Eye contact

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Is that all there is? is teenagers here? If so is there a adult section here? Thank you!!
He meant that you responded to a post from 2008, so the post itself is a teenager.

I must agree with Dirty Dog. I will also say that if you can identify the change in a person's pupil size while you're sparring them, you must have much better eyes than I do.

Watch the center. The eyes lie. Movement starts in the hips.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is that all there is? is teenagers here? If so is there a adult section here? Thank you!!
The post you're replying to was 13 years old. A teenager. And the story you related was cute and entertaining, but factually incorrect.

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In Japanese swordmanship, it is suggested that one should use ‘enzan no metsuke’, (as if looking at distant mountains) when looking at a potential enemy, thus encompassing the whole. This is because the peripheral retina is very good at detecting movement and once that movement has been registered, it’s connections to the superior colliculus (in the tectum of the midbrain) will reflexly swing the eyes around to foveate the are that is moving for full-resolution vision!

Have you ever been lying on you sofa, in the cooling autumn and almost subconsciously, noticed scuttling in the periphery of ones vision, then directly seen it to be a spider, leap up at lightning speed and scream like a little girl? That is ones superior colliculus in action and it’s very quick!

I’ve…ahem…never done that 😑👶🏽

(copied over from a very similar thread)

Latest Discussions