Everyones got one

silatman

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Cmon people I want to know what is your favorite technique?

It doesnt have to be the most effective just the one that brings a smile to your face everytime you do it :ultracool

Mine would have to be the rear forearm choke, when you snap that on and you hear that gurgle....ahhhh does it for me.

VSanhodo

Green Belt
Reaction score
Honest go goodness, I dont. I try to not have a favorite, I feel if you do it not only is a strength but a hugh weakness. So, my answer is simply the one that works at the time is my favorite. Heck there have been times when running was my favorite technique or baseball bat or 9mm and yes on occasion I even have had to fight. I cant say I had a favorite even then, I just let it roll and let things happen and was usually ok at the end.

Thanks

San

OP
S

silatman

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I'm sorry I just dont believe you.
Obviously the one that woks at the time is the best one but Im not talking real life here. I mean at the dojo or when your training.
I cant believe that you get the same enjoyment out of practicing your stepping as you do putting on an arm bar or beating the hell out of a bag, pad or partner with a kali stick.
Maybe you could think realhard and repost.

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
VSanhodo said:
Honest go goodness, I dont. I try to not have a favorite, I feel if you do it not only is a strength but a hugh weakness. So, my answer is simply the one that works at the time is my favorite. Heck there have been times when running was my favorite technique or baseball bat or 9mm and yes on occasion I even have had to fight. I cant say I had a favorite even then, I just let it roll and let things happen and was usually ok at the end.

Thanks

San
I agree. I like to focus on perfecting one thing at a time, but once I feel I have it, I change to something else. It's too easy to get caught up into a certain thing because it's your best. Even if it's not the best choice for a given situation. I prefer to work on what I'm not that good at because my goal is to be diverse enough for it not to matter.

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
My favorite technique is the one that works.

Seriously, if I throw a roundhouse and it gets head high and my hups come around with a snap and I hit the target with a snap, that's a sense of 'yeah!'. But the same with a sidekick or a back fist or whatever. When I'm doing takedowns and joint manipulations and my opponent goes down hard and fast under my control, that's my favorite technique

A techniques executed when it just falls together and works is a lot of fun, a technique that a I don't do well...ugh.

ed-swckf

Black Belt
Reaction score
silatman said:

It doesnt have to be the most effective just the one that brings a smile to your face everytime you do it :ultracool

Mine would have to be the rear forearm choke, when you snap that on and you hear that gurgle....ahhhh does it for me.
hit them. Thats my fave.

VSanhodo

Green Belt
Reaction score
silatman said:
I'm sorry I just dont believe you.
Obviously the one that woks at the time is the best one but Im not talking real life here. I mean at the dojo or when your training.
I cant believe that you get the same enjoyment out of practicing your stepping as you do putting on an arm bar or beating the hell out of a bag, pad or partner with a kali stick.
Maybe you could think realhard and repost.

hmmmmmmmmmm ok let me think Reeeeeeaaallllll HARd Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, Ok Ive thought about and your right and I was wrong when I was first in martial arts some 36 years ago I use to really rely on my side kick, rev punch combo. But now that Ive gotten a little older (Note how I said a little) and I hope somewhat wiser, I would have to say I put ofrth every effort to simply allow whatever happens to happen. Now that is not saying I dont do some things worse or better than others but honestly I truly try to not have a favorite. I find those ppl who do have favorites are usually thinking how or what do I have to do to get my favorite technique to work. While they are thinking I hopefully and acting and reacting. Like I said I go through great pains to try to not have a favorite. I am eft handed and owrk on my right side 2 - 3 x more than I do my left just to help me have better balance and to not favor one side. I have even gone os far as to try and learn to write with both hands. By the way so far that has not gone to well, but Im sure over the years it will get better.
I am not trying to avoid your question and feel I am giving you an honest answer to your question. Your welcome to have a favorite its ok by me. I simply choose to put ofrth every effort to not have a weakness by having a favorite.

Thanks

San

VSanhodo

Green Belt
Reaction score
Silatman

I forgot to ask with whom do you study Silat and under what orginazation? I have several friends in the Silat community. I personally I have only studied Silat in a seminar forum and we both know thats not really studying the system. I know Guru J. miller, Vic Dethouras and Guru Paul DeThouras and of course Cliff Stewart. Let me know as I am always interested i learning more about this system.
Thanks again

San

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
For a long time when I first started out, it was the roundhouse kick. I used it constantly.

Now it isn't one technique, but I might have a favorite approach and a cluster of techniques that go with it--I like to get in and grab my opponent, then either grapple him to the ground or knee and elbow him until it's over.

YouAgain

Green Belt
Reaction score
Whilst grappling choking them out with my legs in a scissor action.

Or a simple palm to the head.

Shu2jack

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I love the "verbally defuse the situation" technique. It has safely ended many conflicts that easily could've turned violent for me.

Sin

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
for me it's a combo...
Side kick back kick round house hook kick...repeat as needed

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
Same here, I do tend to throw a set of combinations. One I use a lot is roundhouse kick into spinning back kick. It's natural to do, especially, if they evade back on the roundhouse. But I have to do it fast or they just keep backing up. I'll abandon it if it isn't working against a given opponent.

