Election Dilemma

S

Spud

As my state is locked in Bush's column I'm trying to figure out how to make the most of my limited vote. I'm torn between voting for Kerry or supporting a 3rd party candidate.

I am sick of the two parties and their entrenched structures - The party bosses were pushing hard for Kerry over Dean (big mistake IMHO). Plus the way the two parties have bounced the League of Women Voters out of the debates is despicable.

Dumb question, but do third parties get any benefit from federal campaign funds based upon vote tallies in previous elections? The Libertarians and Greens are attractive, but both have some items in their platforms that I take exception to. I've voted for Nader twice, but his shtick is tired and I believe he would benefit from medication and therapy.

Clearly I want Kerry to beat Bush, but - the Electoral College vote will determine the election and my state is spoken for.

I dunno, I'm not even asking a coherent question, just looking to kick around ideas.

OP
R

raedyn

I, too, am curious if the 'other' parties benefit from yr vote in the US.

In Canada, the feds dish out a certain (very small) dollar amount per vote the party recieved - provided the party had at least 3% of the popular vote. It's something like $1.90. Kinda weak, but to those tiny parties, it makes a difference.

someguy

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I understood what was said but alas I am ignorant.
I think that it will help third parties out to some extent to vote for them. I'm sure there are people more knowledgeable about this so I'll wait for them to speak.

pete

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Spud said:
Clearly I want Kerry to beat Bush, but - the Electoral College vote will determine the election and my state is spoken for.

I dunno, I'm not even asking a coherent question, just looking to kick around ideas.

just say no... stay home, don't waste your time, and don't bother voting

OP
M

Mark Weiser

big mistake not voting. People have died for your right to vote and in order to honor the ultimate gift go out and vote!

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Voting for a third party does many things.

If enough people do it, a message is sent to those in the "Big 2".

More to the point, if certain thresholds are hit, the party doesn't have to fight for a role on the following years elections.

It can mean obtaining federal election funds which can aid significantly in future campaigns.

Personally, I'm voting for a 3rd party. It is my hope that my vote will help aid a 3rd party in overtaking the huge self-fueled and self-protected lead that both of the 'Big 2" currently have, and someday will allow true democracy to return to this nation.

OP
S

Spud

Not voting doesn't even come up on my radar. That's a non-starter.

pete

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Mark Weiser said:
big mistake not voting. People have died for your right to vote and in order to honor the ultimate gift go out and vote!
wow, maybe they shoulda stayed home too...

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Right now to be on a ballot you need to gather signatures, and do alot of "proving" and "leg work" to get included.

I'm not sure what the number is, but if you hit a certain total in a previous year, you are (in most cases) automatically included on the ballot, as long as you maintain that minimum.

I'll do some more digging later and see if I can find out more info on that.

In any event, just get out and vote. The only real wasted vote, is a vote not cast.

OP
M

Mark Weiser

being a Parent I am tempted go out and get a switch and looks at pete lol!

OP
T

Tkang_TKD

Mark Weiser said:
being a Parent I am tempted go out and get a switch and looks at pete lol!
How about a tomahawk cruise missle...My choice of disciplinary tools :flammad:

Ping898

Senior Master
Reaction score
A 3rd party nominee needs to receive at least 5% of the popular vote (I think but may be electoral vote) this fall for the party to remain certified by the Federal Election Commission as a national party and be eligible for federal matching funds.

OP
T

Tkang_TKD

raedyn said:
remind me not to have kids with you, tkang.
LOL. I have a powerful voice. I need no weapons to scare my kids into maintaining discipline :D

OP
S

Spud

Ping898 said:
A 3rd party nominee needs to receive at least 5% of the popular vote (I think but may be electoral vote) this fall for the party to remain certified by the Federal Election Commission as a national party and be eligible for federal matching funds.
Seems like an pretty high standard, the reform and constitutional parties have been around for some time, yet they don't grab 5% of the general vote?

When Pat Buchanan ran on the Reform party platform in 2000 they obtained FEC funds.

An interesting link to FEC showing all the parties fielding candidates in 2000
http://www.fec.gov/pubrec/2000presgeresults.htm

Phoenix44

Master of Arts
Reaction score
IMO, there are NO states locked for Bush.

Here are 2 suggestions on what to do with your vote:

1. Take James Taylors' suggestion: Look at the two candidates real closely, and then vote for the one who's SMART.

2. Give me your vote...I'll be happy to cast it for you.

pete

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
i thought that along with the right to do something, also comes the right not to. hmmm.... ain't that a message too. people talk about choice, well...

oh, i see, maybe its better to throw a vote to encourage that wacko nader, or maybe gus hall, or pat paulsen, oh i know what about joe walsh... does he still run?

boy if i did know that you guys knew better, i'd look at some of these posts as physical threats...

peace,
pete

Latest Discussions