Wing Tsun vs. Wing Tzun?

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I would like to know what the difference is between the two? From someone who is experienced with both styles.

I have a little experience in both, but my main qualification is that I'm the most objective commentator in the world on this subject IMHO. So here's the short version: Sifu Emin Boztepe trained Wing Tsun in Germany under Keith Kerspecht, became renowned as a "bad-***" fighter, got into it with William Cheung, came to America, moved to California, became an actor, took control of the American Branch of the International Wing Tsun Martial Arts Assn. (IWTMAA) for Grandmaster Leung Ting, continued to kick-***, and finally (like everyone else) got fed up with the way Dr. Leung managed things, and started his own assn., EBMAS, and began using the spelling Wing Tzun--in part to differenciate his approach and in part because he (wrongly) believed that the spelling "WingTsun" was protected under copyright laws (it is not, in spite of WTs claims to the contrary).

Meanwhile back at the HQ... Control of Leung Ting's AWTO or American Wing Tsun Organization shifted into the capable hands of Sifu Jeff Webb--not physically a "monster bad-***" like Emin, but amazingly knowledgeable, technically skilled, and a good business man. Also honest. So of course, eventually he reached the end of his rope with Sifu Leung's inimitable way of managing things and, guess what? He started his own organization: The NWTO or National Wing Tsun Organization. Wait a minute...Wing Tsun? Yes, because, in fact, this spelling by itself cannot be copyrighted! After all, who do you think contracted for the legal work for the copyright? Master Jeff Webb. Ha ha!

Meanwhile back at McDojo Central in San Antonio (Is my objectivity showing yet?), Leung Ting's organization is still chugging along. Several competent Sifu's are sharing the organizational duties there, and here in Phoenix as well-- there's my old friend, Sifu Sonnenberg, God bless him, who will endure almost anything to continue training with Leung Ting.

So what's the conclusion? All three branches teach using a very similar curriculum. If you are young, fit and want to fight, Sifu Emin may be your man. He's awesome., If you are a cantankerous old geezer (guess who?) trying to perfect his technique, you might choose Sifu Jeff Webb.

And if you really need to have Grandmaster Leung Ting's name on the door of your kwoon, even though he personally wouldn't be around to teach you squat, you would choose one of his several highly qualified instructors (there are some really good ones) and probably pay a bundle. Still, you've got that name....and if the Sifu is really good--who cares about anything else.

Now let me conclude with the famous words of LA Cop-beating victom, Rodney King, "Can't we just all get along?"

OP
Q

qwksilver61

Black Belt
Reaction score
Thank you Sir! Man you crack me up!LOL! so that's it in a nutshell!and here I was worried about getting quality,exacto,pc,WT! Alright,now I know where I want to be.Thank you kind sir! In GGM Tings own words " When you are losing in a fight who cares about formality?" This is for everyone; "be good at something and stick to it!" easy as that,I hope we all learned something.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Thank you Sir! Man you crack me up!LOL!.

Thank God somebody gets that I'm always at least half way tongue-in-cheek when I make thaese posts. Last week, I inadvertantly tee'd of Kamon again. Now the last thing I want is some oversized Englishman with a command of Wing Chun AND BJJ showing up at my door and kicking my butt around the block. Kamon, If you're reading this--go back and check my reply on Matsu's thread. I'm the last guy in the world to place stock in anybody's claims to have "the one and only true way" of doing anything!

Oh and while I'm in an apologetic frame, let me say sorry for all the typos above. The boss (wife)came by and demanded her laptop back pronto, so I hit "submit" before proofing the text. And I don't know how to access the edit feature here. Oh well...you guys can figure it out ; ).

KamonGuy2

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Thank God somebody gets that I'm always at least half way tongue-in-cheek when I make thaese posts. Last week, I inadvertantly tee'd of Kamon again. Now the last thing I want is some oversized Englishman with a command of Wing Chun AND BJJ showing up at my door and kicking my butt around the block. Kamon, If you're reading this--go back and check my reply on Matsu's thread. I'm the last guy in the world to place stock in anybody's claims to have "the one and only true way" of doing anything!

Oh and while I'm in an apologetic frame, let me say sorry for all the typos above. The boss (wife)came by and demanded her laptop back pronto, so I hit "submit" before proofing the text. And I don't know how to access the edit feature here. Oh well...you guys can figure it out ; ).
Oversized?? Outrageous!!

Dude, one thing you will learn about me is that my posts appear angry but I wouldn't hurt a fly

If I get that upset over a post, man, I would be in the wrong business!!

I did read the post but didn't want to steer the conversation away from the original point. Geezer, you are a gentleman (Hug)