Hi, From Australia

flashlock

Banned Troll
Reaction score
Hello, everyone:

After a ten year + hiatus, I've been getting back into shape (I hit the gym 6 times a week now), and have been looking at everything from Vunak's street fighting systems to aikido. I've settled on BJJ after taking a few classes, and plan on studying it in about 3 months, when I should be in shape.

I hope this place isn't like some other boards that are a bit "over moderated". There is a difference between constructive criticism and arguing forcefully, and being abusive. Looks like the people here know the difference!

MSTCNC

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Hiya, Cobber!

Glad to have you on the forum, Mate!

What style did you study prior to the BJJ you'll be starting?

Your Brother in the arts,

Andrew

OP
flashlock

flashlock

Banned Troll
Reaction score
Hiya, Cobber!

Glad to have you on the forum, Mate!

What style did you study prior to the BJJ you'll be starting?

Your Brother in the arts,

Andrew

Hi, bro! I wrestled for 2 years in Middle and HS (I'm an American, btw, been living in Australia over 2 years). Then I did TKD for about 5 years, with a smattering of aikido and ninjutsu. Most recently, have been studying Paul Vunak's RAT system with my brother in law, who studied it for 5 years.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
And here's another - welcome, and happy posting! :wavey:

Congrats on being one of the few who actually decided to get back into shape and come back, instead of saying "I'll come back when I get back into shape"!

OP
flashlock

flashlock

Banned Troll
Reaction score
And here's another - welcome, and happy posting! :wavey:

Congrats on being one of the few who actually decided to get back into shape and come back, instead of saying "I'll come back when I get back into shape"!

Thank you! Regarding really getting into shape, I was vacationing in Tasmania, and something just clicked during all my hikes, and it was like--no more messing around, full-throttle, back to the real me. Gym 6 times a week, I quite drinking. Been going strong sin Jan 1. 2007 is THE year.

It's funny, I actually decided on BJJ from a dream. I dreampt this older, stocky military guy was mad at me and trying to box me. I didn't want to hurt him, but from my JKD training, I didn't have much choice. Suddenly I just decided to try BJJ and took him down with a double leg takedown, then put him in an arm bar. I kept letting him up, and I would respond with various BJJ moves. Very strange!

Anyway, thanks again!

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I hope this place isn't like some other boards that are a bit "over moderated". There is a difference between constructive criticism and arguing forcefully, and being abusive. Looks like the people here know the difference!

Greetings and Welcome to MT..I think you will like it here..I am a member of a couple of other sites but I spend the majority of my time here...

kuntawguro

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
G'day, take your shoes off and get comfortable. Just make yourself at home and enjoy the great company.

Latest Discussions