left my baby bag with all of my personal belongings (for when my daughter's born) at the garage. Raced back there, only to be told it wasn't there, I "must have left it in the taxi" on the way there. Raced back into the city centre taking a wrong turn down a one way street with cars coming at me. Found the taxi driver that took me, he maintained he'd seen nothing, but kindly gave me the address of the next person he'd taken after me, so I zoomed off another several miles to knock on their door to be told they'd not seen it. I came back to my desk, resigned to the fact that I'd lost it, all my personal details etc... It was at my desk all along. I'd never taken it. :rolleyes:

At the moment, I'm in the middle of a house sale, I'm (well my mrs is - but by default so am I) 8+ months pregnant, and studying in my spare time, and have a job interview next week... and am arranging a wedding. Think I'm doing too much....? I'm feeling kinda inadequate myself. :(

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Kensai said:
You think YOU'RE inadequate? Mate, you've got nothing on me. I've just picked my car up from having it serviced. I raced back to my office during lunch having picked it up, around 3 to 4 miles or so. Thought I'd left my baby bag with all of my personal belongings (for when my daughter's born) at the garage. Raced back there, only to be told it wasn't there, I "must have left it in the taxi" on the way there. Raced back into the city centre taking a wrong turn down a one way street with cars coming at me. Found the taxi driver that took me, he maintained he'd seen nothing, but kindly gave me the address of the next person he'd taken after me, so I zoomed off another several miles to knock on their door to be told they'd not seen it. I came back to my desk, resigned to the fact that I'd lost it, all my personal details etc... It was at my desk all along. I'd never taken it. :rolleyes:

At the moment, I'm in the middle of a house sale, I'm (well my mrs is - but by default so am I) 8+ months pregnant, and studying in my spare time, and have a job interview next week... and am arranging a wedding. Think I'm doing too much....? I'm feeling kinda inadequate myself. :(

DAMN!!!!

And I thought I was busy.

Kensai

Black Belt
Reaction score
I don't see anyone rushing to hug the Kensai. Ok, I'll settle for a pint. Guinness please. :drinkbeer

Back on topic. (Sorry)...

Latest Discussions