FBI Manufactuers Terror Plots - New York Times Article

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/29/opinion/sunday/terrorist-plots-helped-along-by-the-fbi.html

THE United States has been narrowly saved from lethal terrorist plots in recent years — or so it has seemed. A would-be suicide bomber was intercepted on his way to the Capitol; a scheme to bomb synagogues and shoot Stinger missiles at military aircraft was developed by men in Newburgh, N.Y.; and a fanciful idea to fly explosive-laden model planes into the Pentagon and the Capitol was hatched in Massachusetts.

But all these dramas were facilitated by the F.B.I., whose undercover agents and informers posed as terrorists offering a dummy missile, fake C-4 explosives, a disarmed suicide vest and rudimentary training. Suspects naïvely played their parts until they were arrested.

Aren't these the reasons why we're giving up our rights?

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The FBI is good at finding patsies.

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Find a crackpot, offer him the means, then bust him and bask in the good publicity. Not that I'm in any way cynical. :shrug:

72ronin

Purple Belt
Reaction score
For Sale: RC plane, can carry payload of up to 100 pounds! Powerful transmitter/receiver, ideal for flying through city streets.
For more information call 555FBI !

Last edited:

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
Would anyone here prefer that watchful jihadist militants found these people by whatever means, and that actual attacks were carried out?

I don't recall any of these people going to court with entrapment defenses. I think they mostly confessed, apparently feeling that their attempts had been righteous.

Mind you, if the FBI did use entrapment (look it up before you say they did please), I would be first to condem them. So would their lawyers.

Sorry, I can't jump on your hay wagon for a ride, but to me at least, it smells like your hay came from the barn yard rather than the barn.

72ronin

Purple Belt
Reaction score
It is implied that the kid was reluctant to proceed, and was encouraged.

Dont get me wrong, if he wants to involve himself in that stuff then take him out for all i care, It just comes across as a little odd is all. He's young, not entirely independant of mind etc do you see that in this story or?
I would have thought someone much older and "set" in their ways/beliefs would present a bigger danger than some kid. Maybe the better plan would have been to eventualy follow the kid to these apparent "militant jihadists" living in the burbs as you put it.
You can bust the dealer on the corner week in week out, but untill you bust the supplier, you will not stop the problem.

I mean, if there is the greatest potential of danger to be found in our youth, then we are in a bit of trouble!