Excuse Me!

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
well, they had to on-up the original Pawn Stars...the Vegas bunch.
They are actually quiet funny - at times. But it has t be more extreme than that, always...and top that other guy, always.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I quite like watching Cash Cab, it's on at five in the morning, just about when we've come back in and are getting ready for shift change. For American's infomation 'the full monty' doesn't mean getting naked, it means going the whole way on something, ie if you are having breakfast have the full monty...everything in a full English ( bacon, eggs, sausage, fried bread, beans, tomatoes, mushrooms, black pudding etc etc) Getting naked was given as the correct answer however so American may now have the wrong idea. Many of the questions we can't answer as they are purely American, but it's quite a cool programme for that time of the morning lol!

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I quite like watching Cash Cab, it's on at five in the morning, just about when we've come back in and are getting ready for shift change. For American's infomation 'the full monty' doesn't mean getting naked, it means going the whole way on something, ie if you are having breakfast have the full monty...everything in a full English ( bacon, eggs, sausage, fried bread, beans, tomatoes, mushrooms, black pudding etc etc) Getting naked was given as the correct answer however so American may now have the wrong idea. Many of the questions we can't answer as they are purely American, but it's quite a cool programme for that time of the morning lol!

LOL

I am right now watching it, and oh hilarity, a guy with English accent is in it! :lol:

celtic_crippler

Senior Master
Reaction score
Doesn't really surprise me, OT - indeed I am actually happy to hear it as the show is not a very good advert for the American Way at all :lol:.

The problem with the mistreatment of young girls tho' is a very real one; it's not an exaggeration to call it slavery. As far as I can tell it grew up in the gangs and has spread out from there like an infection. What to do about it is a whole other problem.

No, it actually is. Americans, on the whole, are pretty much dumber than a bag of hammers. We're supposedly one of a few 1st World Nations but yet seriously lag behind so many other nations in academics; horribly behind. No Child Left Behind my big, hairy, ....

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
No, it actually is. Americans, on the whole, are pretty much dumber than a bag of hammers. We're supposedly one of a few 1st World Nations but yet seriously lag behind so many other nations in academics; horribly behind. No Child Left Behind my big, hairy, ....

I'd change the word Americans to people. People worldwide are surprisingly dumb.
A person may be intelligent, people are stupid.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd change the word Americans to people. People worldwide are surprisingly dumb.
A person may be intelligent, people are stupid.

That's a generalisation unless of course you've been to every country and meet everyone? It's quite surprising how smart people are and how patronising it is to assume that people outside your own country are stupid.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
On behalf of every human being born with a penis, I'd like to appologise for this butt nugget and offer my personal assurance that he is NOT typical of us.
We may think with our penis, but most of us don't act like one.
That girl is in a mental place where that is what makes her comfortable. These people find each other and make more. :)

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
That's a generalisation unless of course you've been to every country and meet everyone? It's quite surprising how smart people are and how patronising it is to assume that people outside your own country are stupid.
Wow, sometimes I find myself agreeing with you. :) :) (That deserves two smileys)

OP
Sukerkin

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

I think you misunderstood the sentiment of the phrase, Tez. A person in and of themselves can be intelligent and educated; people en masse, however, not so much.

Axiom: IQ = α * (1/Crowd_Size) where Alpha {α} is the intelligence of any given member of the crowd :D

Uncle

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I think you misunderstood the sentiment of the phrase, Tez. A person in and of themselves can be intelligent and educated; people en masse, however, not so much.

Axiom: IQ = α * (1/Crowd_Size) where Alpha {α} is the intelligence of any given member of the crowd :D

Yep. Just like individuals are generally sane, but people are scared, dumb, pack animals.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I understood perfectly well I'm afraid, it's a phrase that individuals use to make themselves feel superior to those they consider sheep. It's something people trot out whenever they want to disparage those 'under' them, it's pure snobbery.

OP
Sukerkin

Sukerkin

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I would have to say that, as far as I know, that is an incorrect interpretation - you may know people who use the phrase that way but that is not what it is supposed to mean; it's derivation is a comment on the psychology and behaviour of crowds rather than some sort of sneer at an individual.

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
His behavior is why he got on TV and is now getting Youtube hits and people around the world are talking about him. Lots of people crave this sort of fame. I'm sorry I watched the video and possibly contributed to the problem.

