Fake black belts

isshinryuronin

Master of Arts
Reaction score

Conclusion​

Young handball players categorized as obese according to %BF exhibited lower scores in basic physical performance tests. In more detail, increased %BF values seemed to negatively impact running performance, vertical jump, and aerobic capacity after adjusting for body height and mass.
Obese is different from being heavy. I will agree with the above quote, but just how much will this impact a real fight? Usually, martial artists do not run after people to fight them - they come to us, so running performance is irrelevant. If my opponent is too tall to reach with a head kick, I'll kick/punch them low, so vertical jump ability is irrelevant. Aerobic capacity will not be relevant, either, as the fight won't last too long. At least these things are true about the 250 pounds and over blackbelts (most but not all Pacific Islanders) I've been acquainted with. They were really quite scarry in combat.

OP
Jimmythebull

Jimmythebull

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Obese is different from being heavy. I will agree with the above quote, but just how much will this impact a real fight? Usually, martial artists do not run after people to fight them - they come to us, so running performance is irrelevant. If my opponent is too tall to reach with a head kick, I'll kick/punch them low, so vertical jump ability is irrelevant. Aerobic capacity will not be relevant, either, as the fight won't last too long. At least these things are true about the 250 pounds and over blackbelts (most but not all Pacific Islanders) I've been acquainted with. They were really quite scarry in combat.
Well then I guess medical science is wrong. Cardiology doesn't lie. A fat slob gasses out for a reason

OP
Jimmythebull

Jimmythebull

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
It's proved, not just a myth.

OP
Jimmythebull

Jimmythebull

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Not just fat people but mass in general. Rich Was a big bodybuilder who passed due to his size & of course drug usage. Watch how he's struggling to breath at the end..

isshinryuronin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Well then I guess medical science is wrong. Cardiology doesn't lie.
Your response to my post is non sequitur in regard to anything I said. In fact, I agreed with your quote, but make the point that those factors don't tell the whole story in combat. If you would like to take issue on any particular point I made, feel free to quote and rebut, otherwise, be more responsive to what is actually being said and don't be so contrary without a specific basis. To make it easy for you, here is the post again that you responded to:
I'm referring here to big, thick and heavy, not obese. The people I referenced knew how to use their weight very effectively and were still quick.

OP
Jimmythebull

Jimmythebull

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
What, No Long John Silvers, or Captain D's near you?!?:)
even the good old Schnellimbiss is getting fewer & fewer. Bratwurst or Currywurst & pommes covered in ketchup & mayo. was always good after a hard night on the lash. mixed well with a belly full of Pils.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Just a comment, this is not the "Last Poster" thread, and off topic comments might become an issue for the staff to lock the thread.
If we all stay on topic (* How do I bring this post back to the Topic? :eek: *) it could stay open for more discussion.

OP
Jimmythebull

Jimmythebull

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Just a comment, this is not the "Last Poster" thread, and off topic comments might become an issue for the staff to lock the thread.
If we all stay on topic (* How do I bring this post back to the Topic? :eek: *) it could stay open for more discussion.
well i think the other thread about choosing a new school where you commented is a good start. sort of ties in with fake or bad schools. I agree with your comments about schools just writing "Kali" or "escrima" because me my self i want to know who he learned from & the origins.

Latest Discussions