Facebook Martial Artists

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
The back of the neck is easily available there, the second one there is no chance because he is already off his root. He should have sprawled when he had the chance.

To do what? The back of the neck is almost in the arm pit. The person being taken down is getting pushed backward and the person doing the takedown is controlling the hips.

You may get some flailing arm movement. If your takedown defence is already good you can sprawl and brawl. But downward elbows is not a determining factor.

And knee strikes and body punches from underneath. Well all that you are allowed to do in mma. So hardly the secret kempo anti grapple.

Last edited:

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
when they got your legs already it is unlikely, I wish I new a video but I don't so I will try to explain it. Whey they are attempting the spear, they are lowered down and seemingly trying to jam the top of their head into your stomach as they reach for the legs.

During this time, the are going to be unable to block any incoming strikes aside from knee strikes which will be very easy for them to defend, since they are hunched over and have their hands readily available. in face going for a knee is risky because they can catch that leg, it is a risk but the reward is high, getting hit in the nose with a knee strike while attempting a spear can end the fight right there. Anyway I am saying it will be unlikely they will be able to block anything is because of two reasons, one they cannot see what your hands are doing, and two they are bent over so their hands wouldn't be able to reach up and stop anything even if they know it is coming.

Are you telling me you have never seen a spear fail because get a good clean hit attempting it?

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
when they got your legs already it is unlikely, I wish I new a video but I don't so I will try to explain it. Whey they are attempting the spear, they are lowered down and seemingly trying to jam the top of their head into your stomach as they reach for the legs.

During this time, the are going to be unable to block any incoming strikes aside from knee strikes which will be very easy for them to defend, since they are hunched over and have their hands readily available. in face going for a knee is risky because they can catch that leg, it is a risk but the reward is high, getting hit in the nose with a knee strike while attempting a spear can end the fight right there. Anyway I am saying it will be unlikely they will be able to block anything is because of two reasons, one they cannot see what your hands are doing, and two they are bent over so their hands wouldn't be able to reach up and stop anything even if they know it is coming.

Are you telling me you have never seen a spear fail because get a good clean hit attempting it?

It does happen. The person striking has to be a good wrestler to try it.

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
It does happen. The person striking has to be a good wrestler to try it.

Or simply know how to do it, I've done it and I have never done wrestling, I have done Judo, but never plain wrestling.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Or simply know how to do it, I've done it and I have never done wrestling, I have done Judo, but never plain wrestling.

Well not really. Because you have to be comfortable with being taken down if you screw it up.

Who have you done this to? How many fights have they had?

Because there is a difference between kneeing you mate in the back yard and kneeing someone who can actually set up a takedown.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
, are you telling me a downward elbow to the back of this persons neck is not going to work?

So, is this discussion about MMA or self defence because it's getting really mixed up?

A downward elbow, in fact any strike to the back of the neck would be illegal in competition so no one is going to train it for a fight, outside of MMA they may for self defence. You cannot get the two mixed up like this. We are taught when doing takedowns either single or double leg that your head should be jammed up against your opponents thigh and upright making the back of the neck a poor target, just as the photo shows. In MMA your opponent won't target the back of the neck but may well go for a chokehold if you aren't careful.

I don't see the point of competeting in MMA if you don't like it but as I've said I don't think you understand it yet. It won't give you anymore credibility in martial arts unless you are planning to coach MMA when you will need a lot more experience than just fighting.

When looking for techniques for your MMA arsenal there's a few things to consider, are they legal, are they effective for you, are they single techniques or can they lead to other game winning techniques, can you make them work under pressure, will they fit with your other techniques. for example I doubt dropbear and I favour the same techniques, some I cannot do because I'm too small, don't have the arm (or leg lol) reach etc, some techniques can be tweaked to make them work for me others I don't even consider. There is no one size fits all in MMA. Another thing about MMA is that a fighter has to be one or two moves ahead of the one he's doing now. The fighter will be doing a double leg takedown but his mind is on his next move and the one after that, that's why it's called physical chess. The fighter also needs to be listening to his corner and remembering his game plan and tactics, it's nothing like self defence at all.

