Feeling 20 something again!

TKDmel

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Tonight near the end of class, the master asked who would be testing tomorrow night, so I raised my hand. (2nd of 6 maintainance test before 2 dan) I was asked to do Koryo. After I finished, the Master said it was very, very good. After the class was over, several students of various rank came over to me and asked me if I would give private lessons to them on their poomse. They asked how I was able to make every strike and kick "pop". I made me feel very good to say the least. I felt like I was back in my 20"s again. Nice to know I haven't lost it, and more importantly, that I made an impact on how several people view their forms.

exile

To him unconquered.
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Tonight near the end of class, the master asked who would be testing tomorrow night, so I raised my hand. (2nd of 6 maintainance test before 2 dan) I was asked to do Koryo. After I finished, the Master said it was very, very good. After the class was over, several students of various rank came over to me and asked me if I would give private lessons to them on their poomse. They asked how I was able to make every strike and kick "pop". I made me feel very good to say the least. I felt like I was back in my 20"s again. Nice to know I haven't lost it, and more importantly, that I made an impact on how several people view their forms.

There's nothing quite like that sense that the old cunning is still there, eh? Well, good for you, TKDM! A good hyung performance is a genuine work of art. My own instructor does poomsae with such grace and economy of motion that it's intimidating... but it's also inspiring to watch a true master of his craft at work.

bluemtn

Senior Master
Reaction score
That is always a great feeling! Way to go, TKDM, and best wishes on your upcoming test!

K31

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I feel like I'm in my teens, wait, we are talking about IQ here right? :)

Sorry. Way to go!

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
Good Luck tonight on your test Mel!

I love to see poomsae performed well-congratulations on your performance of Koryo (which really is one of the most physically challenging poomsae).

Miles

wade

Black Belt
Reaction score
Damn Mel, must be nice to get that feeling again. The last time I was feeling 20 again just got me into a lot of trouble, now I try to stay in the 30's and 40's. It's safer.

Shaderon

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Well done TKDM, I bet it feels good. I was going to post that old joke but it looks like Tellner and Wade beat me too it... I'd be happy just to feel early 30's... yea ok I know I've gone too far...

OP
TKDmel

TKDmel

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I plan on competing in the NY state championships at the end of the month. I just watched the new Rocky movie so I'm all hyped up for some good fighting. Hope I perform like I'm 20 something too! LOL

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Cool.

That is great.... I haven't felt like I was 20 something since I was well 20 something. I just have to settle for 20 something twice plus some.

DavidBenson

White Belt
Reaction score
TKDMel, that's got to be a great feeling, and bears with it both honor AND responsibility.

As for my own performances, half of my pops come from my joints...

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score

Mel, that is great and good for you. It is always good to hear nice stories such as that.

OP
TKDmel

TKDmel

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I plan on competing in the NY state championships at the end of the month. I just watched the new Rocky movie so I'm all hyped up for some good fighting. Hope I perform like I'm 20 something too! LOL

The tourney wasn't as well organized as I hoped, but despite having to fight someone much heavier, and somewhat younger, I did o.k. taking the silver medal. I learn more from losing than winning and I learned that I need to stay in my own weight class. LOL