Fatigue sucks

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I went beyond my limits with my and ended up sleeping for the most of 2 days. Fatigue hit me really hard this time. I don't remember it being this bad in my 20's. Even now, I could just sleep and be happy with that. The best thing I like about muscle soreness is that I know exactly which muscles need the extra training.

My MMA sparring partner really overpowered me this time. He really hit those weights hard. He was definitely ready for me this time. Time for me to hit the weights again. I think I'm going to start training with my mouth piece in my mouth as well.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I sympathize. It's been awhile since I trained hard enough to hurt the next day. However, I preferred that kind of pain over the pain of just being old. It means I was doing something positive instead of just steadily declining.

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
Recovery is just as important as activity. People just don't have infinite energy reserves, and especially as you age it's important to simply rest more. Science backs that up...people who push themselves too hard can suffer consequences. In martial arts that means too much stuff like cortisol and adrenaline, not good for you long term, before we get to body strain and injuries.

In CMA this is "too yang" etc, so we have corresponding yin diet and exercise.

Sleep is rest, but not the only kind, and it's important to slow down every so often, daily. But most so on training days.

I'm the kind of person who tries to get 20 things done in a day, but if I don't take restful breaks every so often (even just sitting down and doing nothing for 20m), it catches up.

So if you're the perpetually driven type like me, you're going to notice that if you spend a day training real hard (esp sparring), give yourself the next day off. You're not 20 preparing for an MMA smoker, your middle/latter aged dude who needs to keep the ship running.

Last edited:

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I went beyond my limits with my and ended up sleeping for the most of 2 days. Fatigue hit me really hard this time. I don't remember it being this bad in my 20's. Even now, I could just sleep and be happy with that. The best thing I like about muscle soreness is that I know exactly which muscles need the extra training.

My MMA sparring partner really overpowered me this time. He really hit those weights hard. He was definitely ready for me this time. Time for me to hit the weights again. I think I'm going to start training with my mouth piece in my mouth as well.

It will be a conservation of energy issue rather than a raw fitness issue.

harlan

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I started MA late in life, mid-40's, and so muscle soreness took a back seat to a concern over joint wellness.

Fast forward 20 years and life happens. My husband was state forester, taking down 'hazard trees' in state parks when a job went sideways this summer. Lucky to be alive...but pretty much physically shattered. I'm bringing this up because we all start MA where we happen to be at the time. And training, and wellness, is a floating goal depending on where one is at the time.

I dream about the days when muscle soreness was an issue. These days I balance daily training with the thought of conserving joint tissue for another day.

Holmejr

Black Belt
Reaction score
Great thought Bill M! Our long class is on Sunday afternoons. Mondays I’m beat, sore and kinda not good for nothin’. My wife will say something like “maybe your just getting too old to play with those young guys…” but like a good rocker, I’d much rather burn out than fad away.

Jared Traveler

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
It will be a conservation of energy issue rather than a raw fitness issue.
There is honestly probably a lot of truth in drop bears assessment. I have grappled many people who thought and commented to me about how I was really strong and in amazing shape. As they gasped for air and where exhausted. The reality was, they were trying to use strength and not breathing, while I was relaxing and using gravity, leverage and jujitsu.

Hanshi

Blue Belt
Reaction score
The worst fatigue is the chronic fatigue that comes with severe ra. It's with you 24/7 and affects every facet of one's life. It can be so severe that one does not want to do things that once brought happiness. Back when I was teaching I would feel tiredness and could still keep going with gusto.

I've always loved physical exercise and constantly ran, martial arts, etc. Those days are far behind and I miss the endorphin rush that made it so much fun. Many of us are seniors or senior plus. Too bad we can't all do the "Benjamin Button" thing.

Latest Discussions