Eureka they figured it out – Damn Knee

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Not bad, 6 months 3 sets of x-rays, 1 MRI and 3 doctors later they figured it out

Torn Cartilage

The end of the month I meet with the latest Doctor to see what he wants to do and hopefully after that is all done I can be back training :bangahead: ….. ABOUT DAMN TIME!!! :tantrum: The weight gain has been rediculous :disgust: first the fractured heel then the damn knee, I have to get me back on a bike as soon as this knee is better.

But things WILL be different
icon6.gif
...... and I have (for the first time in years) seminars to go to this summer :supcool:. So it better DAMN well be healed by late spring.

grydth

Senior Master
Reaction score
This is indeed excellent news.... but remember to make a gradual return and to follow your doctors' orders.

blindsage

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Awesome! You must have hit some trees in front of them and scared a good diagnosis out of 'em.

Jade Tigress

RAWR
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thanks for the update Xue. Listen to the docs and recover quickly! Keep the upcoming seminars in mind when you're tempted to overdo it. :asian:

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Not bad, 6 months 3 sets of x-rays, 1 MRI and 3 doctors later they figured it out

Torn Cartilage

The end of the month I meet with the latest Doctor to see what he wants to do and hopefully after that is all done I can be back training :bangahead: ….. ABOUT DAMN TIME!!! :tantrum: The weight gain has been rediculous :disgust: first the fractured heel then the damn knee, I have to get me back on a bike as soon as this knee is better.

But things WILL be different
icon6.gif
...... and I have (for the first time in years) seminars to go to this summer :supcool:. So it better DAMN well be healed by late spring.

6 MONTHS?????? I was lucky to have my diagnosis in 3 days..I hear ya about the weight gain..I just get to the point of taking off all the weight I gained when I quit smoking, then they put me on meds that made the weight come back..3 months of PT and I was able to return to duty..

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
But I’ve been listening to the doctor for about 2 weeks now already that should be enough…. I mean what do they know anyway…. They have years of medical training and experience…where I have 8 credits of anatomy and physiology….. must… go… practice KNEE STRIKES!!!!! :D

Thanks everyone… I’m being good and listening to what they are saying. That :uhohh: and my wife has threatened to beat me if I don’t :eek: …. ever see Jet Li’s movie Kiss of the Dragon… she knows all those points :anic:… so I best listen :D

I do truly want to be ready for the seminars so I will be good. I have 2 Xingyiquan and 2 Yiquan seminars to go to this summer… they are short but I am going a bit loopy without trainnig so if I want to go I have to listen. I was going to go to another in May for Xingyi and Taoist Qigong but sadly I do not think I will make that one :(, and this from a guy who swore of seminars.

The end of this month I should know more, that is my next meetnig with the Doctor

6 MONTHS?????? I was lucky to have my diagnosis in 3 days..I hear ya about the weight gain..I just get to the point of taking off all the weight I gained when I quit smoking, then they put me on meds that made the weight come back..3 months of PT and I was able to return to duty..

Oh I forgot to mention that they drained it twice too :disgust:

My wife put me on a Chinese type diet… which is not really all that bad, unless I find myself at my parents house for dinner… then I get in BIG trouble :uhohh:. Basically I can eat whatever I want for breakfast and lunch but dinner is small and mostly vegetables and tofu… little or NO CARBS at dinner. This has seemed to stop the weight gain and I am hoping when I can exercise again the weight goes away.

Last edited:
OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
OK, I’m officially losing it...

I do not see the Doctor until next week to see what he wants to do, cortisone or surgery, but I feel like I have an electrical charge under my skin that wants to go do my taiji forms, long, fast, weapons, tuishou, silk reeling ANYTHING!!!!:tantrum:

Problem is that I am sitting here just reading about Taiji and I have been talking with my Sifu…..I am trying REALLY hard to be good and not do anything but it is getting really hard. I am about 2 seconds away from sitting at my desk and doing this :hb:

grydth

Senior Master
Reaction score
Why not try some Tai Chi without using your knee?

I've seen 2 different instructors who taught ways to do their forms sitting down, without the leg moves, for those with disabilities. One woman had despaired - just after beginning training she had fallen at home, suffering catastrophic damage to her knee and ankle. I know she was able to learn two shorter forms this way.

I once even saw a book entitled "Tai Chi in a Chair".....

While it is certainly not the workout you are used to, perhaps this will give you some sense of staying with the art, and may give some of the tranquility associated with Tai Chi.

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Why not try some Tai Chi without using your knee?

I've seen 2 different instructors who taught ways to do their forms sitting down, without the leg moves, for those with disabilities. One woman had despaired - just after beginning training she had fallen at home, suffering catastrophic damage to her knee and ankle. I know she was able to learn two shorter forms this way.

I once even saw a book entitled "Tai Chi in a Chair".....

While it is certainly not the workout you are used to, perhaps this will give you some sense of staying with the art, and may give some of the tranquility associated with Tai Chi.

Thanks, good idea and I may give something like that a try because you can only do this so long :hb: before you have a REAL BIG headache.... well I am off to get some Advil now :D

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Xue I am glad you finally found out the problem, I am hoping all goes well and that you heel real fast and can get back to those tree's...
icon10.gif

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
2 tears one small one a bit bigger.

Surgery, maybe

Basically at this point; buy an industrial strength knee brace and see if it will recover. If it does not then surgery, but at this time it is not recommended since it is getting better on its own…. slowly

The saga continues

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hey Xue,

Hang in there and no that some times these things do work themselves out. (ie. heal) When my knee blue out back in the nineties I thought for sure I was going to be having surgery. Instead I wore the big knee brace and then a sleeve after six months and eventually it became better and is now perfect! :)
I did train the whole time while I was injured as well though I had to be careful with what I was doing.

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
My family Doctor (also a martial artist) said that he felt that I could go back to training if I get the brace. He too has had to go this route in the past.

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
FINALLY!!!!

I get the rigid knee brace next week and with any luck I can be back to training by mid May early June

I also discovered I can get away with some light Yoga at the moment

Latest Discussions