Families during Seminars

MBuzzy

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm curious to know what all of your martial artists WITHOUT MA Significant others do with your families during seminars and other "fly away" gatherings? Do you generally go alone? Take them along and leave them to fend for themselves while you're busy?

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Significant others? What are they? :idunno:

Shaderon

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Mine is left to fend for himself. It's a difficult process... first of all there's sulks, then eventually resignation, you get home and they've torn the place up and made a mess in the garden in order to make you pleased to be home.... Then when you get home afterwards you get a mix of complete attention and hungry glances at the cupboards to hint that they've not been fed all day.

No I don't have a dog, that's my husband.

I've told him to get a hobby, he likes playing golf so he needs a playmate really.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
As my wife travels a lot for business I am constantly left alone, so when a seminar comes available she has no problem with me going by myself..

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My wife used to go and watch and meet people but stoped going years ago. Now she works or works around the house while I learn

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Wife still goes to certain ones with me..She is not addicted as I am..

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm curious to know what all of your martial artists WITHOUT MA Significant others do with your families during seminars and other "fly away" gatherings? Do you generally go alone? Take them along and leave them to fend for themselves while you're busy?

I mostly go to seminars that are within driving distance, so my wife usually stays at home. My first 'away' camp was a few years ago in Chicago. She stayed home for that as well. She usually has no problem with finding things to do while Im gone. :)

Mike

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
MA is very much my thing and my other half accepts that. I gave up my career in the RAF as at the time you couldn't have children and stay in so I spent nearly 20 years following him around various bases and months at a time alone while he was on deployment (NI, Falklands, Cyprus etc) so now he's out this is my time so I don't feel guilty at all about going off to seminars, shows etc.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It's me and the dog... he gets annoyed when I leave the house, but he's a good dog, and always glad to see me when I get home - no devastation, no mess, just some dog hair on the bed!

One of my students brings his wife about 1/2 the time and she sits on the side with a needlework project; she likes to have some idea of what he's doing, but the other 1/2 of the time she does whatever she wants - if we're going out to eat afterward, she'll usually join us, but not always.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
I go alone, MA is my deal. Just like I wouldn't go watch her triathlon camps, I wouldn't want her hanging around being bored watching me punch, kick, swing sticks, or shoot things.

Lamont

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
For the 1st time, my wife came with to train. She was taught by a BB friend as I trained with the senior instructor. She loved it!

We brought the dog & she was taken care of by a friend afterword. During training, the dog was in her crate in a quiet room. It worked out well.

So far, so good.:)

OP
MBuzzy

MBuzzy

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice so far!

I'm moving back to the states and getting married soon...and the MT Meet and Greet brought up the question. Do I take her or leave her. Or rather....does she decide that she wants to go along or ALLOW me to go alone.

She said that she wants to go, but will be bored all day long and have nothing to do - in which case she'd rather stay home!

Paul B

3rd Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
That's about where I am,Buzzy. The wife has attended a couple seminars with me,though..so she knows what I'm in for when I go.

Lot's of hard training followed by many adult beverages..When's my next seminar again?:drinky:

Latest Discussions