Equipment Advice

dbljranch

White Belt
Reaction score
Hello
I am fairly new to Martial Arts. I've been practicing Kenpo for about 7 months now. I got my yellow belt in December. We do sparing every other week at my school. So far, sparing is not on my fav list. Last nite, I took a hit in the ribs and another in the chest. I am now considering the purchase of some sort of chest protector. Does anyone have any advice on what type is good or what ones to stay away from. I tried looking at several web sites that carry equipment, but it is hard to determine which would work the best. I am female, so I don't know if I have to choose only from the female ones or what.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
First, welcome and happy posting! :wavey: Thanks for saying "hi".

Second, you might consider posting this in "General Martial Arts", "Kenpo" or "Women of the Martial Arts" - you'll get more responses. Since I've been in TKD for 20 years and never had a chest protector, I'm afraid I can't be of much help. You're not the only one to have that question, though - it's come up before, here, here, and here - just as examples, and so you know you're not the only one.

OP
D

dbljranch

White Belt
Reaction score
Thanks for your response. I will try posting there and see what happens. If I don't hear anything, I will just order one and give it a try. I really don't like sparring anyway, but..................

The Kidd

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Welcome! I usual don't wear one but if you are going to get one go for the ones that tie around the neck as well as velcro in the back and tie in the back. They are better for support and do not give as much during sparring. You will see the ones that are smaller and only tie or velcro around the middle and they will slip and slide on you.

Jade Tigress

RAWR
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Welcome to Martial Talk! I know there are some decent chest protectors for women out there. I'll see what I can find and look for your other thread. :)

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Welcome to MT! I'll let our learned women on here help ya with your question.:uhyeah:

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Welcome. I have a Golden Tiger chest protector from Kens Trading Co. But I hate it and have only worn it a couple of times in probably 20 years. Too bulky.

Latest Discussions