Even Spider-Man is morally wrong...

ed-swckf

Black Belt
Reaction score
heretic888 said:
For some reason, I'm suddenly reminded of the movie Minority Report. ;)
I've still not seen it, but i've heard about it and thought the same thing as i typed it.

heretic888 said:
Even then, this assumes one subscribes to a paradigm of genetic determinism. I don't.
Yeah but it could make a good superhero comic

heretic888 said:
No, it certainly doesn't.
If it did would you go for it?

heretic888 said:
Personally, I don't think people should be put to death at all if it can be avoided. But, that's just me.
I understand holding enough disdain for rapists and wanting them dead for closure or whatever reason, but ultimately i feel i would agree with you but i'm not 100% sure and that is heavily tainted by a socially ingrained moral understanding that it is wrong and its hard to egineer my thoughts to ignore the consequences. Of course that relates more to them being put to death by my own judgement, if it were done through a court of law resulting in a death penalty then i would have different feelings although i would still question it.

heretic888

Senior Master
Reaction score
ed-swckf said:
If it did would you go for it?

No, I wouldn't.

There are a number of "solutions" that, while morally repugnant, could "stop" or "prevent" specific crimes from happening altogether. That doesn't make them viable options, however.

ed-swckf said:
I understand holding enough disdain for rapists and wanting them dead for closure or whatever reason, but ultimately i feel i would agree with you but i'm not 100% sure and that is heavily tainted by a socially ingrained moral understanding that it is wrong and its hard to egineer my thoughts to ignore the consequences. Of course that relates more to them being put to death by my own judgement, if it were done through a court of law resulting in a death penalty then i would have different feelings although i would still question it.

Um, okay.

The point I was making, regardless of whether it is culturally relative or not, is that I don't feel we should take the lives of other human beings (against their own will, anyway) if it can at all be avoided. Rather, I think the punitive system in a rational society should be more dedicated to preventing such behavior in the future rather than doling out "punishment".

White Fox

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I feel that violence is in itself neutral. So it can be good or bad depending on the situation. I mean if we didn't have cops ( even though I know some are bad) then so many bad dudes like crack heads, drug dealers, etc would be able to tourment people unchecked.

But the violence going on in Eastern Europe Is bad becuase it is harmful, it is based on ethnic hatred. And innocents like women and children are being raped and blown away. That is violence used in a bad way.

So violence is neutral what matters is the context it is used in. dig it!

On the death penality when I was going to this buddist temple one girl there told me that when someone kills another person they accumulate a karmic debt for that. But if they get the death penality then the debt is made even. But if they don't get it than they will have to suffer the reaction for that act worse than getting the penality.