Sparring

meth18au

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I know this has probably been bought up millions of times, but I wanted to start a new thread Re: Sparring sessions! How are your sparring session structured during class? How do you tend to spar? How much contact do you use? Do you use protection? If so what type? Just curious as to how everyone approaches this crucial element to our training!!!

My main reason for posting is this: In class we do light sparring with no protection, and it is a little more controlled. It is a good chance to work on timing, speed and great for fine skill building. We also spar with gloves, mouthgard and shin pads. With much more contact. The amount of contact varies, depending on who you spar with and their own (and your own) comfort levels. I also have a few mates whom I try to have a sparring session with once every fortnight. We wear the same protection as mentioned above, however we go balls to the wall. I'd call it full contact, with some protection. I really get benefits from all 3 different types of sparring I do (even though I type this with a black eye after tonight's hard session). My personal opinion is that when I do my fortnightly session, at such high intensity, with higher levels of discomfort involved, it really tests my skills. I find myself having to focus, and stay present, not let the emotional state dictate to me what my bodily actions would be. What are peoples opinions on high pressure training like this?

Look forward to hearing everybody's experiences....

Adam

:)

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think you need a mix of all contact levels to really get the most benefit as you get different benefits from training in different ways.

Hard contact is important IMO, but it's not for everyone. But if someone wants to fight, or push temselves and see what they are made of, then they will get a lot out of it (including bruises :D)

However if all you are doing is going all out you will make quick gains and then plateau, it's hard to experiment and work technique when someone is trying to give you a nose job.

Richard Harris

White Belt
Reaction score
Hi, I enjoyed the subect matter binging talked about so much I wanted to comment. You guys are on the right track with your sparring techniques. It is always a challange to keep in mind the reality of combat in your training without injuring your training partners and students. The ability to go strong allows you to do this important factor well, however, just remeber that injuries take time to heal and slow your advancing skill levels. I find that once you obtain the ability to go full speed and full contact that it is easier to keep the realism without the stinging blows.
Good luck with your endevors.

Richard Harris-AL Bujinkan

USP45CT

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
In our classes we typically do light sparring in every class using no protection except gloves and just kind of walking through the motions. 3 times a week we do harder standup sparring using mouthguards, gloves, and shin pads. We structure them as 3 rounds of 7 minutes and we just spar throwing kicks, punches, and knees, but still omit elbows. We work only standup including the clinch and our instructor hovers around us giving criticism and praise.

OP
meth18au

meth18au

Blue Belt
Reaction score
In our classes we typically do light sparring in every class using no protection except gloves and just kind of walking through the motions. 3 times a week we do harder standup sparring using mouthguards, gloves, and shin pads. We structure them as 3 rounds of 7 minutes and we just spar throwing kicks, punches, and knees, but still omit elbows. We work only standup including the clinch and our instructor hovers around us giving criticism and praise.

Sounds similar to how we do it, except we usually do 5-7 x 3 minute rounds. I definitely need the shinpads when hard sparring- otherwise the damage keeps me away from training for too long.

All this talk of hard sparring has made me impatient for the arrival of Friday!!!!

;)

Thunder Foot

Brown Belt
Reaction score
i think its a good idea. You need to move full speed or near so every now and then to really understand your ability and reactions. My advice to you would be to tape these matches (if you dont compete Muay Thai), watch them, and reflect on your mistakes and missed opportunities. Then impliment those things in your slower tempo sessions. Its a great tool.

BUT I also think that you should ask your Kru if he/she can supervise you going harder than normal at your gym. This might be a bit more beneficial than you trying to understand what you should be doing in there.

OP
meth18au

meth18au

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I always say I want to tape myself, but I never get around to it. It'd be awesome to see yourself train. Have you done it yourself? I might give it a go.

Zero

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
ThunderFoot's right on the taping of training and competition fights. My trainer used to tape me fighting and also in the gym.

This is not only beneficial to iron out technique issues and perfect throwing punches and kicks but you'd be surprised how helpfull it can be in identifying your own weaknesses such as inadvertant facial contraction or certain body telegraphing or excess weight transitioning just before throwing a move - if you have any of these you can eradicate them when you are aware of them which leads to being a much better fighter.

This is a great tool and lot of serious and pro fighters use it fully.

Latest Discussions