Fake black belts

ardimo77

White Belt
Reaction score
Fake black belts, martial artists are a problem and they will always been a blight. In fact, the martial arts has been plagued by this quite possibly ever since the beginning of time. When I was a child in the 1990's, there was a dude not too far from my house who claimed to hold black belts in like 17 different styles and then, supposedly made up his own style and he had students. Back 15 years ago, there was a guy on these forums (he passed away), who introduced and passed himself along as a Soke and of course, following a couple of replies that entire thread became quite humorous. This is always going to be a problem, not just in BJJ, but in all arts generally and now especially with all of this distance learning certification stuff. However, with respect to your comments on hurting children, there are some who have legitimate ranking who can be just as awful. In my home town for example, there is a very popular BJJ academy or franchise and probably the oldest one where one of their black belt instructors is being accused of raping a minor.

I've been practicing martial arts since 1990. I have seen a ton of snake oil sold to the masses and not just as academies, but in publications no longer in print. Today still, with the information so readily available on the web, people fall for these con men. As anything else in life, you get what you invest in. Do your research, ask questions. Don' t be afraid to ask where the instructor received her or his ranking and from whom. If the instructor's reply is some nonsensical answer or something resembling an old Kung Fu episode, or just not a concrete answer (something that cannot be verified), then avoid that place. If they do not allow you to watch the classes when your children are training because their method of martial arts ie system is some secret 007 super spy ninja stuff, avoid that place. If they charge for every little thing, promotions, an array of uniforms, different clubs within the academy, a faster path to black belt if you pay more, those may all be dire indications of a place you do not want to train.

OP
Jimmythebull

Jimmythebull

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
one of their black belt instructors is being accused of raping a minor.
regarding your post i knew a guy where i live who opened up his own style in a sports club. He called it "Nin Budo" & wore a red & black belt giving himself high status. I spoke to a friend of his who was a master of Vo Vi Nam & even he joked with me about his friends own style & master staus.
Later when i was working as a trainer in a Gym i met two young guys who trained at the sports club. They told me the "Nin Budo Master" was always going into the small childrens changing room & people complained.
disgusting piece of work.

OP
Jimmythebull

Jimmythebull

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
For what I do Prefectural level is 5th. National for 6th. Only one in around 2000 pass.
so is there any corruption in Japan money for a Dan? not saying there is but i did hear that a certain Aikido organisation liked money.

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
I have seen the first video before. She was struggling. But comparing these two videos and the people in them is about as far apart as you can get. One appears to be an average/casual possible beginner. The other, an elite athlete. It is just not a logical comparison. I am sure you can find plenty of videos with 'overweight' black belts holding their own.
The lady in the first video does appear bad, maybe very bad but I do not have enough data to make that decision and I am not going to cherry-pick a video to try and make a point. We have no idea what the outcome of that testing or competition was nor the ladies background or how much she may have improved.

Sometimes a visual like the video you cherrypicked just does not tell the story.
Did you watch the whole video? Because as soon as the dude narrating that video compared the two clips, he made the same exact point I bolded, very effectively imho. And then pointed out that the sprinter would also survive a SD situation where running away was involved. And that heavier dudes (and women for sure) that train well and can manage their weight can dominate sports like Judo and jiujitsu.

This was not that person.

Now, I'm not going to say it's nice to call people fat, and I never like to judge other people's performance in any video.

But he's asking, if that's a black belt, attempting to show a whole room of people (and by extension the entire internet)...what exactly?

Now, if she goes and starts a school as a black belt, it's not "fake" per se assuming she was granted it by whomever she claims. If she starts making other deceptive claims, this video...could become a big problem. Especially where people's money is involved. If I had kids and sent them to her school, even signing a contract for lessons, and then somebody showed me this...my money's coming back.

This is why successful scammers like Ashida Kim never, ever do this stuff on camera, btw. It's all behind the Inner Door.

Last edited:

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
athletic abilities are impaired look at any fat fighter & see how they gas out. now a big fat blob might throw a lucky punch but a lighter fitter athlete will in my opinion 99% win.
be honest if you walk into a new dojo (and this is the thread subject) & the "Master" looks like a bullfrog what will be your first thoughts? be honest.
Bullfrog? Hmmm tasty!

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

Conclusion​

Young handball players categorized as obese according to %BF exhibited lower scores in basic physical performance tests. In more detail, increased %BF values seemed to negatively impact running performance, vertical jump, and aerobic capacity after adjusting for body height and mass.

Tai tafusa.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Did you watch the whole video? Because as soon as the dude narrating that video compared the two clips, he made the same exact point I bolded, very effectively imho. And then pointed out that the sprinter would also survive a SD situation where running away was involved. And that heavier dudes (and women for sure) that train well and can manage their weight can dominate sports like Judo and jiujitsu.

This was not that person.

Now, I'm not going to say it's nice to call people fat, and I never like to judge other people's performance in any video.

But he's asking, if that's a black belt, attempting to show a whole room of people (and by extension the entire internet)...what exactly?

Now, if she goes and starts a school as a black belt, it's not "fake" per se assuming she was granted it by whomever she claims. If she starts making other deceptive claims, this video...could become a big problem. Especially where people's money is involved. If I had kids and sent them to her school, even signing a contract for lessons, and then somebody showed me this...my money's coming back.

This is why successful scammers like Ashida Kim never, ever do this stuff on camera, btw. It's all behind the Inner Door.

This is Fred Brophey's daughter I think.

Hanshi

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I've, thankfully, never run into anyone like this thread is discussing. But I have known one (actual black belt) who promoted himself to higher dans. I've also been around a few, not teachers, who claimed to have "earned" a black belt. We will always have them around and can only take them on a case by case basis. :rolleyes:

OP
Jimmythebull

Jimmythebull

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
It's always happened even the closed doors student ...🙂

Latest Discussions