Enviro-kook takes hostages at Discovery Channel HQ

OP
Archangel M

Archangel M

Senior Master
Reaction score
I can't help but wonder what the conversation here would have been like if the nut had taken over CNN demanding that they report that the President was not a natural born citizen? And that he had had an awakening after watching Glenn Beck.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I can't help but wonder what the conversation here would have been like if the nut had taken over CNN demanding that they report that the President was not a natural born citizen? And that he had had an awakening after watching Glenn Beck.

Something like this? ;)

OK_City_TV_Show_Transcript.Par.0007.ImageFile.jpg

chrispillertkd

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yes. Pop that champagne. It'd could only be better if he'd killed a few people before he was taken down. That'd really show Al Gore!

Oh, I thought the taking of hostages was enough. But since you're advocating even more violence you must be one of those evil, knuckle dragging conservatives. A Tea Party member, too, no doubt.

Pax,

Chris

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yes. Pop that champagne. It'd could only be better if he'd killed a few people before he was taken down. That'd really show Al Gore!

Such a senario would have been much more useful to HC, Inc.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
+1 to what Steve said.

What is up with you people? Take a step back and listen to yourselves.

WC_lun

Senior Master
Reaction score
Great post Steve.

Look guys, anyone preaching hate and fear of other people, in my book are a problem. Doesn't matter if it comes from the left or the right.

chrispillertkd

Senior Master
Reaction score
+1 to what Steve said.

What is up with you people? Take a step back and listen to yourselves.

Go back and reread the first few pages of the thread on the cabbie being stabbed. That incident was called "a modern day lynching." The "Tea Party-ish side of the Republican Party [was] whipping up hysteria." Obviously the crime was committed by the same kind of yokels who think "All 1.6 billion of the worlds Muslims are even now, actively conspiring to kill us all, all us non-Muslims." The whole thing was premeditated "Because this guy was probably pissed off at the Muslim population as a whole, and was seeking out anyone of that faith, to attack. He probably would have done the same thing if he walked up to a passerby or street vendor."

I won't even bother to quote from off-site sources.

Oops. The attacker was a film school guy who worked for a liberal organization.

Go back and look through media reports about the man who flew his plane into the IRS building in Austin, TX. It was reported in the beginning that he was probably some right-wing nut. It wasn't until his suicide note came out that it was admitted he was basically a Marxist. Oops.

When the Times Square Bomber happened NYC's mayor came out on national television and said that he thought it was probably the work of "someone with a political agenda who doesn't like the health care bill or something." You know, like those evil conservatives. In the words of Rep. Alan Grayson (Democrat) from the floor of the house, said: "If you get sick, America, the Republican health care is: Die quickly." Because, obviously, conservatives are evil.

As it turns out, the Time Square Bomber was a Muslim terrorist. Oops.

I could go on, but I think perhaps you are beginning to see my point.

The people posting here are simply pointing out that the horrible crime that the Discovery Channel Bomber (boy that's a weird combination of words) was motivated, by his own admission, by the Left's favorite substitute for the eschatological apocalypse: environmentalism.

You don't have to excuse people for taking an opportunity to engage in a little sarcasm about the man's motivation. IMNSHO, we don't need to be excused. But perhaps you can see that the general tenor in this country breaks down something along the lines of: if something bad happens the media and cultural "elites" present it as probably being the result of a conservative motivated by conservative principles. Conservatives, the Tea Party, etc. are all a step away from Neanderthals (and frankly the main stream media isn't sure if the step is upwards on the evolutionary scale).

Except in a lot of cases when things come to light it's an example of DA Nifong's (who was pursuing several white students at Duke University for gang raping a black woman, until it turns out she had fabricated the events) statement: "The narrative was properly about race, sex and class... We went a beat too fast in assuming that a rape took place... We just got the facts wrong. The narrative was right, but the facts were wrong."

The narrative was right. That sums up a lot of things here in 21st century America.

