Ever lost in rank?

Last Fearner

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
what if tomorrow you started training under a Sandan or Yondan who didn't practice the art for 10 years. Would you fully trust what he teaches you...

Here is where I believe the confusion comes in. Rank is about learning the art, improving one's personal technical skills, and conducting one's self in an honorable fashion. While a minimum rank might be a prerequisite by an instructor or organization in order to teach, Rank does not translate to being an "Instructor."

So many non-Marital Artists, novice, and wayward schools have taken to this notion that Black Belt means you are qualified to teach. As a Master Instructor, I am trained to teach Black Belts how to teach. I can teach virtually anyone how to do it. Some will be better than others, and for some it comes naturally. However, it is a specific skill, and it is separate from the curriculum required for rank promotion.

Charyuop, you asked Iceman, "what if tomorrow you started training under a Sandan or Yondan who didn't practice the art for 10 years?" I would ask, why would anyone be training under this black belt who has not trained in 10 years? Why would this person be teaching?

Wouldn't you prefere that the San/Yondan would be retested to make sure he teaches you the real Art and maybe he doesn't teach you wrong?.

Precisely! That is why he or she should be "retested" for their teaching credentials according to the instructor certification guidelines required by his/her seniors. This has nothing to do with the person's Dan rank. They can remain a Sam Dan or Sa Dan student and continue to train without being a teacher.

Taking away the Dan shouldn't be taken as personla offense..

Well, it is "personal!" There is no way around that. You are suggesting someone relinquish an honor and an achievement that was rightfully earned - - it is theirs to keep. Although I would find the request offensive, I would not be offended because it simply should not be done, in my opinion.

Possessing a Black Belt means you are gonna teach your knowledge to others,.

I have already addressed that, and others here have also. Many Black Belts do not teach. Most will be class seniors, and some will become assistant instructors where they are helping to guide students under the supervision of a qualified teacher. Even then, there are usually special seminars, or classes designed to help them learn how to be a good class senior.

but if the knowledge is temporary gone what is the meaning of teaching, thus of the Black Belt?.

First of all, that is exactly the right question you should be asking, "what is the meaning of the Black Belt?" If you answer that, then you might see the clear distinction between rank, and teaching, and it might lead to further answer "what is the meaning of teaching?"

Secondly, if Martial Art knowledge is imparted properly in the first place, it becomes more like releasing the knowledge that was already within the student. It is like learning to swim, or ride a bike. Once you have learned, you never forget. You might get rusty at it, and take a few days to get your coordination back, but the knowledge is still there. I have not ridden a bicycle in several years, but I can still teach someone else how to do it. I have not been swimming like I did when I was younger, but I can still teach someone else how not to drown.

I can go buy tomorrow a Balck Belt and it would have the same value of the Black Belt who stayed away for 10 years from the Art, neither one of us (with different degrees of course) would be fit to teach the Art.

Then anyone in this predicament should not teach. Simply be the student, at whatever rank you last achieved. Although, I disagree that a person who simply goes out and buys the material Black Belt to wrap around their waist has the same value as one who has learned what a Black Belt means through trials and tribulations, has been awarded the certification, and presented a Black Belt by a qualified Master Instructor regardless of how long they have been absent from training.

I hope you don't mind me interjecting my opinions here. Iceman can answer for himself if he disagrees or has more to add.

CM D.J. Eisenhart

IWishToLearn

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I know of several people who have had their dan rank "stripped." Which really makes no sense to me - all it literally translates to is that whomever is "stripped" is not recognized by their original issuing party to be part of his/her lineage any longer. It's ludicrous though since short of bashing someone repeatedly in the head and causing brain damage (or some reasonable facsimile thereof) - there isn't any way of removing the knowledge that was gained.

I agree with LF's approach to teaching - and my school has a similar policy. We have a teaching credential which must be renewed every year to ensure all instructors stay current with their material and receive any updates that have been developed.

Much as I wouldn't let a brain surgeon who hasn't been active for a while operate on me first - neither would I let a teacher who has been inactive be hypercritical of what I was doing in the Arts, either. Sure - they'll remember quite a bit - but without practicing, the longer you go, the more you lose.

Latest Discussions