Ethical Does Not Mean Less DEAD

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
PETA Killed 95 Percent of Adoptable Pets in its Care During 2008
EXCERPT FROM Center for Consumer Freedom
Posted On March 25, 2009

WASHINGTON DC – Today the nonprofit Center for Consumer Freedom (CCF) published documents online showing that People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA) killed 95 percent of the adoptable pets in its care during 2008. Despite years of public outrage over its euthanasia program, the animal rights group kills an average of 5.8 pets every day at its Norfolk, VA headquarters.

According to public records from the Virginia Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services, PETA killed 2,124 pets last year and placed only seven in adoptive homes. Since 1998, a total of 21,339 dogs and cats have died at the hands of PETA workers.

Despite having a $32 million budget, PETA does not operate an adoption shelter. PETA employees make no discernible effort to find homes for the thousands of pets they kill every year. Last year, the Center for Consumer Freedom petitioned Virginia’s State Veterinarian to reclassify PETA as a slaughterhouse.

CCF Research Director David Martosko said: “PETA hasn’t slowed down its hypocritical killing machine one bit, but it keeps browbeating the rest of society with a phony ‘animal rights’ message. What about the rights of the thousands of dogs, cats, puppies, and kittens that die in PETA’s headquarters building?”
>>>END EXCERPT>>>
Wow, just wow.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hm. Can't force people to adopt animals.

So ... it's more ethical in your opinion, then, to allow these animals to live free without homes and get run over by mooks like me, get tortured by kids, killers and other miscreants, and be hunted by free-roaming dogs and other predators?

Slow death by cancer ... quick death by injection ... hmmm ...which should I choose?

Archangel M

Senior Master
Reaction score
Oh come on. You cant tell me you don't see the irony in this?

shesulsa

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Irony sure ... beyond that? Not much.

shesulsa

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
What's really ironic is the title of the thread is ... not really wrong. Ethics don't equal life, after all, they are a set of abstract ideals consistently debated, massaged and ammended to appeal to the perceived truth of the day in question.

Yet, there is nothing at all wrong with what I said. Do you think Alzheimer's patients lead quality life? Is it ethical to allow them to live? Is it ethical to kill them outright?

Is it ethical to keep and feed animals which could be giving some person or family companionship, pleasure, love penned up in a cage for 10-15 years? Force people to adopt the little beasties? Clearly you can't force people to spay or neuter their animals unless they are adopted from the Humane Society, so this will always be a problem.

Hence, if euthanasia is not the ethical thing to do, what, then, is?

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It's not often that I will respond to such a 'slantedly' titled thread like this in the positive but those statistics are pretty damning, it has to be said.

I apologise to those who think differently but I hold PETA to be in the same mould as such groups as Greenpeace - they are both political organisations whose actual actvities and aims bear very little resemblance to their public face.

There are some organisations involved in 'animal welfare' who do actual work to that purpose, the RSPCA for one; sadly many such charities do not. That is the great shame of it, for the ones that are front offices for less 'pure' motivations queer the pitch for the genuine ones.

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Reaction score
Seems to me the "ethical" thing to do would be to butcher those animals, and provide meals for the poor......

.....and those of us who have a taste for cats and dogs! :lfao:

(all that good meat going to waste...it's unethical, I tell ya! :lol: )

jetboatdeath

Blue Belt
Reaction score
But for some reason me shooting a deer is wrong?
I know a guy here at work that would pay good money for some dog...

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Reaction score

Well, you know what they say: sell a man a dog, and he eats for a day. Teach a man to go to the animal shelter, get a puppy, club it over the head, gut, skin and cook it, and he'll eat for the rest of his life.....or until PETA catches him......:lfao:

Flea

Beating you all over those fries!
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I don't think the article is about the practice of euthanasia in general, but about the hypocrisy of one particular group. Here's an interesting comparison ... compared to PETA's euth rate of 95%, the Los Angeles County pound only euthanizes 35% last I read. A faceless bureaucracy in one of the world's largest metropoli, compared with a small-town operation that goes to extravagant lengths to spiff their animal-friendly image ... hm.

I wonder if PETA dropped their whole PR campaign, would their euth rate plummet? (kidding, of course.)

jarrod

Senior Master
Reaction score
i was a vegan for 2 years, & vegetarian for 6 years before that. i gave it up because i got tired of being hungry for fried chicken EVERY SINGLE DAY. anyway, i was never in PETA but my ex wife was active with them for the last couple years of our marriage. also, i worked at a local humane society for a year.

now, i never had a lot of respect for PETA. i find many of their methods dishonest & unethical. many of their positions are based on emotion, & they are just as pushy & judgmental as many religious fundamentalists can be.

that said, they get a bad wrap for a lot of stuff. the humane society i worked for had a 85% adopt rate (or a 15% kill rate) & was considered an exceptional HS in a very supportive community. neighboring adoption centers adopted out around 10%, often less. there are simply a lot of animals out there who need homes, & not that many people who are willing to give them homes.

now there are plenty of reasons criticize PETA. their not-so-loose affiliations with the Animal Liberation Front, the emotional manipulativeness of their propaganda, their refusal to acknowledge scientific studies that don't correlate with their beliefs, & on & on. but with this issue the simple fact is that people don't take care of the animals that we have spent thousands of years breeding to be dependent on us.

jf

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
But for some reason me shooting a deer is wrong?