Problem with having a favorite technique is that it may play into someone else's favorite defense. Every opponent is different.

Eldritch Knight

Blue Belt
Reaction score
For me it's the standard sidekick. My years of TKD ingrained that into me and I just love connecting with it. I've been trying my best to get out of the habit of overusing it, though, and am working on balancing my kicks out with hand strikes.

Sam

Senior Master
Reaction score
you guys really know how to suck the fun out of a topic.

Stop trying to be the all knowing martial arts masters of the universe -

Yes, we KNOW that you shouldnt rely on one kind of technique
we KNOW that you should do the technique that best fits the situation...

But I do have sympathy for you if deep down inside you dont have a few techniques that make you giggle on the inside when you practice them. Martial arts are fun! for me anyway - I wouldnt be at the studio 6 days a week if I didnt enjoy every minute.

I think too many people here are trying too hard - to sound enlightened, to come across as a master, I don't know. But relax, take your shoes off! Have a little fun!

I don't know, maybe some of you actually have dis-allowed yourself to enjoy some techniques more than others. If this is you, I have much sympathy for you.

I'll probably be dinged for this, but screw it.

And now, back on topic, to answer the question:

I have many favorites. Here are three of them, copied from my notes.

Crash of the Eagle
This technique is used on a person who gets you in a strangle hold from behind. Do a dancer step with your right foot and bring your right arm up as you turn to your attacker to force their arms off of you. Elbow them in the chin with the hand that is still up, back fist them in the nose, chop the artery on the right of their neck, then the left, claw out their eyes, and turn and hammer fist them in the groin.

Spinning From the Sun
For when someone comes at you with a club to hit you over the head. Step towards them, and with your right hand over your left, block up. Grab their arm, sweep down, having them hit their own knee with the club. Step through behind them, take the club from them, still holding their arm hit them above the elbow with it, kick them in the face, and beat them with the club.

Snapping Twig
Snapping twig is used against a person who grabs the collar of your shirt, but has really long arms so you don’t want to use lever on them. Step back with your left foot, and with your left hand at their wrist and your right hand above their elbow, deliver a smack with the heels of your hands. With your right hand, sweep their arm down off you. Do a knuckle rake from their eye diagonally down their face. Step in with your right foot, elbow smash their head wit your right elbow and left hand, and turn and hammer fist to the groin with your right hand.

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
Samantha said:
you guys really know how to suck the fun out of a topic.

Stop trying to be the all knowing martial arts masters of the universe -

But I do have sympathy for you if deep down inside you dont have a few techniques that make you giggle on the inside when you practice them. Martial arts are fun! for me anyway - I wouldnt be at the studio 6 days a week if I didnt enjoy every minute.

I still don't have a favorite technique. But then I hate being asked, "What is your favorite book?" (It's Jem and the Holograms: Mischief Makers, but I digress...) I just don't think like that. Not about being Yoda, not about giving the "correct" answer. It's just...

"Oh maaaaann... The reverse punch is sweeeet! Call me reverse punch king!"

Can't do it. Doesn't make a whole lot of sense IMO. Doesn't stand on its own. Few moves do. Like picking a favorite movie, book, three media related objects to take with you if you get stranded on a remote island etc. Any title I'd give you wouldn't really be my favorite. At best it'd be a list or answer cobbled together by frequency of use, or whatever came to mind. Personally, I don't like having to answer questions that have no good answer.

mj-hi-yah

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We need to respect the fact that some people may not have a favorite technique. :asian: I know for me it has changed as I've grown in knowledge and experience, although I have, and have had, a lot of favorites. I've always liked Arching Blades and Bow of Compulsion, Flight to Freedom and a bunch more, and I never liked the technique Sleeper until recently, and now I love Sleeper, because I learned a more effective way of doing that technique so now I can make the biggest guy in my school tap out on that. Thanks Atomic Bob! It's awesome! :)

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
I think too many people here are trying too hard - to sound enlightened, to come across as a master, I don't know. But relax, take your shoes off! Have a little fun

As I've mentioned before in a few sparring threads in the TKD forum, I'm pretty new at all this so I don't even know really what I can do well or not, much less what I like to do. Everytime I do something well, I like it, when I don't, I don't. I have some things that work better against some of my sparring partners than others, so I just like what works.

It's like asking musicians "what's your favorite scale, what's yourfavorite mode?" Most just don't think like that.

Spinning From the Sun

For what it's worth, we do something similar, but...assuming they attack with the right hand, if your left hand is in front of your right when you block, you can slide the hand down and apply upward pressure with the ridge-hand edge of your hand up into the tricept as you pull down with the left hand. Very painful and makes them want to bend their arm for you as you push it behind them

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
silatman said:

Depends...

Self-Defence
1. Run
2. Run
3. Failing 1 & 2, palm heel strikes, low level kicks, knife edge strikes.

Sparring
1. Side kick
2. Boxer's jab
3. Right cross

I personally feel that for self-defence, at least, having a few favourite, well practiced techniques is great. If avoidance or escape fail, you don't want even the instant of hesitation that can come from selecting from among a dozen possible techniques under the stress of a real life attack.