Although, what would be funny is if his girlfriend talked him in to acting like that in front of the camera to increase their chances of making the show.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would have to say that, as far as I know, that is an incorrect interpretation - you may know people who use the phrase that way but that is not what it is supposed to mean; it's derivation is a comment on the psychology and behaviour of crowds rather than some sort of sneer at an individual.

It's an individual sneering at the people, it's the sort of thing that you find posted on Facebook. People in crowds aren't stupid, there is often a pattern to the way they behave but stupid it's not. I've faced 'crowds, well mobs before and believe me they really aren't stupid. People in a crowd can work well together as they did yesterday saving the baby from the harbour, working together they saved his life, there's plenty of evidence to show that people don't lose their brains when in a crowd.
The person who refers to others as 'sheeple' and goes on about crowds ie people being stupid is invariably trying to show they are 'individuals' and above behaving as they assume a crowd would act. They talk about 'others' believing and being fooled by governmentss etc indicating they of course aren't so stupid however it's a fallacy that the people are being fooled by anything, it's an assumption made by the individual who is telling us he considers himself superior to the masses.

http://www.dailypaul.com/194794/not...sheeple-unwashed-masses-or-any-of-those-terms

OP
Sukerkin

Sukerkin

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm just trying to tell you, as far as I know, what the phrase actually means in the context it was originated (which, altho' it sounds like recycled Twain, is "Men In Black" I think :D).

People don't lose their intelligence when they are in a crowd, what happens is that the negotiation of 'higher' morality and conscious agreement is eroded the larger the crowd gets so that 'it', rather than the individual, comes to control at least some of their actions. A side effect of this is that a less-sensible (more illegal, more destructive) course of action becomes more likely as the usual inhibitors to such behaviour are suppressed.

But I'm guessing you already know this given your job.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm just trying to tell you, as far as I know, what the phrase actually means in the context it was originated (which, altho' it sounds like recycled Twain, is "Men In Black" I think :D).

People don't lose their intelligence when they are in a crowd, what happens is that the negotiation of 'higher' morality and conscious agreement is eroded the larger the crowd gets so that 'it', rather than the individual, comes to control at least some of their actions. A side effect of this is that a less-sensible (more illegal, more destructive) course of action becomes more likely as the usual inhibitors to such behaviour are suppressed.

But I'm guessing you already know this given your job.

I know what it's supposed to mean, I did psychology at uni but what annoys me is when people use it as a put down for 'people' and to show themselves as being superior which invariably how it's used on the internet. I've seen it used in several threads here now and every time it's meant as a put down against people who don't agree with the user of the phrase. It seems far easier to glibly call someone a 'sheeple' for believing in something than actually argue it out.
However there is a lot of new research out about crowd behaviour which shows that the phrase is seriously outdated.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/23/magazine/crowds-are-not-people-my-friend.html?_r=0

"Take, for example, the effect fear has on a crowd. Common sense — which is to say, the Le Bon-influenced myths you’ve been steeped in since high school — would suggest that a panicked crowd loses all semblance of rationality, charging madly and trampling anyone who doesn’t keep up. But despite individual instances that come to mind — the tragic Who concert in Cincinnati in 1979, say — studies since the early 1980s have shown that groups of people generally don’t move as a collective front, and they aren’t all crazed with terror, even in terrifying situations. On Sept. 11, for instance, large numbers of people organized themselves into a quick, careful and efficient evacuation of the World Trade Center towers. They knew one another, so they discussed plans, they made decisions, they behaved rationally and independently. "

there's some interesting comments from this researcher on here.
http://dontpaniccorrectingmythsaboutthecrowd.blogspot.co.uk/2012_07_01_archive.html

OP
Sukerkin

Sukerkin

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
To me, 'sheeple' and the phrase in question are different things - but that's just my view. If you want to be right, you have my permission :p :angel:. I stopped giving a **** about a week ago.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
To me, 'sheeple' and the phrase in question are different things - but that's just my view. If you want to be right, you have my permission :p :angel:. I stopped giving a **** about a week ago.

[yt]DFG9dwolo3Q[/yt]

?

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm just tired of people wheeling out the 'I'm on the Right so I must be right' card and bringing all that supposedly psychological stuff out about people being stupid but a person isn't, of course a person can be stupid, we all know 'a person' who is. It's just more inane internet waffling.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score

Or as the saying goes, "none of us is as dumb as all of us." :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Latest Discussions