Fake black belts

tkdroamer

Purple Belt
Reaction score
yes a liar & cheat. either you´re legitimate Gerry or not. no Grey zone. (my opinion)

lost me here, in my world you either have qualified or you haven´t. Just because i can do a double spinning kick practised in my back yard dosen´t mean i´m qualified to teach your children. c´mon Gerry get real !

There certainly are brown belts who teach & could in theory be a black belt. See Gerry a standard has to bet set to stop this sort of nonsence. Either i pass a driving test or i don´t but i can drive. get it?
Tests are so we have a set standard...no grey zone. simple as that.
Either i pass a driving test or i don´t but i can drive. get it?
I believe this is exactly Gerry's point. A person who has been a brown belt for 20+ years by their own choice, and continued to practice, is more qualified than some of the people who would have been promoting them.

Yes, tests are there to set a standard. But that never means they are required for everyone. In this context, your field has a grey zone. Plus, with the advent of enhanced training tools (zoom, video, etc...) it is easier now than ever before.

OP
Jimmythebull

Jimmythebull

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Plus, with the advent of enhanced training tools (zoom, video, etc...) it is easier now than ever before.
Sorry but you can't be seriously telling me that you can learn from the above & then teach people.

Yes, tests are there to set a standard. But that never means they are required for everyone
Exactly a Standard which is tested. No they're not required but then don't say your a black belt and qualified.

believe this is exactly Gerry's point. A person who has been a brown belt for 20+ years by their own choice, and continued to practice, is more qualified than some of the people who would have been promoting them.
I disagree they've attained that level & will probably be a better brown belt than most at that level. I've seen a brown belt teach at a Club here & he stayed brown belt for years as you said but he was not like the Black belts in the Club. I saw it. It probably depends on the Club, given the answers so far from you & Gerry it sounds like in the USA the standards are very poor. Here in Europe it seems to be higher standards. Also as I mentioned before a Dan grade if teaching or even a brown belt(in a Club say teaching kids) has to Also pass other licences to teach people. Social competence..etc.
I'm not saying all black belts here are top but there's definitely a Set Standard which from your posts are lacking.

OP
Jimmythebull

Jimmythebull

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Technically no. According to the value set we use here.
Look the guy up. He was apparently a well known chinese Star but if you look at the videos...Well if you believe in Faries🤣

OP
Jimmythebull

Jimmythebull

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
The issue is the standards don't really do a good job of determining who can black belt and who can't.

The issue is the standards don't really do a good job of determining who can black belt and who can't.
What_the....gif

Maybe not where you live ...

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Look the guy up. He was apparently a well known chinese Star but if you look at the videos...Well if you believe in Faries🤣

Yeah that looks super suspect.

Here is some randoms 2nd dan grading.

And honestly I have no idea how you would use this vehicle to identify martial arts ability.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sorry but you can't be seriously telling me that you can learn from the above & then teach people.

Exactly a Standard which is tested. No they're not required but then don't say your a black belt and qualified.

I disagree they've attained that level & will probably be a better brown belt than most at that level. I've seen a brown belt teach at a Club here & he stayed brown belt for years as you said but he was not like the Black belts in the Club. I saw it. It probably depends on the Club, given the answers so far from you & Gerry it sounds like in the USA the standards are very poor. Here in Europe it seems to be higher standards. Also as I mentioned before a Dan grade if teaching or even a brown belt(in a Club say teaching kids) has to Also pass other licences to teach people. Social competence..etc.
I'm not saying all black belts here are top but there's definitely a Set Standard which from your posts are lacking.
There is no common governmental regulation in the US. And even without that, in many arts, a BB isn’t equivalent to an instructor certification from many organizations. You seem to be equating the two.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If the objective is to be a Dan grade then the standards must be relevant.
That might be the individual’s objective. But what is the organization’s? They are the ones who set the standard, so should be the ones with an objective it meets.

I’m not sure they are all good at matching those two.

OP
Jimmythebull

Jimmythebull

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
There is no common governmental regulation in the US. And even without that, in many arts, a BB isn’t equivalent to an instructor certification from many organizations. You seem to be equating the two.
actually i wrote abour brown belts, please read my comments before answering. I also wrote about the US of A & my opinion on your non regulations of black belts..remember i´m only going by your comments & another poster.
I am not saying by any means that you have no real black belts in the USA.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
actually i wrote abour brown belts, please read my comments before answering. I also wrote about the US of A & my opinion on your non regulations of black belts..remember i´m only going by your comments & another poster.
I am not saying by any means that you have no real black belts in the USA.
Yes, this was mostly a response to your comments about regulation - in which you appeared to be talking about BB. Or did O misread that.

In any case, you seem to trying to poke me with comments about standards, implying my own are low (though I’ve not mentioned here either my own or those I was promoted under). I’m happy to discuss them if they are important to you, but they aren’t really applicable to the discussion here, since it’s apparently about the validity of ranks given to oneself.

Where there is no common standard for what BB means (and there isn’t, anywhere I’m aware of, outside a single organization), it’s tough to say someone doesn’t meet “the standard“ for that rank.

Latest Discussions