From the sublime to the ridiculous

P

PeachMonkey

I have to admit that the idea of Pat Robertson passing along his "divinely-inspired" advice on how to handle world affairs is enough to make me cackle, but Bush's supposed response is even more jaw-dropping:

http://www.cnn.com/2004/ALLPOLITICS/10/19/robertson.bush.iraq/index.html

Who knows if any of this is true? The idea that this is even "news", frankly, is rather surreal.

I'm still tickled at the battle of divine inspirations over a real-world %$*#-up.

Feisty Mouse

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I emphatically stated that, 'I believe 'the blessing of heaven is upon him,' and I am persuaded that he will win this election and prevail on the war against terror in order to keep America safe from her avowed enemies," Robertson said.In his CNN interview, the religious leader described Bush on the eve of the invasion as "the most self-assured man I've ever met in my life."

"You remember Mark Twain said, 'He looks like a contented Christian with four aces.' I mean he was just sitting there like, 'I'm on top of the world,' " Robertson said on CNN's "Paula Zahn Now."

"And I warned him about this war. I had deep misgivings about this war, deep misgivings. And I was trying to say, 'Mr. President, you had better prepare the American people for casualties.' "

He said that's when the president told him he did not expect casualties from the invasion.

start_quote.gif
Even if he stumbles and messes up -- and he's had his share of stumbles and gaffes -- I just think God's blessing is on him.
end_quote.gif

-- Christian Coalition founder Pat Robertson

1.gif
In the interview, Robertson also said he wishes Bush would admit to mistakes made.

"I mean, the Lord told me it was going to be A, a disaster, and B, messy," Robertson said. "I warned him about casualties."
I don't ever want an American President to look like he's "on top of the world" when going into war and putting lives deliberately in danger.

This is fascinating. I am stunned - I can't imagine why Robertson might make something like this up. Is Bush really SO naive??!?

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The words "Bush" and "Reality" simply do not belong together. His own words in the "Debates" proved that.

OP
P

PeachMonkey

A friend pointed out that this is the same Pat Robertson who, in 1992, published a book claiming that George HW Bush was a witting agent of the Antichrist on earth, who was ushering in a New World Order.

A week after the book's publication, Robertson then endorsed GHW Bush for president.

I wonder what these guys are on, and where I can get some.

hardheadjarhead

Senior Master
Reaction score
PeachMonkey said:
I have to admit that the idea of Pat Robertson passing along his "divinely-inspired" advice on how to handle world affairs is enough to make me cackle, but Bush's supposed response is even more jaw-dropping:

http://www.cnn.com/2004/ALLPOLITICS/10/19/robertson.bush.iraq/index.html

Who knows if any of this is true? The idea that this is even "news", frankly, is rather surreal.

I'm still tickled at the battle of divine inspirations over a real-world %$*#-up.

Pat Robertson was not keen on the war from the beginning...so his reservations are genuine. The supposed response from Bush isn't surprising, given his inability to deal with reality (as others mentioned here). More and more pundits are seeing this administration as not so much dishonest as it is clueless.

There is a very good write up in the New York Times online called "No Doubt" that addresses the President's view of the world. This eleven page article made me more sympathetic to Bush...and far more afraid of him than I've ever been. He truly believes what he says, it seems. The problem is that what he believes is not grounded in anything other than faith and optimism--not reason and data.

Regards,

Steve

Latest Discussions