favourite techniques against straight punch

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
hi im just wondering what you guys like to do against a heavy committed type of straight punch coming right at your face not a wing chun punch but some one really charging in. i tend to parry with pak sau and side step 45 degrees also i like doing what we used to call the chum kiu parry where you parry the arm downwards and the person almost falls into a knife hand strike with the other hand which leads into a knee strike. what do you guys like doing.

qwksilver61

Black Belt
Reaction score
I still get a kick out of riding off of their power like a turnstile ,a simple push from their end, tan sau,straight sun punch to the ole bean,good night.works on large fellows pretty good.

OP
mook jong man

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
do you mean intercepting with your tan sau , letting the force push your tan sau back while pivoting and punching with the other arm have i got it right.

graychuan

Blue Belt
Reaction score
To offer a different approach....

I wouldnt turn at all. I would change the line of the attack with a Lop-Sao or Lop-Da (Grabbing Hand and simultaneous strike) and go straight in...forward step. Jam them with a bridge or Mon-Sao then to a Lop if you want but a Da is even quicker. I have found that this works well in a fight...not just against another Wing Chunna. :uhyeah:

Here is my Sifu and my brother student showing an explaination.

OP
mook jong man

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
hi graychuan i looked at the video and i have done that application before i think our sifu called it asking hands he also did it with a latch , a low heel kick and punch. it seems like the applications of bong sau, tan sau and fook sau are endless arent they.

graychuan

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I still get a kick out of riding off of their power like a turnstile ,a simple push from their end, tan sau,straight sun punch to the ole bean,good night.works on large fellows pretty good.

Right on the money,mane! This sounds like the 'Da' that I mentioned. Im sure your lineage my have a different/similar term or application but the whole bridge/block and strike at the same time works well.

And ,Mook, the asking hand thing is consistent with what we do as well. As long as you make the quickest contact possible with the small upper triangle( be it a Bil Gee, Pak, Tan, Bong, Mon, etc.) you will control their structure. And its even more important when dealing with the bigger guys like Qwick said earlier.
Kinda like drag racing against a Mustang 5.0 They are not as fast commin out the gate but once the torque kinks in they are raging...you need to catch them before the torque builds.

graychuan

Blue Belt
Reaction score
This video is an example of drilling attacks off of a straight punch by me and another of Sifu Rahim's students. The main thing I want point out here is that although this is a practice drill and we are not actually fighting, I did not que him and I told him to attack with no less than two strikes, not the classic one-step attack. Notice towards the end of the video but before the Sol-Gee-Lan-Sao (sweeping gingers and pressing forearm) wrap drill I was doing, Devon actually punched low then high in the attack. At this point it was a Gong Sao(low sweep to the outside) with the right to a Kao Sao(receiving inward).

I find that its not just sticking and executing drills off of the Chi-Sao / Luk Sao drills for sensitivity but also these type of slow/fast attack drills help to understand the importance of bridging and controlling immediately. Attacking the attack and taking every fake as real does wonders. Either way you are crowding space and jamming, slicing, wedging and intercepting to get it done.

almost a ghost

Blue Belt
Reaction score
OK. I'm visualising somebody throwing a right cross ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cross_(boxing) ).

There's a lot to consider, but if I saw it coming soon enough and it was with their right hand I'd imagine a pak with my left while palming with my right. Now, if I'm fortunate enough to still have their punching hand hanging there then lahp with right hand and fahk with my left, and finish up a right driving palm into their head/jaw line while shifting into it. If their hand was retracted doing my first strike then I would just follow up with strikes.

BlueVino

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
hi im just wondering what you guys like to do against a heavy committed type of straight punch coming right at your face

I prefer wúwéi, sometimes spelled "wu wei."
...beyond that, I can only trust in my training.

Cheers,
Trueblood

OP
mook jong man

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
graychuan that video was great i especially liked the arm locks. always handy for when you dont want to beat the crap out of some one but still put them in a bit of pain.

KamonGuy2

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Oooo so many to choose from...
It depends a lot on size of opponent, how much he is following through, what environment you're in and what your opponent knows

Generally, stepping off and smashing the person as hard as you can with a stamping palm does the trick

Or you can clinch and use controlling movements to completely dominate them

Or you can take the arm and use tok sao to snap it whilst smashing away the knee with a stamp kick

Or you coudl do very simple bong, lap, fut sao into the throat

Man, I love wing chun....!

matsu

Purple Belt
Reaction score
sifu always says if you can see it coming why block just punch thru and you will beat it. even better backfist from low-always gets there first??

kamon guy- love that last comment!
matsu

dungeonworks

Black Belt
Reaction score
sifu always says if you can see it coming why block just punch thru and you will beat it. even better backfist from low-always gets there first??

kamon guy- love that last comment!
matsu

I learn the same matsu.

brocklee

Purple Belt
Reaction score
oh, that's an easy one. Centerline punch will both stun and stop the potential punch. 2 birds, 1 stone.

And then i can decide what my next 3 moves will be

graychuan

Blue Belt
Reaction score
oh, that's an easy one. Centerline punch will both stun and stop the potential punch. 2 birds, 1 stone.

And then i can decide what my next 3 moves will be

KUEN SU KUEN...Fist Parries Fist!
Now thats even faster! Damn good post ,mane!