Embarrassing moments in the dojo

Kenpoguy123

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Hey guys thought it'd be fun to have a laugh at ourselves and share embarrassing stories that have happened to us in martial art training. Just to share a bit of humour on these boards :)

I'll start us off when I was a white belt when I was about 8 I was in class with about 30 other kids from 6-10 and I hadn't tied my gi trousers up properly because I was only young didnt understand it so we were doing basics up and down the class and my trousers fell down revealing my very embarrassing teenage mutant ninja turtle briefs. Let's just say I was very embarrassed

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
When I was probably about 16, I was kickboxing with one of my instructors (on the mats rather than in a ring). At the time I weighed a little under 120, and he was probably around 180. He had me in a clinch, and I wanted out of it pretty badly. The second I got free, I jumped back, but unfortunately that was the same second he decided to break the clinch by pushing me away. My jumping back combined with a force 60 pounds heavier than me pushing me back resulted in me hitting the wall pretty loudly. No damage done, but 16 year old me was pretty embarrassed that everyone saw what looked like him getting thrown into a wall in the middle of a spar.

hilly1981

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Black belt grading - wood break fail.

This was right at the end of the grading. Battled through doped up on pain killers due to intense migraine. Still performed well until..

I couldnt break the board. Simple sliding side kick. Nailed it in practice run the day before with no issues. 3 attempts on the night and couldnt break it. I was positioning myself slightly too close to the board. Never admitted I had a migraine to my master, however this would go down as the most humiliating experience in my martial arts career. Especially with so many watching.

Anyway re-sit on another day. Clear mind broke straight through first go. Hardest but most relieving kick of my life.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I just remembered another one, although not entirely embarrassing for me as much as for my fellow student. During high school, a bunch of us would sometimes stop by a pizza place after school on the way to the dojo, and see who could eat the most. Incredibly stupid idea, but that's what we did. Somehow one of our Senseis got wind of this practice, so whenever he believed we had gotten pizza beforehand, he would put out buckets and turn the day into a workout day, trying to get us to puke. One of my friends puked about 5 separate times before he finally decided to stop stuffing himself before class.

We were stupid.

RTKDCMB

Senior Master
Reaction score
I have seen a student punch themselves in the face performing an upward elbow, a student chop themselves in the groin performing low section knife hand blocks and I once saw a student kick himself in the groin performing a front kick.

twendkata71

Black Belt
Reaction score
During my last brown belt test before black belt, I ripped out the back end of my gi bottoms. Was not allow to change. finished the test with my backside showing. Very embarrassing stuff.

ShawnP

Blue Belt
Reaction score
a mishap in the Dojo that was not me, we had purchased a rocking dummy, the base was a rounded cement base that would center itself after the dummy was hit, the dummy was just a rubber air filled shaped like a person. a few weeks later we had a new female student join, she had been in for about 3 days learning basic warm ups and stretching when she decided to walk up to the dummy and as hard as she could and with a very loud "SLAP" kicked the cement base thinking it was just a rubber air filled base, i was on the mat going over some techniques with a student and watched as she kicked it and then walked it off into the back room as if nothing had happened, she was ok and eventually limped her way out after class. just the look on her face was priceless!

ozm8ey

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
First day: just happened to be a fitness day I threw up. I swear it was like doing special forces training. They pushed us way beyond our limits. Hardest day ever

ShawnP

Blue Belt
Reaction score
the most embarrassing thing that happened to me, i had bought a heavy bag stand for my head stundents "school" classes, he was teaching at night in the Knights of Columbus. and we had set it up before his class came in and i was throwing some spinning hook kicks up high and my planted foot slid out from under me as i was stepping in while spinning. i ended up taking him down and we both ended up under the back end of the stand. i think my head hit the floor because all i remember was starting the spin and then blackness. yes we were both ok and laughed pretty much all night about it.

NinjaChristian

Green Belt
Reaction score
During my yellow belt testing, my instructor asked me how many states there were in the U.S.. I answered very confidently: "52". :facepalm::banghead:

donald1

Senior Master
Reaction score
I've split my pants when dropping into a low posture more times than I can remember.
Once my instructor did that. I dont think anyone say the rips but when he went to do techniques in horse stance they ripped a couple times.

Last edited:

Latest Discussions