Euthanasia Coaster...

OP
Jenna

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I think the Romans had a healthier relationship with death and parties...
Do you think our fear of death as a subject matter is what gives rise to these unusual ideas such as this death coaster?

I wonder is the New Orleans model for celebratory funerals a way to hide this fear in an affectation of joy?

What do you think?

OP
Jenna

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
It's my life, I try to live the way I want. Can't see changing tactics for death.
Do you think it comes down to being in control?

It is your life that is true. The way you act and react is your choice and nobody else's. At the same time, your life has been filled with external impetus and events outside of your ability to control. You had no control over your birth or your upbringing and schooling, and as an adult many things have been put upon you and yet you have dealt with them all. Can I ask please why do you think your death must be controlled? Thank you.

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dieing is easy, it's the living that is hard.

I was home the other day and watched on HBO this program about “How to Die in Oregon,” which deals with physician-assisted suicide". It hit me hard watching these people hurting very badly and terminally Ill. Not wanting to go through the dieing process, this is what they decided to do.

The only way I could ever know what I personally would do, is to be presented with this decision in my life. I, have had friends die, and have watched them dwindle away from life with the peace that surpasses understanding, and it was right for them and their loved ones. Myself, not wanting to burden anyone, I feel that this option is right for some, but for me, I will take the stand to "wait and see".

Thank you for your post Wes. Can I ask please under what circumstances Wes do you think it is "right" to take one's own life?

It is in direct proportion to ones beliefs and faith,and how much they can cope. I don't want to minimize this subject in any way, but, each person is different. I have (4) examples in my life that are totally different and somewhat beyond my understanding.

(1) The strongest person I have ever known both physically and mentally took his own life for unknown reasons, leaving many wondering, why.

(2) A martial arts friend who in his last weeks said " bring it on" and fought until his death.

(3) A Christian man, very strong in his faith, who later in life contacted cancer, and died a testimony to his faith, God, and trust. ( Him and his wife were very close, and she also died within a year).

(4) The last is my mom, who at 94 years young, is still with us, although somewhat debilitated. With a very strong Catholic faith, who has prayed everyday of her life, and twice on Sunday. :) This one I question the most, because of her condition, I do ask myself, why, whats the point. But, I do enjoy her, everyday.........

Now, Jenna, back to your question.

Wes do you think it is "right" to take one's own life?

My answer.

I feel that this option is right for some.

For me.

I fancy myself a fighter, but no one can possibly know, until faced with this decision. The answer lies within each of us, and needs to be sought out daily...............

OP
Jenna

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
It is in direct proportion to ones beliefs and faith,and how much they can cope. I don't want to minimize this subject in any way, but, each person is different. I have (4) examples in my life that are totally different and somewhat beyond my understanding.

(1) The strongest person I have ever known both physically and mentally took his own life for unknown reasons, leaving many wondering, why.

I think taking one's life is the ultimate in egocentricity. I mean that not in a pejorative way and but to the extent that it is done from an wholly introspective viewpoint - and that is to say, generally without being armed with the full complement of evidence. I think though that that differs from euthanasia because the major cause of suicide is untreated (or often unrecognised) acute depression in which the victim is generally unaware and unable to step outside the cataclysm that has enveloped them whereas euthanasia is more often considered with full mental faculties and/or the ability to plan reasonably cogently.

Everyone is different in their self-prognoses. I worry that the problem is that those self-prognoses are perhaps not always accurate. Further, if I apply to myself a prognosis of 6 mth survival with my condition then with such assumption I condition myself and I have self-programmed to that very timescale. Even without timescale, I can program myself with positive or negative affirmations. This works.

(2) A martial arts friend who in his last weeks said " bring it on" and fought until his death.

AS you have mentioned with your friend, I also like the idea of fighting. I like the idea of utilising MA as a vehicle to do that very thing. I think sometimes that we can take a fight knowing we will be beat. Then again we can take a fight and admit we are beat at some point during the fight. And but we can also take a fight and establish a mind that will never countenance defeat. Even when our defeat is apparently foregone. I think this is the mark of many top boxers that I have admired lately and from previously. It is a conceit and an arrogance and but it also works.

(3) A Christian man, very strong in his faith, who later in life contacted cancer, and died a testimony to his faith, God, and trust. ( Him and his wife were very close, and she also died within a year).

And I am sorry that you have experienced such losses among your friends. That is difficult to adjust to and to fathom. I hope you have good friend and family support networks there.

(4) The last is my mom, who at 94 years young, is still with us, although somewhat debilitated. With a very strong Catholic faith, who has prayed everyday of her life, and twice on Sunday. :) This one I question the most, because of her condition, I do ask myself, why, whats the point. But, I do enjoy her, everyday.........
And regarding your mother, I wonder why you ask about the point?

Sometimes I wonder why must we categorise everything and so we see this roller coaster experiment using as a fuel and fodder life itself. I wonder it is a matter of "point" Wes? Is there any way in which it could be a matter of always being of more value here than not here? If the value is not found then might it be the fault of the person looking and not the fault of the life being scrutinised? I do not know. I do not mean that to sound severe it is just how I get it and I am as guilty as anyone in participating in these valuations.

Now, Jenna, back to your question.

Wes do you think it is "right" to take one's own life?

My answer.

I feel that this option is right for some.

For me.

I fancy myself a fighter, but no one can possibly know, until faced with this decision. The answer lies within each of us, and needs to be sought out daily...............

I appreciate your wisdom and your insight. Thank you.

Latest Discussions