Stretching

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I've used the technique advocated in the book "Relax into Stretching". Although the author's theory on how stretching works is different from the conventional theory, that stretching causes physical changes in the body, the application of his technique has been effective for increasing my flexibility.

The author, Pavel Tsatsouline, claims that each person's muscles are capable of relaxing to the point that the only limitation to your movement would be your actual skeletal structure. He goes on to claim that you have pre-programmed limits in your nerological system, based on your normal patterns of motion, that determine the limits of your movement. Basically, your mind learns where you normally move, and deems those movements as "safe". When you try to move beyond that range, your brain says "Hey... we don't do that." and causes your muscles to contract to prevent any further movement. So, Pavel claims that the key to flexibility is to convince your brain that you can safely move further than it is used to moving. The basis of his technique is to stretch to your comfortable limit, where your muscles contract to resist further movement, and then hold the stretch until the resisting muscles fatigue. When they fatigue (1-5 minutes later, depending on the person and the stretch), they will relax, and you can move further. You then hold this new position until the muscles fatigue again, and you can go even further. During the process, you he claims that you are re-programming the limits set in your brain by your typical day to day activity. Wether he's right about that or not, I have seen great improvements in my own flexibility by following his technique.

What do you think about stretching? I've also heard people say no more than 30 seconds per stretch or you might damage the muscle. Thoughts?

7sm

M

Mike

I am 42 years old, and tall, 6'5", so stretching is becoming more and more of a focus for me. I have vowed to really make an effort to improve both my flexibility and lower body strength in the coming year.

Although I have not read his book, I did purchase a copy of Pavel Tsatsouline's video "Relax into Stretch". I can't comment on the contents of the book, but I assume the video contains the main points. One important thing that you did not mention is that not only does Tsatsouline advise that you hold the stretch, but he also has you strongly contract the muscles against the stretch, hold for 30-60 seconds or so, relax as you exhale strongly, sink to the new lower position and repeat. This really does work.

I have also seen somewhat postive claims about the methods of Thomas Kurz and Matt Furey. Has anyone here used their books and videos? Are there any other 40+ year olds here who have had success in improving their flexibility?

Thanks,
Mike

M

Mike

Sorry about that 7sm. I just reread your post and you did note that Pavel has you stretch to "where your muscles contract to resist further movement". In the video this is a real emphasis. For most stretches, he clenches his fists and advises to contract hard all the way through your glutes, then exhale all of the air from your system.

Also, in the video he states that some thicker, stronger muscles will take longer to fatigue, so you need to hold those contractions for a full minute. I don't recall him advising longer, but I may have missed it.

Mike

Q

Quick Sand

I don't know anything about this book or his theories but the method is not completely unusual.

PNF (Proprioceptive neuromuscular facilitation) stretching is usually done with a partner but uses the same principle. You relax and the partner moves you to the point of a stretch, not too much you don't want to hurt yourself, but a comfortable stretch. After holding a few seconds you contract your muscles against the stretch for a few seconds and relax again. Your partner should then be able to bring the stretch a little further.

It works on the principle that when you contract one muscle for a movement, the muscle that would cause the opposite movement has to relax. For example: If I want to do a leg curl, my hamstring contracts to bend my leg and lift the weight. My quads have to relax to allow the motion to happen so by contracting the opposite muscle group from a stretch, you cause the stretching muscle to relax and you can then ease it a little further.

Just a quick note on how long to hold stretches. When you're warming up and stretching to prevent injury you should not hold your stretches for longer then 6 seconds. After a workout, when you are stretching for flexibility, you should hold each stretch for no less then 30 seconds.

OP
7starmantis

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Quick Sand
Just a quick note on how long to hold stretches. When you're warming up and stretching to prevent injury you should not hold your stretches for longer then 6 seconds. After a workout, when you are stretching for flexibility, you should hold each stretch for no less then 30 seconds.

That is interesting, do you have any sources for this? It seems so many people have differing oppinions on this subject.

7sm

Q

Quick Sand

I took a full Health and Fitness course at my university last year and we learned it there. The professor was one of the Head coaches for the varsity track and field teams and several other of the top athletes at the school. She had also been an athlete training for Olympic trials several years ago when an accident happened and she was unable to compete. She's been coaching and training ever since.

The main key is that at the beginning of a workout you want to do a short warm up to get the blood flowing through the muscles, often just 5 minutes maximum. You want to start to get your heartrate up. Then you take a few minutes and do the short stretches, max. 6 seconds, to loosen the muscles to prevent injury. You want to take them through the entire range of motion, not ballistic stretches or anything harsh like that though. This prepares them for your workout. If you stretch before you warmup you are actually more likely to pull or tear something then not stretching at all though. The blood has to be flowing though your system first.

At the end of a workout your muslces are generally tired and they tend to contract and tighten up. This is part of why we tend to be stiff the day after a long or hard workout. By doing longer static stretches you lengthen the muscles and allow them to relax in the longer position. Holding for at least 30 seconds minimum and preferably longer will get good. It helps prevent tight and sore muscles later, and it is when they are most ready to stretch a little further for flexibility. During this time your heart rate will be slowing back to your normal resting rate and it works as a good cool down.

OP
7starmantis

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm currently taking several muscle physiology classes as I'm finishing my masters in Physical Therapy. I was just hoping you had some sources I could read up on. That's cool though. It is interesting though that you were taught 6 seconds. I've never heard that time period before.

7sm

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
so after reading the book and/or watching the video hao have your results been. I would like to se a rport on your progress at least once a wek for a couple of months. Let us here if this is working for you and if you think you are getting better sults then from other stretching methods.

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
Originally posted by Mike

I have also seen somewhat postive claims about the methods of Thomas Kurz and Matt Furey. Has anyone here used their books and videos? Are there any other 40+ year olds here who have had success in improving their flexibility?

Thanks,
Mike

Haven't heard of Furey, but the techniques you descrive in Relax into Stretch are basically the same ones that Kurz advocates. Only real difference that stands out from a high level summary is that Kurz also reccommends that you do a lot of weight training and running to help encourace the muscle's full range of motion and power.

OP
7starmantis

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by tshadowchaser
so after reading the book and/or watching the video hao have your results been. I would like to se a rport on your progress at least once a wek for a couple of months. Let us here if this is working for you and if you think you are getting better sults then from other stretching methods.

I have seen great results allready, and I have been incorporating these techniques for about 2 months. I'm a tall guy and my upper legs and hips are very inflexable. I have thick muscle fibers and thus short range of motion. I don't know that I'll ever be able to do the splits for example, but this is the closest I have come, and all by using these methods. I'll keep an update going for a while.

Does anyone have any medical sources on any of these theories?

7sm