Enviro-kook takes hostages at Discovery Channel HQ

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Who said that I can't.

You seem to like to throw stones alot, Tez, without trying to understand what people are actually saying.

I never said that this guy didn't have a mental problem. I am pointing to the current trend on this site, and, quite frankly, in the most television and print news. We tend to label people who do crazy things on the right as "right-wing extremists", "right-wing wackos", or "right-wing (insert dispariging name here).

But there is always seems to be some "reason" when someone on the left does it.

Why can't you see what people write for what it is, rather then what you want it to be?

Why can't you see what you think you are writing isn't what comes out when put down in words? You may mean what you wrote above to be what you said the first time, it wasn't, you accused people of thinking left wing terrorism is mental illness while right wing terrorism is evil.

You talk about what you perceive in your country forgetting that there are people from many countries posting here so what you see as self evident isn't to the rest of us and then you get snippy because we don't see things as you do. Okay it's a website run by an American but it's open to all, everyone can express opinions and it is educational to see how others do and think about things. A great many things that happen in American do impinge, sometimes greatly, on what happens in the rest of the world so you will have to understand the great interest in what happens in your country.

In the UK you will find far more headlines saying' left loonies' than you will right loonies.
I watch the Discvoery Channel so am also naturally interested in what goes on there when something like this happens.

5-0 Kenpo

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Why can't you see what you think you are writing isn't what comes out when put down in words? You may mean what you wrote above to be what you said the first time, it wasn't, you accused people of thinking left wing terrorism is mental illness while right wing terrorism is evil.

For some reason, you seem to have that problem alot more then anyone else here, including people from places other then the U.S.

You talk about what you perceive in your country forgetting that there are people from many countries posting here so what you see as self evident isn't to the rest of us and then you get snippy because we don't see things as you do.

Don't forget about it. In fact, I often try to note where most people come from, including different places within the U.S.

But, I'm not going to change the way I write for two separate and completely different understandings of what left and right is based on country. More then likely, that will only lead to further confusion.

This was an event that happened in the U.S. I am a United States citizen.

Like I said, try to understand what people are actually writing, rather then what you perceive they are writing.

Okay it's a website run by an American but it's open to all, everyone can express opinions and it is educational to see how others do and think about things. A great many things that happen in American do impinge, sometimes greatly, on what happens in the rest of the world so you will have to understand the great interest in what happens in your country.

That's funny, because you often rail about how people outside of the U.S. couldn't care less about what goes on here.

In the UK you will find far more headlines saying' left loonies' than you will right loonies.

Ok, but this event didn't happen in the U.K. If it does, you write it as you see fit, and I will try to understand it from your / the U.K. perspective, and respond accordingly.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I never said that this guy didn't have a mental problem. I am pointing to the current trend on this site, and, quite frankly, in the most television and print news. We tend to label people who do crazy things on the right as "right-wing extremists", "right-wing wackos", or "right-wing (insert dispariging name here).

But there is always seems to be some "reason" when someone on the left does it.

Why can't you see what people write for what it is, rather then what you want it to be?
Hey. I'm reading through some of the later posts and stumbled onto this. Could this be where the disconnect is? If you believe this, let me assure you that I have no problem at all calling this guy a "left wing whacko." Because that's what he is. In much the same way that others are referred to as Right Wing Whackos. Other nutjobs on the left would include people who spike trees, killing or severely injuring loggers. Or people who throw red paint on women wearing fur coats.

The defining word, however, is whacko, and that can apply to both sides of the political spectrum.

I'll also agree with you guys that the media and political leadership needs to take some responsibility on both sides. Harbingers of doom, whether it's on the side of the left or right, will tend to make the crazies come out.

Ultimately, I see this again being a really good reason to value moderate voices and re-examine moderate positions. If you are railing against one extreme position with your own equally extreme position, I don't see how there's much room to get anything done.

Latest Discussions