Deer hunting is regulated for a reason. It's population control. We artificially regulate animal populations (by the number of permits, and heavy sentences for hunting without one). That keeps them from overpopulating there ecosphere, and then turning to us for food (invading crops, and eating your trash). PETA could make a similar argument for why they kill so many animals (quite a few people will re-abanden adopted animals), they could also make a similar argument to what Shesulsa said. A third argument (that they could make if they had differnit practices) is that quite a few animals have to be killed by the Humane Society because, while they are adoptable, they have been in the shelter too long.

Not that I advocate what PETA did. I thought they were nuts before.

shesulsa

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I love playing devil's advocate. Unfortunate it should annoy so many.

So ... raise your hand if you actually opened and read the documents linked to in the article? :wavey:

Now the article says they made no effort to adopt out any animals ... yet the documents used to support the article indicate, firstly, that some facilities did adopt animals out. They further show that the incredible majority of animals coming into their facilities were surrendered by the owners, many were returned to the owners and that numbers is almost always much larger than the number that were euthanized.

Look, I don't like PETA, but the whole paint-the-whole-town-with-a-single-color thing is just too old for me to swallow. Still.

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I gave up on Peta when they said people should be milking and drinking from human women.

What's that quote from Malcom in the Middle?

"Women are the Cows of People!"

Jade Tigress

RAWR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I did read the links. There are no-kill shelters all over the country that provide homes for pets for the duration of their lives if a home is not found. List. Obviously, I don't have time to look at every single shelter on this list, but the no-kill shelters in my area do not keep animals confined to pens for the duration of their lives at the shelter.

No kill shelters first rescue as many adoptable animals as they can that are going to be euthanized by animal control.

From this article, bold mine.

Since 1998, PETA has opted to “put down” 21,339 adoptable dogs, cats, puppies, and kittens instead of finding homes for them.
Hypocrites. I love animals, I hate PETA. PETA is all about the Big Green Weenie.

jarrod

Senior Master
Reaction score
the down side of no-kills is that when they're full (& they often are) they just turn away animals. the real solution is for people to just spay & neuter.

jf

Stac3y

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Two words: Sea Kittens.

What a bunch of loonies (PETA, not you guys.)

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
PETA is a lunatic fringe group, that gives the animal rights activists a very bad name.

They will go through rather unorthodox means to try to "save" animals from "cruelty," even if it means wrecking things along the way.

Back in the earlier part of this decade, we had some PETA freaks, who tried to break into our lab, just because they heard that we were using mice as lab animals. They even tried to assert that we were bombarding them with high energy, powerful radiation, and letting them slowly die. I think I still have one of their flyers somewhere, where they were criticizing our lab.

So, one night, they used crowbars, and busted into the lab's entrance. They tried to get access to the room where the mice were being kept, but those doors were reinforced, so in their typical flaky fashion, they gave up trying to pull this crap off.

After that incident, we swapped out the conventional doors with steel reinforced ones, and installed security cameras.

So... What exactly was going on in our lab? Simple. We would inject mice with samples, and trace the flow using our ordinary magnetic resonance imaging machine. We kept them very well-fed, and in great health. When it came time to dispose of them, they were quickly euthanized, and they didn't suffer.

For some stupid reason, when these PETA freaks saw that we are a Nuclear Magnetic Resonance lab, they asserted that we were bombarding these poor animals with nuclear radiation (even though not a single isotope in our lab is radioactive). Sheer ignorance and misinformation spreading, indeed, but that's their typical mode of operation.

Still, I shudder to think what could have happened if these idiots were able to get into the lab. We have several liquid helium-cooled superconducting magnets in there, and no magnetically-sensitive material is allowed within 5 meters of any of the magnets (except for the cryoprobe), especially the unshielded 600 MHz one. If any of those ninnies had entered that room wielding iron crowbars, it wouldn't have been a pleasant sight. They could have easily wrecked millions of dollars worth of equipment, all due to their ignorance and stupidity, and devotion to their twisted cause.

And for what? The lives of a few mice that were living a good life anyways? The studies done on those mice have helped mankind, and in turn, could very well save the lives of someone, even those PETA ninnies.

jim777

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm not a fan of PETA, I don't really follow them but occasionally do see or hear of their 'stunts', as it were. I'm frankly very surprised by what appears to be very hypocritical action here. We've gotten all of our pets from shelters, and I know most of the shelters in South Jersey "trade" dogs that haven't been adopted to other shelters, so they get moved around a lot rather than destroyed if they don't get adopted. A dog may get its 30 days in Blackwood, then it's off to Voorhees for 30 days there, and so on. I think its sad that PETA feels these animals are better off dead than with someone else or in another system...

BrandonLucas

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Maybe we should treat children the same way in adoption centers. Those that get put into a home, great for them. Those that don't, well, let's just shoot them, because we all know they will end up being degerates of society anyway, and will probably wind up dead after being put on the welfare system for the rest of us to pay for.

Yeah, that makes total sense.

Latest Discussions