Pax,

Chris

Last edited:

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
This guy is a left wing nut. Those guys were right wing nuts. Operative word here is nuts.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did you actually read his 'manifesto'? Do you really think it's politically motivated? Dear lord, the man was sick or nuts if you prefer, he wasn't rational, he wasn't right in the head.
Did you see the hate he had for children and humans? Do you think thats normal, that there wasn't something wrong in his head and you are bickering to the point of being hysterical about his 'political' motivations. he didn't have any..he was however seriously disturbed. That writing is not the sharp points of a political agitator it's the ramblings of someone needing serious help from mental health professionals.
http://abcnews.go.com/US/discovery-channel-attack-inside-james-lee-takedown/story?id=11541307&page=1

It's not a witch hunt it is a sad case which ended with only him dead but had the potential to be a lot worse. Get a grip gentlemen, it's ridiculous your political hatreds are sounding rabid and unsound now.

OP
Archangel M

Archangel M

Senior Master
Reaction score
When is someone going to realize that the point here really has nothing to do with the mentally ill guy?

I think chrispillertkd is onto something. ;)

Why no calls for "moderation" on the cabbie slashing thread? hmmm...

Last edited:

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I haven't been back there (to the Cabbie thread) since I posted in it and my memory might be faulty with regard to what I wrote but I thought that what I said there was pretty middle-of-the-road?

I intended to say something about a climate of fear being fostered by all media and political sources to polarise opinions to the extremes - whether that is actually what came out of what I said there I don't recall but that is certainly my position.

Same thing here - the poor crazy loon is dead. Be satisfied with that (and that noone else got killed) rather than trying to build a case for the 'rightness' of the Right and the 'wrongness' of the Left. It could very easily be one of us that ends up being the whacked whack job. It only takes a few chemicals to get out of balance in your brain and off you go ...

OP
Archangel M

Archangel M

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hmm. This guy obviously was a believer in the religion of radical environmentalism. He was also armed. Now can we talk about who’s clinging to their guns and religion?

OP
Archangel M

Archangel M

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hmm..if Jon Stewart were to make a joke about this it would be cutting edge political commentary. If someone here posts something about the oddity of the situation its devisiveness. Interesting.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Hmm..if Jon Stewart were to make a joke about this it would be cutting edge political comedy. If someone here posts something about the oddity of the situation its devisiveness. Interesting.
I fixed that for you. Commentary and comedy aren't the same thing. And for what it's worth, he's pretty damned funny whether he's skewering the right or the left.

5-0 Kenpo

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I fixed that for you. Commentary and comedy aren't the same thing. And for what it's worth, he's pretty damned funny whether he's skewering the right or the left.

So was Janeane Garofolo and Al Franken, right?

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did you see the little children being taken from out of there? The people that could have been your families, the worry of the hostages loved ones? I guess not. it was a hostage situation that could have turned really nasty really quickly, as it is one man is dead, it could have been many. I suppose when you are consumed by political hatred you see very little from behind those blinkers.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
So was Janeane Garofolo and Al Franken, right?
Garafalo went over the deep end. I haven't heard anything that wasn't hateful from her in years.

Al Franken is more like Rush Limbaugh than Jon Stewart, in that Al and Rush make (or in Al's case made) a living translating current events into bite sized chunks for an audience already in agreement. Any comedy either of them do is incidental to their larger role as opinion peddlers.

Jon Stewart makes a living lampooning and satirizing government at large. He goes after both sides as well as popular media. But I'd bet you don't actually watch the show, so you wouldn't know that.

Don't get me wrong. I don't care one way or the other if you watch or like The Daily Show. It's just ignorant to suggest that it has anything to do with blatantly partisan talk radio programming from either the right or the left.

WC_lun

Senior Master
Reaction score
I watch The Daily Show. I think the show deserves the awards it has gotten. I've noticed they pretty much poke fun at the hypocrits, hate mongers, and politicians who don't seem to be in touch with reality. Doesn't seem to matter which side of the isle they are from, which makes it better in my opinion.

The Discovery thing was a tragedy all the way around. You've got people who were victimized and traumatized. You have a mentaly ill man who lost his life. Because his mentally imbalanced mind fixated on ecology, some choose to brand him as a left leaning kook, so that they can point at the left and go "See! They are just as bad as the right!" According to his manifesto, he didn't apear to have any political agenda, nor was his actions helped formed by anyone else. He was just insane. Not politically right or left insane, just insane.

Latest Discussions