Kenpoguy123

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Honestly I don't see the problem. You don't have to train to be a fan of UFC or mma or martial arts in general. I mean for example if I was a football fan and I post a link to a football match on m facebook Im not saying I'm an expert on football.

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

I'm suspecting you have not trained with anyone that is actually a decent wrestler, what you describe is not the proper way to shoot. If you attempt that on someone that knows how to do a takedown properly you are going to hit the ground hard. Maybe if you are one;y interested in self-defence and are relying on people using untrained technique you "might" pull it off, but what you are suggesting just isn't going to work.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Because you have to be comfortable with being taken down if you screw it up.

It's something MMA people learn to be good at because when fighting in a comp a lot of things can go awry so you always try have another move you can do. It's also why we say you don't actually ever lose a fight because while you may not have won the actual fight you've won because you've learnt so much, it's a luxury you don't get if you are fighting in a self defence situation.

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm suspecting you have not trained with anyone that is actually a decent wrestler, what you describe is not the proper way to shoot. If you attempt that on someone that knows how to do a takedown properly you are going to hit the ground hard. Maybe if you are one;y interested in self-defence and are relying on people using untrained technique you "might" pull it off, but what you are suggesting just isn't going to work.

I spar with some bjj guys and Judo guys among many other people who I don't recall their history. If fails to work then fine, as I said before not everything will work 100% of the time guaranteed because that is not how martial arts works.

If it goes to the ground I have Judo experience. When it comes to the spear takedown all you really have to worry about is not letting them get your legs anyways.

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well not really. Because you have to be comfortable with being taken down if you screw it up.

Who have you done this to? How many fights have they had?

Because there is a difference between kneeing you mate in the back yard and kneeing someone who can actually set up a takedown.

I did this to the top of the guys skull. Not the back of his neck because it is sparring and I don't want to hurt anyone. I did it as I lowered my center to make it more difficult for him to get my legs. I never kneed them in the face because again, it's sparring and that would be too cruel to do that to your sparring partner.

I don't know everyone's background but some of these guys are bjj guys and Judo guys. I rarely spar against a "wrestler" so to speak outside of the more common place grappling martial arts. A lot of them have a hard time getting a hold on me because I learned how to deal with it, I am not the best at it and I am 100% positive a more experienced person than I will take me to the floor.

But these individuals did not, it worked for me because I guess I see it coming. They make it obvious and normally eat side kick or I just pivot around them. It could be as you said. Maybe they are bad or maybe not as experienced. I was told though to make it as risky as possible for the grappler to get in close, and if he does know what to do about it.

When it does go to the floor I get choked and have no shame in tapping, but not everytime since I been getting better and better at it enough to get back up off the floor. Grappling is really more of a puzzle game, it's a lot of mind games and being several steps ahead which is why I don't like it as much.

I prefer to rely on my strength and relfexes and overall striking technique rather than play a logic game on the floor. I know I am less experienced than you guys here, if I ever come off as sounding like a know it all I do apologize for that. I was just trying to make it clear that I did do it before and the reason why I argue is so I can learn.

I would rather make mistakes here on the forum and be corrected then make them out on the mats or even worse, out on the streets.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I prefer to rely on my strength and relfexes and overall striking technique rather than play a logic game on the floor

Two things, we always tell fighters not to rely on strength, that can be matched and then some, techniques, technique, technique! The other thing is that it's not a logic game at all, it's a game of chess and that's the fun of it, it's why we enjoy playing. :)

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
Two things, we always tell fighters not to rely on strength, that can be matched and then some, techniques, technique, technique! The other thing is that it's not a logic game at all, it's a game of chess and that's the fun of it, it's why we enjoy playing. :)

Does it ever get more enjoyable? I am very um, I don't know how to say this, anti being touched by other people. So I don't enjoy doing it, but I been doing it because it's a part of Judo and is important for me to be a well rounded fighter.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Does it ever get more enjoyable? I am very um, I don't know how to say this, anti being touched by other people. So I don't enjoy doing it, but I been doing it because it's a part of Judo and is important for me to be a well rounded fighter.
I think a total lack of panic can be happiness, or there about. :)

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score

I found an example of what I was talking about. This often is down to me and it just annoys me, this is what I mean by opportune moment for the elbows and knees. Thank you jowga wolf for finding it. I normally elbow and knee them in this position or attempt a tachi waza.

