EDC, rethinking options

Runs With Fire

Black Belt
Reaction score
I have been carrying now for a month or so. I carry a glock 20 or a R51. The glock is a bit big to carry while at work, but manageable. The remington R51 carrys better, but I like my 10mm auto. Trouble is, whatever I carry at work is likely yo get torn to shreds. Think new construction, carpet installation. Everything gets thouroghly saturated in dust. Everything gets jostled constantly. Everything gets bangged and marred rather quickly. I want a pistol that's ultra reliable under these conditions, and that I won't really care about. I looked at HI POINT at Cabelas today. Might fit the bill. Unconditional warrenty, reliable in reputation, cheap, looks lile it can handle abuse. But, they're freaking huge as a wide load trailer on a one lane street. Might be tough go conceal all but the .380. That's an itty bitty load. I don't know. Thoughts? Mabey other good options I don't know of?

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
I’ve never heard of hi-point being reliable in those conditions.

Matter of fact I’ve never heard of a hi-point being reliable in good conditions.

Also not a fan of .380.

Now that 9 mm come in small models the .380 has lost its niche

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
Im not a big fan of revolvers.....but this is a time I will suggest while working carrying a small snub nosed revolver and just keep it in your pocket.

OP
Runs With Fire

Runs With Fire

Black Belt
Reaction score
I’ve never heard of hi-point being reliable in those conditions.

Matter of fact I’ve never heard of a hi-point being reliable in good conditions.

Also not a fan of .380.

Now that 9 mm come in small models the .380 has lost its niche
The guys I know who have a hi-point consider them incredibly reliable, though they aren't exactly hard on their guns. I will ask guys who carry on the job what they like.

OP
Runs With Fire

Runs With Fire

Black Belt
Reaction score
Im not a big fan of revolvers.....but this is a time I will suggest while working carrying a small snub nosed revolver and just keep it in your pocket.
I love revolvers, but they have severe limitations. Still, I could see a 5 round .357. I am squeemish about a hot cylinder in my pocket. That makes it 4 rounds, or a 6 shooter down to five. Hmm, now to look at inexpensive wheel guns.

Deafdude#5

Green Belt
Reaction score
While Hi-Points are fairly rugged & reliable as blowback pistols. They are heavy for their size with zamak alloy in the slides and polymer frames.

You might want to rethink about carrying one all day.
A revolver is probably you best bet. Armscor actually makes a line of inexpensive revolvers beaded on the colt model.

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
You might want to rethink about carrying one all day.
however if your working at night or evenings, i can definitely understand the need to carry. Job sights get robed now as much as liquor stores depending on where your located.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've never owned a Hi Point, but their reputation for reliability has long been...a bit spotty.
Personally, if I wanted a more compact gun, I'd go with the Glock 26 or 43.

CrazedChris

Green Belt
Reaction score
My husband works construction and he carries a Walther CCP 9mm. When he is in extra dusty possible damaging areas, he keeps it near but not on. It also has a pretty nice warranty.
You might look into different holsters as well, as some are more protective than others.

I have a Bersa Thunder .380, which is pretty easy to conceal, but yeah, I wish I had gotten a 9mm, hindsight is 20/20, right?

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
My husband works construction and he carries a Walther CCP 9mm. When he is in extra dusty possible damaging areas, he keeps it near but not on. It also has a pretty nice warranty.

Dust won't hurt a handgun, and unless it's a piece of utter crap. Just give the gun a quick cleaning and it'll be fine.

I have a Bersa Thunder .380, which is pretty easy to conceal, but yeah, I wish I had gotten a 9mm, hindsight is 20/20, right?

That was Mrs Dogs first carry gun.
They're prone to a problem with one of the trigger connector springs malfunctioning, which means it's just a rock. The fix is easy and permanent, but if yours hasn't had it done, I'd get it done ASAP.
And their field striping procedure is a pain in the butt. Personally, I'd rather break down a 1911 than a Bersa/Walther stye gun. One of the reason I carry Glocks is how easy they are to strip down and clean quickly.

CrazedChris

Green Belt
Reaction score
Dust won't hurt a handgun, and unless it's a piece of utter crap. Just give the gun a quick cleaning and it'll be fine.
Yes, it is just a matter of his choice on that one, I don't argue with it. ;)

They're prone to a problem with one of the trigger connector springs malfunctioning, which means it's just a rock. The fix is easy and permanent, but if yours hasn't had it done, I'd get it done ASAP.

Good to know, I will look into that, thanks. I plan on trading it/replacing it for a different one sooner than later. :)

OP
Runs With Fire

Runs With Fire

Black Belt
Reaction score
however if your working at night or evenings, i can definitely understand the need to carry. Job sights get robed now as much as liquor stores depending on where your located.
They get hit once in a while around here. Alot of workers leave tools and equipment overnight. I still burn the midnight oil now and then. I also work a lot of side jobs after hours and on weekends. Often in cheap rentals downtown and a few old trailer parks. One of the parks around had a shooting recently. I have considered just keeping a pistol in my toolbox, but toolboxes are prime for stealing; full of expensive tools, hard to track, easy to sell. Plus, alot of homebuyers show up with their children to see the newly carpeted floors. Some kids can't keep their hands off things.

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
We used to use a farrier that caught live rattlesnakes and kept them in his toolbox to show people.......no one ever stole his tool for some reason.

Deafdude#5

Green Belt
Reaction score
S&W Sigmas are budgetline Glock copies. Ruger also carries their SR & American series. Both are very affordable.

Kong Soo Do

IKSDA Director
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As I mentioned in your other thread, a Ruger LCP/LC9/LC9s or EC9s would be a good choice and several levels above a HP pistol. Nothing wrong with a Taurus PT709 Slim either. And any of those choices are going to be $250 or less.

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
I think Hi-Points are Equal Opurtunity Malfunctioners and don’t discriminate against different types of ammo.

Kong Soo Do

IKSDA Director
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can Hi Points cycle hollow points reliably?

There is no reason to get a Hi Point when you can get a Taurus or even a Ruger at about the same price point. For the most part, today's Taurus firearms are very well made and good choices for the price point. Ruger is simply a well made firearm.

Latest Discussions