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I prefer to rely on my strength and relfexes and overall striking technique rather than play a logic game on the floor. I know I am less experienced than you guys here, if I ever come off as sounding like a know it all I do apologize for that. I was just trying to make it clear that I did do it before and the reason why I argue is so I can learn.

There is a lot of strategy and logic in stand up fighting too. If you rely on strength, speed, reflexes, etc in any aspect of martial arts I'd say you are doing it wrong. Being able to defeat a stronger, faster, bigger person through technique and strategy is really what this game is all about. Conditioning is important, but so is strategy. There is a good reason top pro's do detailed studies of their opponents before getting in the ring and seek out top coaches known for ring strategy.

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
There is a lot of strategy and logic in stand up fighting too. If you rely on strength, speed, reflexes, etc in any aspect of martial arts I'd say you are doing it wrong. Being able to defeat a stronger, faster, bigger person through technique and strategy is really what this game is all about. Conditioning is important, but so is strategy. There is a good reason top pro's do detailed studies of their opponents before getting in the ring and seek out top coaches known for ring strategy.

Well of course there is thought on it. I'm not flailing around like one of these http://i.imgur.com/uoke9w5.jpg

I'm saying when it comes to stand up my athleticism and strenght are typically enough to get me by combined with my kenpo experience. A lot of it might come from my weight lifting, I noticed my strikes have much more force behind them now that I am 60 pounds heavier.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I did this to the top of the guys skull. Not the back of his neck because it is sparring and I don't want to hurt anyone. I did it as I lowered my center to make it more difficult for him to get my legs. I never kneed them in the face because again, it's sparring and that would be too cruel to do that to your sparring partner.

I don't know everyone's background but some of these guys are bjj guys and Judo guys. I rarely spar against a "wrestler" so to speak outside of the more common place grappling martial arts. A lot of them have a hard time getting a hold on me because I learned how to deal with it, I am not the best at it and I am 100% positive a more experienced person than I will take me to the floor.

But these individuals did not, it worked for me because I guess I see it coming. They make it obvious and normally eat side kick or I just pivot around them. It could be as you said. Maybe they are bad or maybe not as experienced. I was told though to make it as risky as possible for the grappler to get in close, and if he does know what to do about it.

When it does go to the floor I get choked and have no shame in tapping, but not everytime since I been getting better and better at it enough to get back up off the floor. Grappling is really more of a puzzle game, it's a lot of mind games and being several steps ahead which is why I don't like it as much.

I would rather make mistakes here on the forum and be corrected then make them out on the mats or even worse, out on the streets.

Brother IronBear, it would help you in your goal, which is to teach, by studying the logic game. And the subtleties of technique. When you teach, most of the people that will come to you will not have your strength nor your will. But you have to help them as much as you help a strong young man like yourself. Not because it's just good business, but because it's right and you're going to want to help them.

I'll bet you can do it, too.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does it ever get more enjoyable?

Oh I love it! My personal space is tiny so I don't mind people getting close at all, it's also easier for me to defend myself if people come close, drunks always do lol.

this is what I mean by opportune moment for the elbows and knees.

The problem is that fighters don't always see what spectators or even their corners see, they also get caught up in the moment and miss opportunities. Fighters while they have tactics etc also are adrenaline fuelled at this point, the inexperienced ones often lose their focus and react rather than think. It's very easy to criticise as a spectator lol, much harder to actually do. You are watching the video in the cold light of day, the fighters are in the cage in the moment.